PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Elabo experiences?

7188photo
August 6th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Hey there.
Was on one of my routine visits to the Nagasawa shop in Kobe to check out vintage pens last weekend and when I had a closer look at the Pilot lineup I realized that there's one pen I hadn't been aware of nor had heard about before, which is the Pilot Elabo pen.

Took a Pilot brochure home, here's a photo of the Elabo page:

http://holgerferoudjphotography.com/data/pilotelabo.JPG

It says that you can change line variation with a "light touch" which allows you to write Japanese characters beautifully.
I wasn't aware that there was another "flexy" nib apart from the Falcon one (and how flexy that one is seems to be quite arguable).

Sounds like an interesting nib to me, but there was no pen to try out in the shop so I wonder how it actually writes :)
Does anyone have experiences with it?

AltecGreen
August 6th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Hey there.
Was on one of my routine visits to the Nagasawa shop in Kobe to check out vintage pens last weekend and when I had a closer look at the Pilot lineup I realized that there's one pen I hadn't been aware of nor had heard about before, which is the Pilot Elabo pen.

Took a Pilot brochure home, here's a photo of the Elabo page:

The Elabo is the Japanese name for the Falcon.

7188photo
August 6th, 2014, 10:35 PM

Oops, haha... Well that explains why there's not so much information on it.

Still, I thought the FA nib is the Falcon nib, however, the Elabo one doesn't have the same half-round cut-outs on the sides like the FA nib? Or am I mixing something up, again?

AltecGreen
August 6th, 2014, 10:52 PM

Oops, haha... Well that explains why there's not so much information on it.

Still, I thought the FA nib is the Falcon nib, however, the Elabo one doesn't have the same half-round cut-outs on the sides like the FA nib? Or am I mixing something up, again?

The FA is is not the Falcon nib. They are different.

KBeezie
August 7th, 2014, 02:39 AM
The FA nib doesn't give nearly as much "flex" or line variations as the Falcon does if you were curious. The Falcon will bit a bit softer and wetter than say a custom with an FA nib.

7188photo
August 7th, 2014, 03:12 AM
Ah! Thank you guys so much, this clears up a lot of misunderstandings.
Falcon sounds way cooler than Elabo, though... ;)

Tony Rex
August 7th, 2014, 03:52 AM
The FA nib doesn't give nearly as much "flex" or line variations as the Falcon does if you were curious. The Falcon will bit a bit softer and wetter than say a custom with an FA nib.

That is incorrect. The FA nibs are flexier than even modified Falcon/erabo let alone a stock one. The falcon was meant to emulate brush softness than gymnastics. Sorry for resurrecting the dead horse/bird topic, just to avoid confusion. Cheers.

KBeezie
August 7th, 2014, 07:44 AM

That is incorrect. The FA nibs are flexier than even modified Falcon/erabo let alone a stock one. The falcon was meant to emulate brush softness than gymnastics. Sorry for resurrecting the dead horse/bird topic, just to avoid confusion. Cheers.

Did a little searching and was the soft nibs on the 742 and such Iwas tthinking of.

7188photo
August 7th, 2014, 09:56 AM

Thanks for clarifying this.
It is quite a bit confusing, though, because I just checked again and the FA nib carries the name "Falcon" in Japanese (フォルカン), but what is called "Falcon" in English, is - as you pointed out - called Elabo in Japanese, and on top of that has the other nib.
Really want to give the FA a test run! Maybe after my Osmia arrived, though :P

Ronnie Aloha
August 8th, 2014, 04:37 PM
I think the Elabo model is the metal Namiki Falcon in the US. Thus the nub range should be the same as the resin Falcon.

gerigo
August 10th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Actually I disagree. My FA nibs are my most flexible nibs giving great line variation, much more than the Falcon or Elabo as it were.

7188photo
August 11th, 2014, 02:48 AM
Actually I disagree. My FA nibs are my most flexible nibs giving great line variation, much more than the Falcon or Elabo as it were.

That makes me even more curious - really have to test one of these FA nibs!!

gylo
August 11th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I thought that this was another Falcon, I understood that the two types had the same nib but one had a resin body and the other metal!

I'm looking for one myself!

7188photo
August 12th, 2014, 02:29 AM
I thought that this was another Falcon, I understood that the two types had the same nib but one had a resin body and the other metal!

I'm looking for one myself!

Yeah Nick I was wondering which of the Japanese models is the Metal Falcon, then, since the Elabo looks like it's the resin Falcon...