PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your fountain pens?

FP_GaF
June 23rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Most of my modern pens have come from two trusted online retailers in the UK. The nice thing about them is that I know I get top quality. The downside of course is price, it is almost impossible to find real bargains.

My vintage pens have almost exclusively come from eBay and as we all know there are incredible bargains to be had. But almost every single pen needed further work even though the seller claims they are "in woring order", whatever they mean by that. Now, I do love to repair and restore old fountain pens but I feel that with eBay it is very much hit and miss. A fair portion of luck is required. I know I can return unsatisfactory items. Sometimes I just like the convenience of knowing exactly what I get.

And then there is this special store for writing instruments and high quality stationary in my hometown. They have "Da Drawer". This is where they keep the special offers. I found some of my most precious (valuable and/or dear) fountain pens in this store. A Sheaffer Legacy I, for instance, and on my last visit home last year I got an Aurora Talentum. And the nice bit is that these offers are ususally 50% to 60% off the original store prices. The pens are perfectly fine, they are just final stock or they could not be sold for a long time. Last Year I saw a Pelikan M620 New York that had been lying in the store for more than eight years! It was on sale for 120 Euros (I had only funds for one pen and I already had three Pelikan FPs but no Aurora). I guess we all have our "special secret source" for thise grail pens.

So how about you? Do you trust eBay? Do you prefer modern pens and online retailers? Or do you have that very special super secret once-in-a-lifetime rare-as-fairy-dust incredibly awsome fountain pen dealer? ...and what's the address and phone number?

etoyoc
June 23rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
for the most part from either jetpens, gouletpens, or isellpens

writingrav
June 23rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Most from Goulet, some from Colorado Pen, Chinese from hisnibs.com. Have bought 4 or 5 from eBay all but the PCA pen disappointments. And 2 directly from Twsbi and 2 from Edison.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dgator
June 23rd, 2012, 12:05 PM
I purchase most of my pens online. I've had positive purchasing experiences with Richard Binder and Todd (isellpens). No affiliation, just a happy customer. :-)

Tracy Lee
June 23rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
Fountain Pen Hospital, Bert up t Bertram's Inkwell, and Fahrneys mostly. Others here and there. Just got a great price from FPH and ordered my Homo Sapiens Stainless Steel. Oversized fountain, of course. :)

Lt. Tom
June 23rd, 2012, 04:38 PM
for the most part from either jetpens, gouletpens, or isellpens

These three for me too. There is a brick and mortar luggage store that carries fountain pens up in Lexington Ky, I think it is called "Leather, Inc". My daughter goes to college up there and the last time I was up there to drop her off I picked up a Pelikano Junior and a bottle of ink from them. Other than that one purchase, they've all been from the three etoyoc mentioned.

manoeuver
June 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Ebay is second to none for disappointing FP purchases.

Other than that I use the pens I have. Just kidding. Jetpens, the Goulets, Isellpens, they all offer something worth part of your paypal balance.

KrazyIvan
June 23rd, 2012, 09:57 PM
Lets see.

Gouletpens.com (http://www.gouletpens.com/Default.asp)
jetpens.com (http://www.jetpens.com/)
isellpens.com (http://isellpens.com/)
ipenstore.com (http://www.ipenstore.com/servlet/StoreFront)
ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com/)
gumwater.com (http://www.gumwater.com/Default.asp) <- this one is new to me and I just ordered a Preppy and a large Dot Webbie.

I forgot to add the FPN and FPGeeks classified section!

jfsisler
June 24th, 2012, 06:02 AM
A couple of good vintage pens from Ebay, Jetpens, and a couple of local stationery stores.

ink mixer
June 24th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Aside from the spots already mentioned Peyton Street Pens and Mauricio at Vintagepen.net.

etoyoc
June 24th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Several pen eBay purchases I have made were lost in the mail. Tracking shows they were delivered, but they weren't delivered to me. Not the sellers fault, not PayPals fault, not eBays fault. But delivery confirmation said they were delivered. I did not receive them. I lose and as long as that delivery confirmation says I received them I have nothing to stand on. So, I don't order pens through eBay anymore. I have bookmarked gumwater and will keep them in mind for future purchases.

tce
June 24th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I buy some pens online - good online stores here in the UK and in Italy, so far - and I also have a very good pen shop not too far away (Penbox)- always well worth a visit. Have had one good experience with a Japanese seller through eBay, bought from sellers in forums such as this and, just occasionally, stumble upon bargains in department stores and stationers. The only problems I seem to have are with delivery, but a severe email to the main culprit has sorted that, I think - for now. The other problem is paying the wretched plastic off at the end of the month!

Bogon07
June 24th, 2012, 06:19 PM
All my purchased pens are Lamys.
About a quarter were walk in and buys here in Australia but the prices are 30-50% higher than on-line.

There rest were on-line shops or eBay.
Two from Australian sources and a few from UK or HongKong and the rest from Malaysian eBayers.
The biggest problem is the inefficiency of my local post office at finding the items in their store room.

ianmedium
June 24th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Farhneys, John Motitshaw, ebay and Perks here in Vancouver.

Pinkys.Brain
June 24th, 2012, 10:05 PM
90% of my pens are from ebay. For the rest I went to bigger department stores or ordered them through a specialized stationary store.

inky
June 24th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I buy mine mostly from the Goulets. I have a few Kaweco's from Jetpens and I have bought a few from isellpens. I have used ebay for some Esterbrooks and a Parker 51 as well. ipenstore gets good marks from me too.

fountainpenkid
June 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
The place with the lowest prices--Pam Braun, Printhardcopy (on FPN), or Ebay. For inks, Goulets all the way :)

dannzeman
June 26th, 2012, 02:30 PM
If I buy a pen brand new I usually just buy from whoever has it for the best price. The vast majority of my pens, modern or vintage, come from eBay. I've been pretty fortunate with most of my vintage pens in that when they're listed as working they usually are.

One time I was lucky enough to find a retailer in Chicago who was liquidating their pen inventory and I picked up a vanishing Point for $60. I was pretty stoked about that!

FLJeepGuy
June 27th, 2012, 06:52 AM
There are a few vendors I use for 90% of my purchases of which Goulet and ISellPens are at the top. Beyond that, especially if I'm looking for something specific, it will be eBay, or some other online vendor. I've also purchased a good number of pens in antique and curio shops or at pen shows I've attended. I try not to pay full retail for anything if I can help it.

goldiesdad
June 27th, 2012, 07:36 AM
For me:

Mainly : gouletpens and isellpens

I have purchased a few from Richardspens and Peyton Street

FP_GaF
June 28th, 2012, 08:30 AM
One time I was lucky enough to find a retailer in Chicago who was liquidating their pen inventory and I picked up a vanishing Point for $60. I was pretty stoked about that!

:jaw: Wow! That's a good bargain. Yep, you have to keep your eyes pealed for these opportunities. Congratulations.

KrazyIvan
June 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM
So I take it that Dan is not going to reveal his super secret source for vintage Sheaffers? :p

Bogon07
June 28th, 2012, 04:09 PM
So I take it that Dan is not going to reveal his super secret source for vintage Sheaffers? :p

On the Podcast I thought he said something about getting all the pens he wanted before blabbing about his sources.

FP_GaF
June 29th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Have you tried playing the podcast backwards? That always reveals the link to the source.

Hang on, isn't that usually the devil? So there we are: Dan has sold his soul to the devil to get those devine Sheaffers...

No, that doesn't make sense! Darn, I thought I had figured it out. :jester:

KrazyIvan
June 29th, 2012, 10:35 AM
LOL! I am going to have examine past podcasts in reverse and see if I can find any hidden "subliminimaminal" messages. :crazy_pilot: