PDA

View Full Version : Filling A Studio Cart/Converter

mattjs
April 5th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Okay. so here's my burning question about my lovely Lamy Studio (Black). The filling port, that sucks in all of that delicious ink, is it the tiny box at the bottom of the nib, near where the barrel terminates and the nib connects?

If so, is there any clean way of filling the pen? Or am I resigned to having it take a swim in my inks and cleaning it off after I fill?

In the meantime I shall pine after various inks and the Platinum Studio. Oh so pretty!

dannzeman
April 5th, 2010, 08:48 PM
You pretty much have to submerge the entire nib in the ink when filling to make sure you get a full fill. Or, you could remove the coverter, fill that, and then reinsert it back into the pen.

eriquito
April 5th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Or, you could remove the coverter, fill that, and then reinsert it back into the pen.

Do you mean that you can just stick the converter end into the ink and crank the knob to fill the converter? I've never tried that.

I fill converters with a syringe. But them I'm left with having to clean the syringe (not a difficult task).

Perhaps I'll try your way in the future.

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Okami
April 6th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I have removed the converter and stuck it into the ink bottle to fill. Can be a little messy but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eriquito
April 6th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Can be a little messy but it works.

Duly noted. I'm sticking to my easy-cleanup syringe method =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

dannzeman
April 6th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I have removed the converter and stuck it into the ink bottle to fill. Can be a little messy but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It can be, but no more messy than dunking the entire nib in a bottle of ink. i think it's much easier to clean the tip of a converter than a nib.

Sent from my DAMAGEDHERO200 using Tapatalk

mattjs
April 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I'll have to try this converter fill trick next time I fill my Studio. Thanks!

Ernst Bitterman
April 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Dismounting the converter to fill it is something I only do to chase the last bit of ink in the bottom of a bottle-- as long as there's enough depth to submerge the intake, I'd leave the converter in the section and keep my fingers well clear of the mouth of the bottle.

The noble 2000, being a self-filler, is constrained to the old-school dunking, but one notes that the ink-handling stuff is all well forward on the pen....