PDA

View Full Version : BHR 935 Silver Overlay Button Filler (No Name)

Jeph
August 2nd, 2014, 06:22 PM
So I bought this pen as an uninteresting, dirty aluminum overlay pen to steal the 14K nib from. I actually thought that it was a post war C/C pen of some type. When it arrived, the first thing that I noticed was that it was hard rubber on the ends instead of a modern plastic. Then I saw the “935” stamp on the upper overlay ring on the cap and realized that this some something entirely different. I quick test with a Sunshine Polishing cloth confirmed that the overlay was silver. I used up an entire cloth getting the tarnish off of this pen but it was worth it. The only marking on the pen other than the “935” is what looks to be a capital “M” at the edge of the overlay near the button end of the barrel. It looks like it was done by an 8 year old with a sharp stick, but it is there. I could find no other traces of anything else at 10X with bright light at different angles. I let the pressure bar soak for 2 weeks in penetrating oil and was able to remove most of the rot and then sanded off the rough spots that were left. I did not attempt to remove the button housing as I was able to remove the button without doing so. The innards were pretty filthy but I took care of that with some alcohol since everything other than the nib and overlay is hard rubber. The feed is a simple (and more importantly generic) “W” channel hard rubber feed and is otherwise uninteresting. So a little (okay, a LOT) of elbow grease and a #17 sac and this pen is back in business. Every now and then I get a pleasant surprise instead of the more common, “oh, ick!” after I open a newly arrived box.

BEFORE
AFTER
In Between

scrivelry
August 2nd, 2014, 07:10 PM
OOOH, nice!