PDA

View Full Version : My Favourite Hand

caliken
August 2nd, 2014, 06:40 AM
As a personal tribute to the awesome, majestic pianism of Marc-Andre Hamelin, it seemed appropriate to write in the most sublime of all the hands.

Over the past few years, I have gradually become aware of a personal preference in writing styles. I feel that it's time to come off the fence and state, unequivocally, that my favourite hand, both as a writer and as a viewer, is English Roundhand, more commonly known as Copperplate Script.
Although I continue to enjoy writing the other hands; Italic, Foundational, Spencerian, Gothic, Engraver's Script, Uncial etc. I find myself most often returning to Copperplate for the sheer pleasure of writing it. For me, no other hand has that combination of grace and beauty, evenly described with the sensation of the controlled, flexible nib, ending up on paper, the epitome of human endeavour with a pen.

Anyway, that's my subjective opinion. I would be very interested to hear the choice of others, especially if they are prepared to express the reason(s) for their choice. Please join in!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Marc-AndreHamelin601updated-2.jpg

dr.lowbrow
August 3rd, 2014, 08:41 PM
Good pianist, too!

tiffanyhenschel
August 3rd, 2014, 08:58 PM
English Roundhand/ Copperplate is an elegant and beautiful script. It takes incredible patience and practice to write it well. For me, it is a close second place to Spencerian. I think what I prefer about Spencerian is the delicacy of the lines and the patterns of nature that you see in it when you have studied it for a while.

Either of these hands can take a lifetime to truly master, but for me it is worth the effort.

caliken
August 4th, 2014, 06:21 AM
English Roundhand/ Copperplate is an elegant and beautiful script. It takes incredible patience and practice to write it well. For me, it is a close second place to Spencerian. I think what I prefer about Spencerian is the delicacy of the lines and the patterns of nature that you see in it when you have studied it for a while.

Either of these hands can take a lifetime to truly master, but for me it is worth the effort.

I can appreciate and respect your preference. Thanks for posting.