PDA

View Full Version : My modest collection...

rbiemer
June 19th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I haven't had any of these too long, I think I bought the first one 2 years back. That would be one of the Kaweco Sport Ice pens in the attached photo. Not sure now which one I got first the clear or the orange...
Got those after looking through Jetpens site. I had gone there to find some (sorry! :)) specific Pilot G-2 pens I couldn't source locally. Found those and then made the mistake of looking at the other cool pens/stuff they carry.

Top to bottom:
1)Some un-named glass pen--a little more on this one in a bit,
2) the previously shown (in another thread) Haolilai pen.
3) Hero 616 that I just got last week. Writes pretty well, tolerably fine point, it has burped at me a couple of times.
4) TWSBI 530, I bought this after using the Kawecos and wanting to a) not have to fill a pen as often as these required and b) I wanted the option to pick more colors. Medium nib and, frankly, it is broader than I'd like. I will likely buy the TWSBI ROC 540 later this summer but with a fine point. Or the VAC 700. Though I'd like that one better if there were a clear color available.
5) Kaweco Sport Ice Orange. No ink in that one right now. I will likely use it as an eye dropper filled pen next time I ink it.
6) Another Kaweco, clear. And this one I have made int an eyedropper pen. After seeing Brian Goulet's video about it and how simple it was for this pen, I did it. I use some of the silicone that came with the TWSBI pen. I am using Bay State Blue in it right now. Even with the potential damage issue with this ink I've read about, I figure that the pen is inexpensive enough that I will chance it. And, once my sample inks show up, I am likely to have a different Royal Blue to use as my day to day ink.

So, the glass pen. This one was a gift I'd had for several years before I started actually writing with FPs. Not sure who gave it to me it was from an Xmas gift exchange at work a long time back. And while the pen is sort of pretty(the cap is too large for the pen, I think, and there is this weird pink colored finial), the cap doesn't post and it is very heavy so I haven't wanted to carry it in a pocket. But it does have a very nice converter. NO wobble of the piston, it feels very precise in it workings and is nicely finished.
Likely I will use the converter at some point but don't think I will use the pen itself.

I know this is a paltry few compared to some of us around here but I'm happy with 'em! And, I really am trying to not collect pens* but to just build an assortment of good writing, good looking, and fun, pens to use.

I do apologize for the crappy phone camera photos, I didn't have my digi-wonder with me.
Cheers,
Rob

*Please don't take this as in any way denigrating collectors. I can only respect their passion and knowledge. I do collect other things so I "get it".
Personally, I tend to be a "completist" so if I were to start collecting pens, I'd end up trying to find and own , for example, every variation WW II lever fill American pens. Or something similar. :D
R

KrazyIvan
June 19th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Shhh then you must look at Esterbrook pens! :D

rbiemer
June 19th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Shhh then you must look at Esterbrook pens! :D
Not helping...:boom:

writingrav
June 19th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I haven't had any of these too long, I think I bought the first one 2 years back. That would be one of the Kaweco Sport Ice pens in the attached photo. Not sure now which one I got first the clear or the orange...
Got those after looking through Jetpens site. I had gone there to find some (sorry! :)) specific Pilot G-2 pens I couldn't source locally. Found those and then made the mistake of looking at the other cool pens/stuff they carry.

Top to bottom:
1)Some un-named glass pen--a little more on this one in a bit,
2) the previously shown (in another thread) Haolilai pen.
3) Hero 616 that I just got last week. Writes pretty well, tolerably fine point, it has burped at me a couple of times.
4) TWSBI 530, I bought this after using the Kawecos and wanting to a) not have to fill a pen as often as these required and b) I wanted the option to pick more colors. Medium nib and, frankly, it is broader than I'd like. I will likely buy the TWSBI ROC 540 later this summer but with a fine point. Or the VAC 700. Though I'd like that one better if there were a clear color available.
5) Kaweco Sport Ice Orange. No ink in that one right now. I will likely use it as an eye dropper filled pen next time I ink it.
6) Another Kaweco, clear. And this one I have made int an eyedropper pen. After seeing Brian Goulet's video about it and how simple it was for this pen, I did it. I use some of the silicone that came with the TWSBI pen. I am using Bay State Blue in it right now. Even with the potential damage issue with this ink I've read about, I figure that the pen is inexpensive enough that I will chance it. And, once my sample inks show up, I am likely to have a different Royal Blue to use as my day to day ink.

So, the glass pen. This one was a gift I'd had for several years before I started actually writing with FPs. Not sure who gave it to me it was from an Xmas gift exchange at work a long time back. And while the pen is sort of pretty(the cap is too large for the pen, I think, and there is this weird pink colored finial), the cap doesn't post and it is very heavy so I haven't wanted to carry it in a pocket. But it does have a very nice converter. NO wobble of the piston, it feels very precise in it workings and is nicely finished.
Likely I will use the converter at some point but don't think I will use the pen itself.

I know this is a paltry few compared to some of us around here but I'm happy with 'em! And, I really am trying to not collect pens* but to just build an assortment of good writing, good looking, and fun, pens to use.

I do apologize for the crappy phone camera photos, I didn't have my digi-wonder with me.
Cheers,
Rob

*Please don't take this as in any way denigrating collectors. I can only respect their passion and knowledge. I do collect other things so I "get it".
Personally, I tend to be a "completist" so if I were to start collecting pens, I'd end up trying to find and own , for example, every variation WW II lever fill American pens. Or something similar. :D
R

Its amazing how many pens it takes to have an assortment of good writing instruments. Me? I'm not an addict. I can quit anytime. Enjoy the madness.

fountainpenkid
June 19th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Here is my collection: All of the pens here are broken; the exeption being the P51 Gold filled vac. 654

KrazyIvan
June 20th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Its amazing how many pens it takes to have an assortment of good writing instruments. Me? I'm not an addict. I can quit anytime. Enjoy the madness.

You keep thinking that. :crazy_pilot:

rbiemer
June 21st, 2012, 04:49 AM
Turns out I missed a few: I have two Platinum Preppys and a Platinum Plasir around somewhere can't find 'em at the moment. They might be in my desk at work, I'll have to check when I get back there later today.
And I found the Noodler's pen I got last year. Not sure which one but I think it was their first fp they offered. Spent a little time yesterday cleaning it out and re-inking it.
It is a clear demonstrator pen but is now stained from the Bay State Blue ink I've been using in it so I refilled it with that same ink.
Writes well but is very light. Almost too small for me.
Rob

ianmedium
June 22nd, 2012, 11:25 PM
I love the diversity of your collection, the one with the tiger is amazing. I really love that one. I was lucky enough to Try Maja's TWSBI yesterday and was very impressed with it, lovely nib and it feels excellent quality. I don't have a demonstrator fountain pen so I think I will pick up a TWISBI one day, probably the VAC.

It is a shame you don't know where the Tiger pen comes from I would love one. One of my favourite poems as a child and still as an adult is "Tiger" by William Blake, this pen fits it perfectly!

The Tiger

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder and what art
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand and what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made the lamb make thee?

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

snedwos
June 23rd, 2012, 04:21 AM
Mongrel, mongrel, barking blight,
Bane upon my yard at night.
What infernal hand or eye
Could frame thy vile anatomy?

Opening line to "The Mongrel" by William Blake's Cat.

Maja
June 23rd, 2012, 10:45 AM
Nice collection, Rob! The pen with the tiger painted on it reminds me of this pen by Monteverde:
http://www.monteverdepens.com/painted.html

Norman at HisNibs.com used to sell them: http://www.hisnibs.com/mega_painted.htm
Thanks for sharing with us :)

rbiemer
June 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
Ianmedium and Maja; thanks! With out the cap, I agree, it is pretty. If it had the cap that the Montevetde does, I'd like it much better.
The TWSBI is my nicest pen, I think. I like it so well thay I just got another! The new one is the 540 ROC100 edition. Haven't used it yet.
Rob