PDA

View Full Version : Nib Creep

manoeuver
June 22nd, 2012, 06:24 AM
sounds dreadful. amazing we espouse a field that includes and even tolerates such a beast. sounds like it would necessitate minor outpatient surgery or at least some hardy antibiotics. nib creep.....shiver

snedwos
June 22nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
The Zerg are invading our fountain pens.

JustDaveyB
June 22nd, 2012, 06:38 AM
Doesn't worry me - Most of my Noodler's bulletproof inks creep.

KrazyIvan
June 22nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Since I think this happens due to capillary action, does that mean there are micro fissures along the nib slit that draw the ink out with some inks more than others or is it purely a function of the ink?

JustDaveyB
June 22nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Bit of both I think.

Bogon07
June 22nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Is it more pronounced when the moon is full or the tide is high ?

ianmedium
June 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
It is one of the main reasons I don't use noodlers inks, that and I am afraid they will bugger my pen up!

JustDaveyB
June 22nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
It is one of the main reasons I don't use noodlers inks, that and I am afraid they will bugger my pen up!

I can understand your point of view given the value of your listed pens. With my more expensive Pelikans I tend to follow this rule :- I will only use inks in them made by companies that in turn also sell expensive pens, the one exception to this is that I will use some of the Diamine inks (most the blues and blacks). Some far so good for me...

ink mixer
June 22nd, 2012, 05:32 PM
Diamine Orange was the first example I saw of the creep. It was unsettling, but it didn't seem to cause any problems.

ianmedium
June 22nd, 2012, 05:45 PM
I am the same as you on this. I have either Mont Blanc ink as A. I like it and it behaves well I find and B. in the years I have used it I have never had any maintenance issues with pens in using it. I too like Diamine and find it very well behaved. Likewise I have now ventured out into using Aurora black and felt safe in doing so as they also make pens.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Noodlers hater its just that my personal experience has not been great though it does seem to have quite a few folks using it with no problems. Shame as I love some of the colours they offer!

KrazyIvan
June 22nd, 2012, 06:02 PM
I sort of follow that rule too and is why I bought some Waterman inks. I do use Noodler's ink but only stay away from the Baystate series just because I don't want my pens in ICU every time I use an ink. Private Reserve is supposed to be high maintenance but I have not had problems with any of the inks I have used.

Lt. Tom
June 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Hmm. I think that's going to be my superhero name. I AM the Nib Creep!

Or not........

dgator
June 23rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Definition of Nib Creep - the guy at work who borrows your fountain pen assuming it works like a ballpoint, thus bending the nib beyond repair. =)

Seriously, I've experienced nib creep using Noodler's black and Pilot black.

rbiemer
June 23rd, 2012, 06:27 PM
I had to go look up a definition of this and that has left me with more questions instead of fewer.
The major question, for me, now is: is this a problem or a cosmetic issue?
I just got 16 sample vials from Goulet and wonder if I should be watching out for this as I work my way through 'em to choose a new blue ink?
Rob

dgator
June 23rd, 2012, 07:16 PM
Here is a link to the definition of nib creep on Richard Binder's website:

http://www.richardspens.com/?gloss=nib_creep

JustDaveyB
June 23rd, 2012, 07:55 PM
I had to go look up a definition of this and that has left me with more questions instead of fewer.
The major question, for me, now is: is this a problem or a cosmetic issue?
I just got 16 sample vials from Goulet and wonder if I should be watching out for this as I work my way through 'em to choose a new blue ink?
Rob

Cosmetic issue