PDA

View Full Version : My First Attempt At A Custom Grind

nigh means near
August 8th, 2014, 12:18 AM
I recently started drawing a comic book and have found that even my extra fine nibs are a bit too broad to cross-hatch effectively at the size I need to draw individual panels. To remedy this I decided to have a go at grinding a needle-point on to one of my Ahabs. I wanted something that was crow-quill fine but without all the scritchy scratch. It also needed to be flexible enough to give me a thick line if I need one for an effect or whatever. This is the result.

I was really happy with the result, but I'd be curious to hear any pointers that more experienced nib grinder's might have. I tried to emulate techniques I noticed in the excellent Masters of the Fountain Pen Youtube series, but i didn't have too much to go on.

Thanks for reading.

Art
August 10th, 2014, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry that I don't have any advice to offer.

It looks like you did a magnificent job on your first attempt. My understanding is that needlepoints are hard to get right. I have tried to do a couple, but mine were too scratchy.

What tools did you use?

nigh means near
August 10th, 2014, 10:37 PM
A dremel rotary tool equipped with the finest tooth grinding wheel I had available and the micromesh pad set that I got from Anderson Pens.

Art
August 11th, 2014, 07:05 PM
I use the same tools plus some mylar abrasive film. I find it hard to know when to quit. The nib starts feeling really good but I try to make it just a bit better and go too far. At least each attempt gets better.

Good luck with with any future nib work!

nigh means near
August 13th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Once I get to that point I start working a single pass at a time and checking it constantly. I've had some success with that approach.

holgalee
August 25th, 2014, 07:04 AM
It looks really good! Does the nib still have tipping? If so, can you share your technique? I only have micromesh, not dremel. TIA.

johnus
August 25th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Just as note.. Be careful when you're using a Dremel. It can easily "grab" the pen and change it very quickly into a missile!!