PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Taccia Brand

VertOlive
August 3rd, 2014, 08:53 PM
While perusing Goldspot, I was taken by the Tacchia Celestial Pearl, but know nothing about them except that they don't seem to offer a stub nib.

Does anyone have experience with these pens?

Thanks ahead of time.

writingrav
August 4th, 2014, 04:33 AM
While perusing Goldspot, I was taken by the Tacchia Celestial Pearl, but know nothing about them except that they don't seem to offer a stub nib.

Does anyone have experience with these pens?

Thanks ahead of time.
I have one Taccia the model name of which I've forgotten. My son has the one made of African horn. The are very reliable pens. Solid you might say but generally somewhat ordinary. The particular pen I have ended up being a bit too big for me and I don't use it much.

Nomdeplume
August 4th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Taccia's are not Italian, are they? I thought they were Thai.
The ones I have seen were brass-based and were heavy.

Lady Onogaro
August 4th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I think Hector bought the horn one at a pen show. You might ask him how he likes it.

tandaina
August 4th, 2014, 05:04 PM
I've seen them twice at pen shows now and... I just don't like them. The ones I tried felt very unbalanced in the hand (unpleasantly so), the nibs were very "meh" and while pretty the finish on most of them was rather course and lacking in person. The horn pen was the only one I rather liked, though I was still not a fan of the nib. I don't own one because I've held them and didn't like them.

However I think it is Hector here who has one of the horn pens with an antique dip nib fitted to it and it looks lovely, but that's not a stock nib so it hardly counts in my book. ;)

Tony Rex
August 5th, 2014, 12:01 AM

No, they are made in ROC, or Taiwan with German nibs.

SteveE
August 6th, 2014, 09:44 AM
They have been around for some years. I've seen them at the Chicago show for at least 5 or 6 years. IIRC, their US spokesperson was/is Li Tah Wong. I think many of their pens (at least the resin ones I have) were made in Taiwan.

The pens I have are well-finished and balance well in the hand. I have the Staccato, the Merit and the Royal Portuguese. The pens use German steel nibs. Some of the earliest pens had the then-typical plastic feeds that starved the nibs, but they changed the feed they used and supplied updated parts to users.

The Taccia pens I have are modestly priced, good user pens. I would recommend them at least for a look, if not purchase. I would score them on par with modern Conklin pens, etc.

Usual disclaimers apply - I have no connection with Taccia Pens or any of their distributors or retailers. Just a user.

dr.grace
August 6th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I have a Taccia Staccato, and it's nicely balanced, but only if you don't post it. The nib is bad, however, and the feed easily becomes clogged. I will probably replace the nib/feed unit some day.

TMac
August 6th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I currently have 3 Taccias. I think they are very attractive pens and make good daily users. I think they are similar to modern Conklins as SteveE mentioned or Monteverdes.

VertOlive
August 6th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Well, okay then. The orange and mother-of-pearl one is really attractive, but they're much more expensive than my Monteverde Prima. That puts it much further down on the list for now thanks to the input of all you smart Geeks.

Thanks for the help!

AtomicLeo
August 9th, 2014, 09:06 AM
I own a Taccia Alto and Momento. When I bought these (4 years ago, I think) I thought the Taccia pens had some of the best steel nibs and the designs were stunning for pens <$100. However, both the Alto and Momento had non-standard converters. I don't know where they got them, but I needed to replace the Alto converter and couldn't find any converter on the market that would do. The Momento converter was garbage from the moment I bought the pen. It did not set in the feed properly. It would leak. I couldn't fill the pen because the converter would just spin while I twisted the plunger. The K5 Schmidt converter fit the feed but was too long. I tried for months to get a new converter from Taccia and they wouldn't respond. I will never purchase Taccia pen after experience.

penstaking
August 10th, 2014, 02:12 AM
Taccia is not an Italian brand. This thread should be removed from the Italian pens forum.

DrRoger
August 10th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I have a Taccia Staccato and one of the horn pens that both write superbly. I may be wrong but Mr Binder's name was mentioned as being involved with the special edition Staccato I have - if I am wrong apologies. R

betsypreston
August 10th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I own a Taccia Alto and Momento. When I bought these (4 years ago, I think) I thought the Taccia pens had some of the best steel nibs and the designs were stunning for pens <$100. However, both the Alto and Momento had non-standard converters. I don't know where they got them, but I needed to replace the Alto converter and couldn't find any converter on the market that would do. The Momento converter was garbage from the moment I bought the pen. It did not set in the feed properly. It would leak. I couldn't fill the pen because the converter would just spin while I twisted the plunger. The K5 Schmidt converter fit the feed but was too long. I tried for months to get a new converter from Taccia and they wouldn't respond. I will never purchase Taccia pen after experience.

I have a problem-child Sheaffer. I love the pen, but every converter I try in it has problems just like yours. I got around it by using only cartridges in that pen. Since I poked the hole in the cart with this pen, it's a custom fit if you think about it. Problem solved!

betsypreston
August 10th, 2014, 02:35 PM
My only Taccia is a Timeless Gun Metal. First thing I tried out of the box was the clip, which popped right off. It's irritating. Maybe if I had the right tools or patience, I could snap it back in. But I don't know enough to be confident that it would stay and not wobble or fall right back off again.

I decided that the pen looked good (more like "good enough") without the clip, and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of a return/complaint to the catalog seller so I just kept it. Doesn't make me excited about trying another Taccia, tho.

writingrav
August 10th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I spent quite some time with the Taccia display at the DC show today and the woman who started the company. She explained that a few years ago they sold themselves to a large Japanese firm ( can't remember the name. Kyoto?) And they now have much more resource for materials and designs. I thought their new pens looked terrific. I had other priorities, but they were on my list for awhile.

Mags
August 12th, 2014, 04:59 AM
She is convincing. She sold me my sole Taccia in Toronto @ the Airport Fountain Pen Show.

It now boasts an Edison nib and is reasonably well used in my collection of daily use pens

AltecGreen
August 12th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I spent quite some time with the Taccia display at the DC show today and the woman who started the company. She explained that a few years ago they sold themselves to a large Japanese firm ( can't remember the name. Kyoto?) And they now have much more resource for materials and designs. I thought their new pens looked terrific. I had other priorities, but they were on my list for awhile.

The founder is Shuchen Liu. Taccia is now owned by Itoya who is also the US Sailor distributor. If you are in Tokyo, go the Itoya's Ginza store. In terms of modern pens, it is hard to beat the selection at that store.

The pens have gotten better over the years and are definitely worth a look.

Giovanni Abrate
May 29th, 2015, 11:05 AM

They are made in Taiwan. They are related, in an oblique way, to Laban.

KBeezie
June 5th, 2015, 02:08 AM
I don't think it's Taiwan, I thought Taccia was under the Itoya Brand which is an American branch of a Japanese company?

Giovanni Abrate
June 5th, 2015, 05:10 AM
I don't think it's Taiwan, I thought Taccia was under the Itoya Brand which is an American branch of a Japanese company?

Karl, it's Taiwan. Their distributor may be from somewhere else, but they are made in Taiwan.

KBeezie
June 5th, 2015, 05:13 AM

Karl, it's Taiwan. Their distributor may be from somewhere else, but they are made in Taiwan.

Just made? Or owned by a Taiwanese company? The difference being, Nemosine may be american but their pens are made in Taiwan. (And I'm guessing there are some Sheaffer/Cross/etc pens Made in China now, but not Chinese owned).

Just wanting clarification.