PDA

View Full Version : Bag folks....

tandaina
August 10th, 2014, 09:34 PM
OK. I think I need a bag.

I just got back from a trip where I needed to carry (airline), a laptop, phone, kindle, notebook, pens, and various bits and bobs that go along with all those things. Snacks for the flight, etc. I realized that I don't have a bag in the house that will hold my Macbook Pro (15"). I have an old bag that fits my old 13" Macbook, but not the new computer. So I had to take my daily bag (for pens, kindle, notebook, wallet, snacks, etc) which was too small, *and* my laptop in a separate handled sleeve. Pain in the patoot.

I need a bag that will hold:
15" Macbook Pro
Galaxy tablet
Kindle
Cords for above
Medication
Hobonichi wallet/notebook
Three pen leather pouch (or more)
Washi tape
Snacks
Sunglasses
(and all the random bits, like some headache medicine, keys, travel kleenex, etc)

And this is important: It needs organizing pockets that zip!!!! I'm not even kidding. I have so many bags where it is either a bottomless pit where I can't find anything, or the pockets don't zip shut and stuff goes everywhere when the bag gets tipped over. Main compartment may zip or use a flap as long as flap closes securely.

Key: I'm a 5'2" woman who weighs 130lbs soaking wet. And I don't want a bag I can't use for work, or around town when I need to schlep more stuff. (Nothing on wheels or that silliness.) I'm not a fan of backpacks, I just can't take them seriously as a professional bag and I would like this to be that too. And it needs to be < $200.

I'm thinking about this: Commuter 2.1 (http://www.rickshawbags.com/customize/custom-bag/fabric_selection/commuter-20#!tweed-orchid/cordura-bordeaux/label-steel). Anyone used one? Have any opinions? Anyone have a favorite bag they want to recommend?

Oblique and Inky
August 10th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Have you had a look at Tom Bihn's (http://www.tombihn.com/SFNT.html) site?

You might want to give backpacks another chance. Your back will thank you.

Lady Onogaro
August 10th, 2014, 11:24 PM
ebags has a couple of bags that might work for you. There's the Kayla Town Square (I use this for school; you should be able to use it with a laptop sleeve inside to protect your computer):

Tote: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/kalya-town-square/57682?productid=10019411

And there's also a rolling bag called the Soho:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/soho-leather-mobile-office/204791?productid=10110408

Or this messenger bag might work:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tribeca-colombian-leather-laptop-messenger/204790?productid=10110407

They also have an "eTech" line that has wheeled versions and backpack versions. All of these fit a 15" Macbook Pro:

http://www.ebags.com/search/b/ebags/bc/etech-20/dc/15-inch-macbook-pro?origin=left_nav

I have several bags of different sizes in this line and in the baggallini line. I have found them to be well made, light-weight, and very practical for travel.

Their rolling tote might work for you:

http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/rolling-tote-bagg-17-crinkle-nylon/72971?productid=10266093&rlid=DETAIL

Hope this helps.

tandaina
August 11th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Yeah rolling bags don't generally fit under the seat. Haven't traveled with something that has to go overhead in nearly a decade, just makes flying so much less stressful. Rather wish Airlines would require anything that doesn't go under the seat be checked. :p

MY63
August 11th, 2014, 09:39 AM
I always admired Crumpler camera bags they do multi pocket bags I am not sure that there are enough zips for your needs.

http://www.crumpler.eu/index.cfm?seite=laptop-sling-bags&Dinky-Di-Laptop-Messenger-L&productID=9007&sprache=EN

I think there is a gap in the market for a bag with an interior space that can be reorganised maybe with Velcro or even different interior components that can be chosen to suite different needs.

tandaina
August 11th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Yeah, and a *ton* of bags now will fit a 13" Macbook pro, *or* a 15" air, but *not* my 15" Pro. Finding that out, a bunch of those suggested so far won't fit my laptop.

There are definitely huge gaps, especially for women's bags. :\ I like Crumpler, but they really do the traditional messenger bag, lots of BIG pockets, but not nice secure zippered pockets good for organizing stuff.

alc3261
August 11th, 2014, 10:27 AM
The Magellan OnBoard bags do go under the seat?

Nomdeplume
August 11th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Check TravelSmith?

Sinister Scribbler
August 11th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Oblique and Inky had a great suggestion. The Tom Bihn bags are expensive but well worth the money. They are very high quality. I have one that is perfect for carrying an ipad, pens, smaller notebook, keys, checkbook, phone, etc. There are several styles/versions, and they offer a wide variety of smaller 'bags' that one can place inside the larger bags for further organization. Give them a look if you haven't yet.

tandaina
August 11th, 2014, 10:46 AM
The Magellan OnBoard bags do go under the seat?

Yeah, looks like they have a wheeled one that does. But then it really does become just an airport bag. I can't imagine wheeling around a bag for work. Their shoulder bags don't look that bad. Here's the thing. *Most* of the time I don't travel with a laptop. I need a bag that *can* carry a 15" laptop, but doesn't have to. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but it makes sense in my head for how I use my bags. ;)

tandaina
August 11th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Pet peeve: places selling bags that just show exterior shots. No view of interior, or pockets, nada. That's so not helpful!

tandaina
August 11th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Oblique and Inky had a great suggestion. The Tom Bihn bags are expensive but well worth the money. They are very high quality. I have one that is perfect for carrying an ipad, pens, smaller notebook, keys, checkbook, phone, etc. There are several styles/versions, and they offer a wide variety of smaller 'bags' that one can place inside the larger bags for further organization. Give them a look if you haven't yet.

Yeah, I looked. Even they seem to have a hole. Either their bags are weekenders (for packing clothes, I do not need that. Anytime I travel all clothes are packed in a suitcase and checked. I never, ever, ever carry on that kind of stuff, even for a weekend trip), or are too small for my laptop. :\ Will look again, but their bag finder/laptop tool pretty much eliminated most of their bags because I don't have a Macbook Air.

For example, their Tri-Star bag (http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0940.html) which looks pretty good won't take my laptop according to their bag/computer matcher. If I had the 15" Retina it would fit, but my old uni-body Pro won't. Bother.

LagNut
August 11th, 2014, 01:28 PM
I just got a bag that I think might meet your criteria. It's a messenger bag from Timbuk2.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=XBjpU-PfGs69oQS6_YKQBg&url=http://www.timbuk2.com/command-tsa-friendly-ipad-laptop-messenger-bag/268.html&cd=4&ved=0CFEQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNFIgBVjOl9hdeEM8tPfpyVmujSymw&sig2=VY5Me1kAq84dCk_oRWdQWg

Lord knows if this URL will work, but its the slightly larger messenger bag, the command(?). I'll try to get a better link later, but I really like it. Passes as an extra bag so I could still have a carry-on.

Mike

LagNut
August 11th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Also, I bought mine on amazon, and got a 50usd lower price by choosing a color my wife can't believe I bought, but I really like - ended up around 100usd.

Carole
August 11th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I just got the Baggallini Village Tote and really like it as a carry-on. Here's a listing: http://www.shoebuy.com/baggallini-carry-on-luggage-3x32.htm

(To look at details of the bag, I usually go to Zappos or the Baggallini site.)

As much as I like Timbuk2 and Tumi bags, this one, for me, is better. Not sure if it will fit all your specs but there are a few new ones there you can check out, too.
I'm 5'2" too, so I understand completely. Fwiw, the strap length is just fine: I can carry all of these without the bottom of the bag touching the ground. ;-)

Good luck with the search!

LagNut
August 11th, 2014, 05:04 PM
OK, checked the link, and I think it's correct.

If you want specific pictures, I can easily take some.

Final point, the strap is one of its great features. It has a good cushion you can adjust or remove, and it adjusts super fast.

I carry a large laptop, and it fit fine. My only hesitation is I'm a bit over six feet and male, not your demographic. I won't be surprised if the look puts you off, but I like it.

Let me know if you want pictures...

Mike

tandaina
August 20th, 2014, 02:07 PM
For anyone wondering, I ended up going with the Rickshaw Bagworks Mini Commuter. I have to say, it is a beautiful bag. The tweed on the flap is very pretty and the rest of the bag is solid black. Incredibly well built, I can't imagine it wearing out in less than years and years of use. It is waterproof, and tons of pockets that zip closed. Big expandable one on the front with tons of zippered storage (and all zipped closed), I added an optional zippered organizer in the main compartment, *and* there is a zippered pocket on the back with more pockets inside. The number of places to squirrel stuff away is fantastic. Really a daily walk around bag with notebook, tablet, phone, wallet, etc. I decided to try their smaller, cheaper bag before I invested in the big one that would carry my laptop.

The top/sides come together in such a way that with the flap closed there is no gap between sides and top where moisture could get in or stuff could fall out. Hard to describe but very secure.

Huge bonus? The velcro closures are covered with these quiet magnetic closures. Opening and closing the bag is totally silent, but flap stays closed pretty darn well without clip snapped shut. You can remove the silencers if you want to use the velcro. I hate the noise of velcro so those babies are never coming off and I can happily use this bag in meeting without feeling like a jerk. I really like it. I'd been using a cheap leather bag about the same size but the zipper on that had pulled loose from the stitching and it was just showing its cheapness. So it will be finding a new home and this will take its place. :)

Pretty color!

Front pocket and main pocket (big red thing is a pencil case/washi tape case/carries all my journaling stuff neatly case.)

Before my next big trip I'll almost certainly invest in the full sized Commuter so I can carry my laptop, for now this'll do just fine! (It holds my tablet and keyboard plus notebooks, pens, etc so most of the time I won't need the laptop anyway.)

sharmon202
August 20th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Timbuk2 Messenger bag. You can customize your own color design. Had mine for 4 months or so and love it!

orfew
August 20th, 2014, 05:14 PM
For anyone wondering, I ended up going with the Rickshaw Bagworks Mini Commuter. I have to say, it is a beautiful bag. The tweed on the flap is very pretty and the rest of the bag is solid black. Incredibly well built, I can't imagine it wearing out in less than years and years of use. It is waterproof, and tons of pockets that zip closed. Big expandable one on the front with tons of zippered storage (and all zipped closed), I added an optional zippered organizer in the main compartment, *and* there is a zippered pocket on the back with more pockets inside. The number of places to squirrel stuff away is fantastic. Really a daily walk around bag with notebook, tablet, phone, wallet, etc. I decided to try their smaller, cheaper bag before I invested in the big one that would carry my laptop.

The top/sides come together in such a way that with the flap closed there is no gap between sides and top where moisture could get in or stuff could fall out. Hard to describe but very secure.

Huge bonus? The velcro closures are covered with these quiet magnetic closures. Opening and closing the bag is totally silent, but flap stays closed pretty darn well without clip snapped shut. You can remove the silencers if you want to use the velcro. I hate the noise of velcro so those babies are never coming off and I can happily use this bag in meeting without feeling like a jerk. I really like it. I'd been using a cheap leather bag about the same size but the zipper on that had pulled loose from the stitching and it was just showing its cheapness. So it will be finding a new home and this will take its place. :)

Pretty color!

Front pocket and main pocket (big red thing is a pencil case/washi tape case/carries all my journaling stuff neatly case.)

Before my next big trip I'll almost certainly invest in the full sized Commuter so I can carry my laptop, for now this'll do just fine! (It holds my tablet and keyboard plus notebooks, pens, etc so most of the time I won't need the laptop anyway.)

Very nice. Glad you like your new bag. Thanks for the photos.

GING GING
August 21st, 2014, 10:50 PM
I just noticed your FPGEEK badge. It didn't do anything for me until I saw it attached to something