PDA

View Full Version : Very Worthy and CHEAP Pocket Composition Book Review

RayCornett
July 30th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I just got this awesome little 3 pack of composition books perfect for back pockets.

Just over $2 for a 3 pack with red , black , and blue. Made in India with FSC Mix paper. The FSC is a nonprofit organization doing good things for our forest growth. The one odd thing is inconsistent paper color. One book is white paper . The other two are shades of off white paper. No big deal since its just for notes on the fly. Not anything important.

My initial test was when I was sleepy and in bed for the night and just about to turn out the lights. The pen I was testing the paper with was my Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper with an X4(EF)nib. It turned out that the pen needed ink. But I just went to bed.

I filled the pen today, and even with a fresh fill there was so much skipping and scratching it was almost as if the pen were still needing a refill. However, when I tested with my Snorkel Statesman with an F nib it did flawlessly. No feathering, no bleeding except where I did the solid section of scribbling at the bottom which will pretty much bleed through most papers.

I just wanted to see how solid it got. The bottom solid writing is the Statesman with the fine nib. The rest is the Clipper with the X4 EF nib both needing a fill and after fill. No real difference in the X4 whether filled or needing a fill which is why I think the nib is just too fine for the paper. The writing is sloppy but this is because I wrote them in a way that I was mimicking how I would write them if I had to write on the fly. Standing holding the book in my hand.

So, to me, for less than $3 this little 3 pack of pocket size composition books will be a keeper. If you don't need expensive paper/journals for your simple note taking/lists making, etc, I would recommend checking the office supply section of your local Walmart and picking up a pack or few before Walmart decides to stop carrying them. They were in the same area as office supplies and packing materials like box tape and bubble wrap.1307713078

scrivelry
August 1st, 2014, 06:45 AM
OOOOH - seems like the kind of thing Walmart carries during the Back to School sales and not normally, so I'll drop in and have a look.

Dollar tree had nice little packs of three similar books, but I have not seen them yet this year. :-(

Sailor Kenshin
August 1st, 2014, 07:03 AM
The Dollar Tree minis have India paper. Excellent. Last year I grabbed a few packs.

KBeezie
August 1st, 2014, 07:23 AM
Hrm I have a few of those in different colors, but I don't recall which country they're made in, just that from one to the other it's a little inconsistent.

Where did you get yours? I have no clue where mine are from, just that my dad keeps mailing me stuff (mostly useless stuff cuz I got a "hobby" so suddenly he must mail me every non-working ballpoint pen he finds in a good will or something, or a stack of warped journals from salvation army... lol).

Sailor Kenshin
August 1st, 2014, 01:20 PM
Well...Dollar Tree.

They haven't yet re-stocked for back-to-school. I hope these will still be available.

scrivelry
August 3rd, 2014, 03:28 PM
I got some yesterday, but I think these may have been hanging around since last year - there were 16 packs of 3 and I bought 15 of them, since I have not seen them put out new for fall yet...

Sailor Kenshin
August 3rd, 2014, 05:14 PM
Went to Dollar Tree today. No mini-comp books left. :(

scrivelry
August 3rd, 2014, 05:20 PM
I got mine a ways from you, so that wasn't me... but I am going to look around wherever I happen to see a DT for them, and if I find a bunch, do you want me to pick some up for you?

Sailor Kenshin
August 3rd, 2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the kind offer, Scrivelry! :)

RayCornett
August 18th, 2014, 11:20 PM
That's exactly what it is. They now have about 100 packs or more on the shelves. I think I was wrong on the price. I think they are closer to a buck! They also offer them on their website.

RayCornett
August 18th, 2014, 11:22 PM
I got them from Walmart and am going to pick up another stack before the students get them all. Once I found out an F nib or thicker works on them they work very well. As for the country, it is a mix of new and recycled so it could be paper from anywhere really.