PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a clue

Silverbreeze
August 14th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Does this look like a real MontBlanc?
Might be able to get it for the price of a pair of Ahabs so willing to risk a fake
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/14/me4uba4e.jpg

mhosea
August 14th, 2014, 06:44 AM
I'm no expert in Montblanc fakes, so take this FWIW, but on the appearance of the nib alone, my money would be on it being legit. A nicely centered, deeply stamped logo like that is reassuring to me.

jar
August 14th, 2014, 07:20 AM
A few more pictures would help identify the model but it is a post 50s MB from one of the slim versions.

orfew
August 16th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Cannot tell the exact model from that picture, but yes I would say it is legit.

jar
August 16th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Looking more closely I am pretty sure it is a Generation and so a fair buy at that price but not a real deal.

KBeezie
August 22nd, 2014, 01:59 PM
It goes without saying that no one can guarantee it's real or fake just from pictures alone, or even guarantee that you'll get the same pen pictured. (I mainly say this because I've seen people who were persistent, waiting for someone to say that something was 100% real, which is impossible to do with just pictures).

But as mhosea said a deep perfectly centered imprint is usually a good sign but not an absolute guarantee.

I'm guessing at that price they didn't list it as a Montlbanc? (usually someone purposely selling a fake is going to make mentions of that brand, and aren't going to try to sell a fake below the cost of what it took to make it).

mhosea
August 22nd, 2014, 04:22 PM
But as mhosea said a deep perfectly centered imprint is usually a good sign but not an absolute guarantee.

Well, just to clarify, it's not just that it is centered. Replicas tend to use steel nibs, obviously, and these are engraved or sometimes even etched. The result has a "shallow" look compared to what we see here. Note also that you can "shop" for Montblanc "replicas" online. I don't think you will find many "replicas" of the relatively inexpensive Montblancs (which are no longer made, of course, since Montblanc decided to focus on the luxury market some time back), rather of the modern, expensive cartridge/converter models.

Chrissy
August 25th, 2014, 03:35 PM
My vote would be that it's authentic. Although I'm not 100% sure which model it is from that one picture of the nib, I know I have seen others like it.

alc3261
August 25th, 2014, 04:44 PM
I have one like this, it is a Generation.