PDA

View Full Version : Writing an nib advice

Bling72
August 3rd, 2014, 03:28 AM
Hello. I recently purchased a new Mont Blanc Meisterstuck LeGrand Fountain Pen 90th with a Broad nib.

It gives me reasonable flexibility I can write somewhat thick, but only very thin if I severely change the
angle of the way I hold the pen.

Now I have the option of changing the nib from Broad to Double Broad or Oblique-Broad.

I did have a chance to test all the nibs before I did the purchase, for some reason the double-broad was
a little too thick.

I do have a Lamy 1.9 which did give me the variation that I need.

Should I change my nib to double broad (it's still for free as it is within the 6 week period).

Or must I practice more with my writing and that I should still be able to use that pen like a full
Calligraphy pen and get the thick writing when I want, and the thin writing when I develop enough
skill?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tsuki yo
August 3rd, 2014, 07:51 AM
It seems like the problem you're having is that you want a stub nib instead of a round. The Lamy 1.9 is a stub, which is an untipped nib that is cut straight across so that your downstrokes are fat and your side strokes are thin. A BB nib is a tapered, round nib tipped in Iridium, which will give you the same width of line no matter which way you write. If line variation is what you want, go for the Oblique.

These are some profile views of the four nib types you'll hear people talk about.

*Edit, you can see that the stubs hard edge will give, crisp, clean lines, and the round will give soft round lines. Round nibs only offer line variation if they are "springy" or "flexy", as I understand it the MB nibs are quite springy, but not full flex. And the line variation is achieved through pressure, instead of the direction which you write, like a stub.

Bling72
August 3rd, 2014, 08:04 AM
wow thank you so much for the explaination. that will save a lot of time and effort to be exposed to this kind of invaluable information.

tandaina
August 3rd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Remember you can always get the nib ground to a stub or italic. So if the B is good thickness but you want line variation send it to a good nib meister and explain what you want. Problem solved. An OB nib will not give you line variation. Oblique is for folks like me who rotate our pens and need the oblique cut to still have the writing surface of the nib in correct contact with the paper.

The MB OB will still be round like in the diagram above but you can get an oblique stub if you like the oblique angle. The options are endless. ;)

Bling72
August 4th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Thanks Tandaina. I went to do further testing and I have organised the nib to be changed to oblique broad.
I found that by the manner I do my strokes with the pen on paper and that I do not vary the pressure I put on the paper, I certainly get more variety with that, than the originally put broad.

I should be good with that nib :)