PDA

View Full Version : Orientation of the lever to the nib

DrChumley
August 10th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Here's what I hope is a fairly simple question, but one that I couldn't find an answer to...

I recently purchased a Esterbrook J for a reasonable price, but the ink sac inside was twisted into double helix-lookin' thing. (I'm not entirely sure how such a thing would even happen!).

In any case I got everything disassembled, cleaned, the new sac installed, and I'm just about to put the section back into the barrel. However, now I'm wondering: is there a "right" method to align the lever with the nib? Is it generally supposed to line up with the top of the nib? I've only got three other pens with lever fillers. One is lined up with the nib (so you can see it when you're writing), one is to the left of the top of the nib, and the other is to the right. I know it doesn't necessarily affect the performance, but is there a best practice?

KrazyIvan
August 10th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Personally, I like the lever lined up to the nib purely for aesthetics but I have seen the practical benefit of having the lever offset to the nib by 90 degrees for filling purposes. It is a personal choice and do it whatever way seems right to you.

Chi Town
August 11th, 2014, 01:29 AM
I personally like to see the two of them lined up nice and even, to me that looks nice and Professional. At least when I do a repair that is how I line them up :-)

Jeph
August 11th, 2014, 01:42 AM
I always align the lever with the nib when possible. I think that it looks better like that, and also gives it the most clearance away from your hand when writing.
When it is not possible due to the way that the threads are cut I don't worry about it.

RuiFromUK
August 11th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Just like everyone above whenever possible I also align the nib to the lever and, if applicable, to any markings on the section.

D Armstrong
August 11th, 2014, 05:38 AM
The twistiness of the sac likely comes from the last person not using talc before reassembly. The rubber is easily tacky enough to grab inside and twist when putting the section back in. It definitely cuts down on your ink capacity! And you would be surprised how often it happens.

As far as lever alignment, when in doubt, go for authenticity. Original Esterbrook ads (http://www.restorersart.com/esterbrook-nibs-advertisment/) plainly show the lever and nib aligned. While I realize; that this is what most people have said already, it's not always the case, depending on manufacturer. It never hurts to try to track down some original literature and make your pen authentic.

jar
August 11th, 2014, 07:21 AM
As long as the lever is not aligned with the clip all should be fine. On new lever fill pens I've purchased over the years some lined up with the nib while others did not.

DanDeM
August 11th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Another reason for the sac being twisted. When reassembling the newly saced section
someone screwed it into the barrel. For most lever fill pens the section must be slid,
not twisted into place.

Flounder
August 11th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I don't like to feel the lever in the web of my hand, so prefer the lever in line with the nib.