PDA

View Full Version : Fraternal Twin to old formula BSiAR?

migo984
August 7th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Someone asked the question how the new Diamine Tyrian Purple compared to Herbin Poussiere de Lune? So I quickly swabbed the 2 inks plus others in that colour range that I thought might be close cousins.

The attached is a photo taken with my iPad so it hasn't been calibrated and the colours look slightly pinker than in real life, but as you can see Tyrian Purple is a very close match to the old formula Black Swan in Australian Roses. It is very very slightly less saturated but TP does have nice shading properties and I think it's a most acceptable substitute.

The swabs are on a no-name lined fountain pen-friendly notebook.

Hope this helps someone when choosing a new dusky purple.

rdcalhoon
August 7th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Looks like Tyrian is a bit on the red side of the old BSiAR, compared with the new BSiAR being on the purple side. I'm not one to mix inks, but I wonder how close a mix of Tyrian and the new BSiAR would come to the old BSiAR (leaving aside for now all the usual ink-mixing warnings).

writingrav
August 7th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Someone asked the question how the new Diamine Tyrian Purple compared to Herbin Poussiere de Lune? So I quickly swabbed the 2 inks plus others in that colour range that I thought might be close cousins.

The attached is a photo taken with my iPad so it hasn't been calibrated and the colours look slightly pinker than in real life, but as you can see Tyrian Purple is a very close match to the old formula Black Swan in Australian Roses. It is very very slightly less saturated but TP does have nice shading properties and I think it's a most acceptable substitute.

The swabs are on a no-name lined fountain pen-friendly notebook.

Hope this helps someone when choosing a new dusky purple.
It appears to me that the Diamine Handel might be the better substitute, but there is a lot of subjectivity involved.