PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc Permanent Grey / Iroshizuku Yamaguri - writing sample

7188photo
July 31st, 2014, 08:35 AM
This is not an extensive review, but just a couple of detail pictures of Montblanc's Permanent Grey limited ink and Iroshizuku's Yamaguri.
As some of you know I'm writing a monthly newsletter about photography, visual arts and Japan - by hand - and besides from sending it to someone I always scan it and include the letter as pdf next to a transcribed electronic version so that all subscribers can read it. Since I joined this forum this month I thought I could share some of that writing with you guys and kill two birds with one stone.

This is the first page as an overview:
http://holgerferoudj.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/LETTER07_01.jpg

And here some detail shots:

http://holgerferoudj.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/LETTER07_01-3.jpg

http://holgerferoudj.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/LETTER07_07.jpg

Montblanc Permanent Grey:
Got this ink only recently and it's loaded in my Rotring ArtPen right now. Might be a tiny bit tinted with Midnight Blue since I didn't wash the nib out completely, therefore I included two samples, the first one from when I started writing, and the one from later, when most of the Midnight Blue should've disappeared.
Haven't completely made up my mind yet to be honest. It's lovely grey-greenish, but as with other grey inks, as well, you have to like that kind of "thin" and "faded" look. Would probably work well together with a bolder ink like Midnight Blue (e.g. Midnight blue for headlines and grey for normal text). And I suspect the grey comes out bolder with a very wet pen.
(note: on the first picture I also added some shading with a black brush top-right - that's not the grey ink)

http://holgerferoudj.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/LETTER07_01-2.jpg

Iroshizuku Yamaguri
Got this ink quite a long time ago, but haven't used it ever since I laid hands on Midnight Blue. Didn't know the Iroshizuku inks were so popular outside of Japan - reading about them here on this forum a lot, I felt like using it again and filled my new Kaweco Liliput Brass (M nib) with it.
Had only used it on a LAMY Safari before, on white paper, and either because the Safari was wetter or because the paper was white, I remember the ink being bolder. I think it's a beautiful brown tone, with not all that much variation, but just overall a bit too thin in the setup I used. Two thin inks maybe don't work all that well together. I do have some very slight feed problems with the Kaweco Liliput, too. That is, after writing a couple of lines, it would run noticeably dryer, and I have to give it a quick shake to bring the inkflow back. I generally prefer a wetter flow.

The paper is midori paper, cream color.

Did I forget to mention anything? Let me know :)

Lastly, this is the overview of the whole letter by the way. Still have to put together the printable pdf and am going to send the whole thing out on Saturday or Sunday. Feel free to sign up at http://holgerferoudj.com/real-letter if you are interested to see the whole letter, but if you're really only interested in writing/ink samples you don't need to sign up, because I will try to get some representative detail shots like this directly into the forum from now on, if there is any interest and if I find the time. I usually use this monthly letter as a playground for new calligraphic styles, new inks, new pens, etc as much as for sharing photos, discussing creativity and photography, and things like that :)

http://holgerferoudj.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/theREALletter07_mockup_s.jpg

jacksterp
August 10th, 2014, 02:03 PM
That's one hell of a letter!

Oh yeah, nice handwriting and ink by the way...

7188photo
August 11th, 2014, 02:46 AM
That's one hell of a letter!

Oh yeah, nice handwriting and ink by the way...

Thank you!
Still working on the handwriting, but the ink is really nice. Have been using the permanent grey a bit longer now, in the Kaweco Liliput, and it comes out much darker than here, with a nice shade. I like it!

Oh and yes, whenever I write the letter it is getting out of control. It is quite fascinating to see how much longer something handwritten is compared to the same thing typed out ;)

Tony Rex
August 14th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Great review, mate. Keep em coming! :) Yama guri happens to be my favourite iroshizuku! I hate to be that guy, but...

I found the drying time of the Montblanc appalling. It takes at least two minutes on RHODIA :(

I love the colour, I really do. But I think I'll stick to oyster grey for the real world.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3899/14914287221_1125f240bb_c.jpg

Tony

7188photo
August 15th, 2014, 03:23 AM
Great review, mate. Keep em coming! :) Yama guri happens to be my favourite iroshizuku! I hate to be that guy, but...

I found the drying time of the Montblanc appalling. It takes at least two minutes on RHODIA :(

I love the colour, I really do. But I think I'll stick to oyster grey for the real world.

Tony

Thank you Tony!
Your drying time test is really impressive haha, I wonder why the MB one takes such a long time to dry!

Honestly though, I never had problems with the drying time so far, but I'm not writing on Rhodia paper, that might be the reason! I'm usually writing on Midori paper and the drying time is perfectly practical for their 64p traveler notebook refills and the letter paper.
However, thinking about it, on their 128p super thin paper refill I experienced long dry times that bothered me (because after I opened the book later I realized that one page partly printed onto the opposite one.

Quite fascinating actually what huge difference the paper can make!

Have a wonderful weekend,
Holger

Marsilius
August 19th, 2014, 08:18 PM
BTW, I like that bit about the Cicadas.

7188photo
August 20th, 2014, 06:31 PM

Thanks Marsilius :) Right now many of them are dying each day and lying on the ground everywhere. Problem is some are still half alive and when you pass them they suddenly come back from the dead and fly into you while making their deafening screams.

Tony Rex
August 21st, 2014, 12:39 AM
Quite fascinating actually what huge difference the paper can make!

True. I've found it's quite acceptable fifteen seconds on laser paper using an EF nib. This ink doesn't like coated papers at all.

Marsilius
August 21st, 2014, 11:51 PM

Thanks Marsilius :) Right now many of them are dying each day and lying on the ground everywhere. Problem is some are still half alive and when you pass them they suddenly come back from the dead and fly into you while making their deafening screams.
I remember that all too well. Some years up they would say two different types were coming out apt he same year and they would be everywhere.
Would cicada ink be green and blue with a gold sheen? Maybe a nice Jentle or Herbin ink?

chatminouche
August 22nd, 2014, 11:08 AM
What a great idea with the letter! I love combining digital and handmade... it gives your letter that personal feel... thanks for sharing!

7188photo
August 24th, 2014, 07:36 PM
I remember that all too well. Some years up they would say two different types were coming out apt he same year and they would be everywhere.
Would cicada ink be green and blue with a gold sheen? Maybe a nice Jentle or Herbin ink?

Not sure about the amount, but there are definitely different kinds that make different annoying sounds, as you surely remember - they're even named after the sound they make!
If a green and blue ink with gold sheen came out of the cicada thing then that would be awesome, but also likely the only good thing about cicadas or what they have inspired :P

7188photo
August 24th, 2014, 07:37 PM
What a great idea with the letter! I love combining digital and handmade... it gives your letter that personal feel... thanks for sharing!

Hey, thank you so much for your nice comment! It gives me a nice excuse to get more inks and actually use them each month :P