PDA

View Full Version : Motor-Cars this Time

Cob
August 1st, 2014, 03:02 PM
Three car shots,

First the unique and very beautiful 1969 Ferrari 212E that won the European Hillclimb championship. Ferrari built one car and just two engines...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/117/317141949_8245ca4679_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/u2rfD)

Next, Mercedes is leading the current F1 world championship by a country mile: here's the engine of another Grand Prix-winning Mercedes - from 1914:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/120/314880044_5a573a8d4c_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/tPQSh)

And finally here's an infra-red shot of a car that I built: a highly-modified 1967 Lancia Fulvia:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2420/2136647888_8e54d7294b_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/4fNSYG)

Rgds

Cob

GING GING
December 4th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Test

sharmon202
December 10th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Ging Ging-a guy at work had one of these. In the morning when he started up to leave I could feel the vibration thru the building to my office 25 or 30 feet from the door. I was an awesome auto. Awesome gas hog. He did not keep it long. Enjoy, thanks for sharing.

mmahany
December 10th, 2014, 12:15 PM
This is my 06 Viper truck. The a Ram SRT10. 500 horses. 505 FT LBS OF TORQUE. V 10. Ten valves per cylinder. 7000 lbs and does 0 to 60 in just under five seconds

Unless that back seat is photoshopped, not it doesn't, lol. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's the SINGLE cabs that have the ability to do 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

I say "have the ability" because that's with a professional driver. The SRT Trucks have a very hard time hooking up and you'd be luck to do a 6-flat with street tires and normal pavement (not a track).

With that said, I have a lot of respect for those trucks. It's a shame they were discontinued. They respond EXTREMELY well to modifications.

Of note: I'm a former truck owner myself. I had a modified 1999 Chevy Silverado that did 500horsepower/550torque to the wheels. That's roughly 590hp/650tq if you want to compare flywheel numbers like the 500/505 numbers the srt10 ram was rated at.

Of course, that's not a fair comparison as my truck had full bolt-on modifications (camshaft, intake, exhaust, 3600 torque converter, 4.10 gears, etc) as well as a 150 shot of nitrous.

GING GING
December 10th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Test

Farmboy
December 13th, 2014, 12:43 AM
This is my 06 Viper truck. The a Ram SRT10. 500 horses. 505 FT LBS OF TORQUE. V 10. Ten valves per cylinder. 7000 lbs and does 0 to 60 in just under five seconds

How does that work?

GING GING
December 13th, 2014, 01:01 AM
Test

Quantum Sailor
December 13th, 2014, 02:09 AM
I actually think he was just referring to the fact that it doesn't have 10 valves per cylinder. The viper is a 10 cylinder engine but they use 4 valves per cylinder, they used 2 valves per cylinder in 06 but regardless, I have an automotive tech degree and I've never heard of a 10 valve per cylinder production vehicle. I admittedly don't know a tiny fraction of everything but i would also be curious about the design of a 10 valve per cylinder engine.

GING GING
December 14th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Test

lsmith42
December 14th, 2014, 09:33 PM
10 valves/cyl could be done with lots of little valves and tiny camshafts.

Who ever said that drawing attention to oneself ever demanded accuracy?

I drive a MINI. What are you compensating for?

Cob
December 15th, 2014, 02:09 AM
10 valves/cyl could be done with lots of little valves and tiny camshafts.

[snip]

Or an engine with very large bores indeed...

Cob

dannzeman
December 15th, 2014, 08:09 AM
As with all vehicles, you stick the key in the ignition. Turn the key. What else would you like to know smart ass. Yes, I mean smart ass, cause you sure ain't being friendly. Why don't you not say anything to me. Why is it that you're nasty towards me every time the opportunity presents itself? Are you jealous that you can't buy a 65 grand truck with a viper motor under the hood? Or, are you jealous that you can't afford to drop a couple grand on a pen! Yeah, I think it's both of the above. I always try to be friendly with people. Then some little twit like you thinks he's cool when he takes a jab at me.
Dude, chill out. The next time you're about to respond like this please step back from the computer and re-evaluate the situation. Notice, Farmboy emphasized the text "Ten valves per cylinder" which means he was asking specifically about that.

Quantum Sailor
December 15th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Wow, that's great that you're already here, Hey Quantum Sailor. A few days ago you spoke about the Conid pens. Are they what they're cooked up to be? I like the industrial look of them. I here you can get gold nibs but they don't mention that on their website

There has been a comprehensive review of them on the site done by Dan. I don't personally own one yet so I couldn't say but the people who do own them seem to like them in the posts they have made about them. When you go to order them the gold nib is an option on the order form, except for the slimline which seems to only have the steel available.

GING GING
December 15th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Test

GING GING
December 15th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Test

GING GING
December 15th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Test

mmahany
December 15th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Thanx, for that. My mechanical knowledge is limited to opening the hood. I thought V10 meant ten valves per cylinder. I don't know even know what a valve or a cylinder is. I've just heard the term. And since my truck is a V10 I just naturally thought that meant ten valves per cylinder. Dan, does this help you to see even better that Farmboy was being rude? But that's okay, you don't have to say anything to these guys for being rude and condescending

Honest mistake as I see your thought process.

The "V" stands for the placement of the cylinders versus an "inline" cylinder engine.

In your truck's case, there are 5 cylinders on each side of the engine set at an angle that forms a "V". That basically allows your (massive) engine to fit under the hood.

If it were an in-line engine, you would have 10 cylinders one after the other. The only way that could be possible is if you were (literally) sitting on top of the engine.

Most four cylinder engines are inline these days. There are also a handful of inline five cylinder engines.

6,8, 10, and 12 cyclinder engines are almost always a "V" configuration. The design allows the engine to be more cubed shape rather than rectangular.

I am, of course, speaking to car/light-truck configurations where space is a concern.

GING GING
December 15th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Test

VertOlive
December 15th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Darn it Ging Ging! You had my hopes up thinking I could maybe drop one of those hot engines in my '86 Fleetwood and perk it up a bit!

lsmith42
December 15th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Thanx, for that. My mechanical knowledge is limited to opening the hood. I thought V10 meant ten valves per cylinder. I don't know even know what a valve or a cylinder is. I've just heard the term. And since my truck is a V10 I just naturally thought that meant ten valves per cylinder. Dan, does this help you to see even better that Farmboy was being rude? But that's okay, you don't have to say anything to these guys for being rude and condescending

There is a reasonable assumption when people buy and discuss performance vehicles (or pens, for that matter) that they know something about the subject of their discussion.

Another way to interpret rude and condescending is that most people (probably including yourself) have a low tolerance for ignorance when it is not combined with humility and questions.

One of the most valuable lessons I ever learned was to not speak of what I do not know. The second was to be humble enough to ask questions. Those that know can smell a poser a mile away.

GING GING
December 15th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Test

lsmith42
December 15th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Wow, you accuse me of compensating for something. You say that I'm supposed to know about the performance vehicles I buy. You say I'm supposed to know about the pens I buy. Oh yeah, and you call me a poser. It's funny because I haven't said anything to you, and yet you're telling me that I need to learn to listen and not speak. You even called me ignorant. You also said I have little tolerance for ignorance. That's not true; I have a great deal of tolerance for ignorance. Thank you for the lesson in humility

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

You're welcome.

We'll see if it works.

You had vowed to be nice, and yet that didn't last long. Try again.

Farmboy
December 15th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Speaking of engines...they don't fit is cars but search WASP Radial for more.

http://youtu.be/p2Ip5CEaLlk
and slightly bigger...

http://youtu.be/DDCxgCyy16w
And then there is the whistle.

http://youtu.be/087sF9pfuSE

lsmith42
December 15th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I learn something new every day...

Jon Szanto
December 15th, 2014, 09:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VsifANR96s

Quantum Sailor
December 15th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Speaking of engines...they don't fit is cars but search WASP Radial for more.

http://youtu.be/p2Ip5CEaLlk
and slightly bigger...

http://youtu.be/DDCxgCyy16w
And then there is the whistle.

http://youtu.be/087sF9pfuSE

The rotary engines of mazda are pretty interesting, high horsepower possible with very low displacement. Strangely when I was looking at buying one the service department told me that in the used Rx7's if the owner drove the engine as hard as they could it wouldn't usually have issues, but if the owner babied it it was likely to have issues. The other issue was that they had a nasty habit of catching fire....

mmahany
December 16th, 2014, 09:48 AM
The rotary engines of mazda are pretty interesting, high horsepower possible with very low displacement. Strangely when I was looking at buying one the service department told me that in the used Rx7's if the owner drove the engine as hard as they could it wouldn't usually have issues, but if the owner babied it it was likely to have issues. The other issue was that they had a nasty habit of catching fire....

There is some truth to that and actually with many cars.

With brand new engines, many advise running it very hard for the first 1000 miles. It allows the piston rings to seat properly.

Oil seals are another issue. My sister's boyfriend has a 2011 Porsche 911 GT3. He can't ever let the car sit for long periods of time because the seals will start to cause oil leaks. The seals need to expand to maintain a tight seal.

My BMW 335i has similar issues. Most of the lightly driven 335i cars have HORRIBLE carbon build up. In fact, BMW recommends that 335i owners perform a walnut blast on their engines every few years. I've seen pictures of some engines with less than 30k miles that look like they had 200k because they were never cleaned and rarely exceeded 3k rpm.

On a side note: let's try to keep the conversation civil. It's rare to have a good car discussion on this forum and I'd hate for it to be ruined.

Quantum Sailor
December 16th, 2014, 10:49 AM
[/QUOTE]

There is some truth to that and actually with many cars.

With brand new engines, many advise running it very hard for the first 1000 miles. It allows the piston rings to seat properly.

Oil seals are another issue. My sister's boyfriend has a 2011 Porsche 911 GT3. He can't ever let the car sit for long periods of time because the seals will start to cause oil leaks. The seals need to expand to maintain a tight seal.

My BMW 335i has similar issues. Most of the lightly driven 335i cars have HORRIBLE carbon build up. In fact, BMW recommends that 335i owners perform a walnut blast on their engines every few years. I've seen pictures of some engines with less than 30k miles that look like they had 200k because they were never cleaned and rarely exceeded 3k rpm.

On a side note: let's try to keep the conversation civil. It's rare to have a good car discussion on this forum and I'd hate for it to be ruined.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that as well but also know that some motorcycle manufacturers are putting in governors that limit rpm during the break in period. My bike didn't have one but they were very specific about don't exceed x rpm for the first 500 miles then another for 1000 miles and finally gave you the freedom to use all the range at 1500 i believe, might be 1200 but it was a while. I believe the BMW HP4 is one that has an electronic governor in it.

I'm not sure what exactly the best way to do it is. I tend to just follow the manufacturers recommendations because then there's not whining about warranty issues if it messes up, well not because i didn't follow the break in.

Cob
December 16th, 2014, 11:00 AM
The important thing about running in is not so much RPM but throttle opening; within limits it's a question of loading rather than revs in other words and of course no "jazzing of the throttle" when the oil is cold.

Cob.

mmahany
December 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM
The important thing about running in is not so much RPM but throttle opening; within limits it's a question of loading rather than revs in other words and of course no "jazzing of the throttle" when the oil is cold.

Cob.

Well, it's a number of issues.

High RPM can break things like valve springs...in the event that leads to a valve dropping you're probably replacing a full motor.

Load is arguably the most important. The fancy word for it is "Volumetric Efficiency." VE is also directly related to gas mileage. The common misconception is that keeping RPM low will help with gas mileage. That simply isn't true.

Predetonation is another important issue. That's why you should never put cheap gas or lower octane gas in your car. That's a great way to save yourself $2 in gas, but pay $5000 for a new motor.

Cold- obviously metal is less pliable when it's cold. You'd be amazed at how many people fail to grasp this concept. I remember a friend of mine bragging to me about his new Porsche. We went outside and he started the car and bounced it off the rev limiters 2 seconds after a cold start....great way to spend $20k on a new motor.

In the end, temperature is the most important variable, at least in my opinion. Heat kills engines and transmissions more than anything else. That culminates IATs, the actual weather outside, oil/fluid temperatures, and the temperature inside the engine.

On a related note: I'd take the manufacturer's recommendations with a grain of salt. Remember that they're giving biased information. They stay in business by avoiding repair costs during the warranty period and making you pay for repair costs after that period ends. They're also giving advice to everyone who drives their car.....that's generally catered to the average moron who only services/maintains their car when there's a light blinking on the dashboard.

VertOlive
December 16th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Wait! I missed something! In all the talk of valves and thingies and moto-whatsits, I thought I heard I couldn't get a supersized 10 valve/cylinder engine to revive my Fleetwood. What do I know?

Never doubted it's your truck. Peace! :angel:

Farmboy
December 17th, 2014, 08:57 PM
http://youtu.be/Ntxxxj69UxA

Quantum Sailor
December 18th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Wait! I missed something! In all the talk of valves and thingies and moto-whatsits, I thought I heard I couldn't get a supersized 10 valve/cylinder engine to revive my Fleetwood. What do I know?

Technically as long as you can fit it and get everything lined up, which may mean tacking your fleetwood body onto a viper frame....., you can put anything you want into anything. Some of the monsters out there are fascinating/horrifying. I saw a monster truck frame with a 70's vette body sitting in the front yard of some shack in Arkansas once. I also saw an old Toyota MR2 fitted up with jet engines for sale on eBay about 8 years ago. They had totally removed the engine and just made a rolling chassis powered by two jet engines...not recommended necessarily but the only limit is physics and the imagination lol

Cob
December 18th, 2014, 04:18 PM

Technically as long as you can fit it and get everything lined up, which may mean tacking your fleetwood body onto a viper frame....., you can put anything you want into anything. Some of the monsters out there are fascinating/horrifying. I saw a monster truck frame with a 70's vette body sitting in the front yard of some shack in Arkansas once. I also saw an old Toyota MR2 fitted up with jet engines for sale on eBay about 8 years ago. They had totally removed the engine and just made a rolling chassis powered by two jet engines...not recommended necessarily but the only limit is physics and the imagination lol

You lot in the USA are lucky; in England it's more or less OK, but in Europe, forget it. France is bad (and Germany too I think) and in Italy you cannot even fit a roll cage - it is as they say, "non omologato" - you can't even change the wheels! I arrived in Italy in the modified Lancia Fulvia pictured at the top of this thread. I had just parked up in Turin when I was dragged off by two lads for an "espresso" - they were red-hot enthusiasts and couldn't believe that I was allowed to drive the car on the road in England.

Poor chaps!

Cob

VertOlive
December 18th, 2014, 06:15 PM

Franken-Caddy!

Seriously--I'd no idea you couldn't do this in Europe. What is the thinking behind that?

lsmith42
December 18th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Is this thing on?

(Tap, tap)

VertOlive
December 18th, 2014, 10:11 PM
What's with the "Test" posts?

mmahany
December 19th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Seriously--I'd no idea you couldn't do this in Europe. What is the thinking behind that?
Ultimately, it boils down to emissions. It’s also becoming a more significant issue here in the US as well.

To make it simple (for them), most governments heavily regulate replacement of OEM parts.

Cob
December 19th, 2014, 02:13 PM

Franken-Caddy!

Western European Disease I call it; they love the "social-democratic model" which in reality means they can push us around and employ an enormous and very expensive bureaucracy that spends its time looking for things to regulate. The same I believe applies in Australia - there they drive on the left as in Japan, South Africa and of course the UK; in Australia one is not allowed to drive a left-hand drive car - even the UK is not that bad.

Constant government nagging - years ago I warned that those smug anti-smoking fanatics who were patting themselves on the back would have the smiles wiped off their faces when their preferences were banned or regulated. Here in England where the government is agonising how old-age pensions are to be paid in the future, they seem to want us to live forever: "how many units [of alcohol] have you consumed today"; "have you had your five a day [fruit and veg]", don't speed, don't think, just watch the TV and obey all our rules. Makes me wild frankly. I read a book recently where it was posited that the Modern State (i.e. the one I am complaining about) where the State involves itself in the minutiae of our lives, began with the French Revolution and whilst I have no intention of retailing the arguments here, I can say that it was a jolly convincing case - and of course blaming Napoleon comes naturally to an Englishman!

Cob

Quantum Sailor
December 19th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Right hand drive cars are illegal in the states, along with a few other nuances, there are ways around it from what I hear but buying a RHD car is out of my price range at the moment. There are car companies that make two U.S. models, one for California and one for the other states. I am a fan of a couple Japanese only production cars that you can do a couple things to make legal in the U.S. but surprisingly the biggest issue aside from RHD is the glass in them from what I understand. The glass for the non U.S. models apparently don't meet the U.S. safety regulations or something.

Cob
December 20th, 2014, 03:24 AM
Right hand drive cars are illegal in the states, along with a few other nuances, there are ways around it from what I hear but buying a RHD car is out of my price range at the moment. There are car companies that make two U.S. models, one for California and one for the other states. I am a fan of a couple Japanese only production cars that you can do a couple things to make legal in the U.S. but surprisingly the biggest issue aside from RHD is the glass in them from what I understand. The glass for the non U.S. models apparently don't meet the U.S. safety regulations or something.

That business with the glass is a classic: this sort of thing is done as a means of "restraint of trade." A good example of this was a Marshall guitar amplifier I had that had been built for the US market; it was fitted with numerous extra fuses- fuses that one would never find e.g. in a US built Fender amplifier. I learned all this whilst having the amplifier serviced at Marshall's; they laughed and cheerfully removed all the additional and unnecessary fuses!

Cob

Farmboy
December 20th, 2014, 09:25 AM

That business with the glass is a classic: this sort of thing is done as a means of "restraint of trade." A good example of this was a Marshall guitar amplifier I had that had been built for the US market; it was fitted with numerous extra fuses- fuses that one would never find e.g. in a US built Fender amplifier. I learned all this whilst having the amplifier serviced at Marshall's; they laughed and cheerfully removed all the additional and unnecessary fuses!

Cob

So you are guilty of short circuiting the import laws...

Cob
December 20th, 2014, 10:13 AM

Cob

So you are guilty of short circuiting the import laws...

Ha ha ha - very good! :bump2:
Cob

Farmboy
December 21st, 2014, 04:44 PM
Test

Test

Test

Test

Test

Test

Test

Test

Darn it Ging Ging! You had my hopes up thinking I could maybe drop one of those hot engines in my '86 Fleetwood and perk it up a bit!
Test

Test

Is this thing on?

(Tap, tap)

Are we still in test mode or are we live?

Cob
December 22nd, 2014, 01:33 AM
Test

Test

Test

Test

Test

Test

Test

Test

Test

Is this thing on?

(Tap, tap)

Are we still in test mode or are we live?

Well I call it life!

This thread started with some photos I posted; how about lots of nice "thanks " for me as an Xmas present?!:)

Cob

GING GING
December 23rd, 2014, 05:21 PM

Don't worry about the test posts. Just enjoy the new pen and ink I sent you.