PDA

View Full Version : Are All Fountain Pen Nibs Scratchy?

TMH478
August 8th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Hello everyone! I am obviously a newbie to fountain pens. I am curious as to how a fountain pen nib should feel. For the most part, I am not writing on the highest quality papers; basically note pads and printer paper. Is there such thing as a non that feels smooth on most, if not all forms of paper? I have tried a Cross Century II, Pilot Metropolitan, and a Waterman Expert all in medium. I have also tried a Waterman Carene. All of these felt scratchy to me in some degree. At least I compare it to, dare I say it, my Montblanc Starwalker Cool Blue ballpoint with a broad refill. That thing is SUPER smooth, but the ink isn't obviously as intense. Thank you all in advance for taking the time to reply!

jar
August 8th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Yes, of course they are super smooth nibs, but your issue may not be related to the nib or pen and just a matter of inexperience and knowing how to write with a fountain pen. My initail suggestion is to get an experienced FP user to watch you write and see if they can improve your technique.

Wile E Coyote
August 8th, 2014, 04:49 PM
You may be pressing too hard. A fountain pen can write under it's own pressure.

I think Pilot nibs are sometimes too smooth, so I'm surprised you find the Metropolitan scratchy. I also have a Carene, while the nib is hard as a nail it is smooth writing. Or you could be very unlucky and have gotten a bunch of misaligned nibs.

You can also try to get some Rhodia or Clairefontaine and see if it is the paper you're using but it's unlikely that's the problem.

Find yourself a local group (if available) and do as jar suggests.

TMH478
August 8th, 2014, 04:49 PM
LOL! I don't know any. I suppose it is time to see what videos are out there. Figured I would just write like I do with any other pen but with less pressure. Thank you for your response!

TMH478
August 8th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Thank you, Wiley! I barely put pressure on the pen. That's why I am confused. All of the pens seem scratchy, a couple more than others. The Carene probably feels the smoothest. I would love to try the paper idea, however, I won't be writing on that kind of paper a majority of the time.

Wile E Coyote
August 8th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Thank you, Wiley! I barely put pressure on the pen. That's why I am confused. All of the pens seem scratchy, a couple more than others. The Carene probably feels the smoothest. I would love to try the paper idea, however, I won't be writing on that kind of paper a majority of the time.

Even if you won't be using those papers regularly, it may help determine what the problem is. I could understand the scratchiness if you were using a Sailor Saibi Togi on a paper bag but a medium on even cheap office paper usually doesn't feel that bad.

Where are you located? There are friendly helpful FP geeks everywhere.

dr.grace
August 8th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Maybe you have the habit of rotating the pen around the axis as you write? If that's the case, the nib would often not be aligned well with the paper, and the sensation would sometimes be rough ("toothy").

TMH478
August 8th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Perhaps the word scratchy can be known as feedback? LOL! You can clearly hear it when writing. :-)

johnus
August 8th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Or... Toothy nib(;-)

erpe
August 8th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Well, video's are actually quite easy to find. Search for "writing with a fountain pen" in YouTube or for technical details about construction, filling, nibs etc. have a look at http://www.gouletpens.com/Fountain_Pen_101_s/1135.htm and finaly subscrive to the "sbre brown" channel, also on YouTube.

'write on' so to speak

TMH478
August 8th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I have seen a few of his videos! He cracks me up! Very informative. Thank you!

ac12
August 8th, 2014, 11:07 PM
I also have an issue with scratchiness.

There are 4 variables that affect how your pens feels.
These are: the pen/nib, the ink, the paper, you the writer.
Change any one variable, and your pen writing can go from smooth to scratchy or scratchy to smooth.

I have paper that feels so scratchy with my F nib pens that I cannot stand to write on it with a F nib pen. I have to use a M nib or larger pen. And even with the M nib pens I can feel it. I get rid of these papers.

If the pen is writing dry, then the pen will feel scratchy. This is an interaction of the pens characteristics and the ink's flow characteristics. A dry ink in a dry pen will be scratchy. Better is wet ink in dry pen, or dry ink in wet pen. On the other end is wet ink in wet pen, and you may get too much ink on the paper.

If you the writer do not keep the pen on the sweet spot of the tip, you could be writing with the less smooth edge of the tip.
You have to learn to find the sweet spot and not to rotate the pen off the sweet spot.

TMH478
August 9th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Another wonderful suggestion! Thank you AC! . What do you consider a common wet ink?

jar
August 9th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Another wonderful suggestion! Thank you AC! . What do you consider a common wet ink?

Waterman blue is my go to wet ink.

TMH478
August 9th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Cool. I have that! I'll try it! Thank you!

Lady Onogaro
August 9th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Some of my pen nibs feel scratchy on certain papers. I have found that I have very little feedback on Rhodia paper or even HP Premium Laserjet 32 lb. paper (that may be the smoothest paper to write on). But I do have a couple of really scratchy nibs, usually Extra Fine point nibs like those on the Pilot Penmanship. I did a bit of tuning on mine because it was so annoying.

discopig
August 9th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Most pens I bought, both vintage and modern, have been very smooth. However, there were a few that weren't, but it was nothing a bit of micromesh couldn't get under control.

TMH478
August 9th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you all for the valuable feedback.