PDA

View Full Version : The Pens I use in my Pocket.

KBeezie
August 14th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Currently I have three "Pocket" pens (ones I actually put naked into my pocket).

I have a Pilot Metropolitan (Black Crocodile with Fine Nib) in the photos for size comparison.

From Top to Bottom

Kaweco AL Sport (Raw, Medium Nib)
Pilot Petit1 (Blue-Black, Fine)
Pilot Elite Mini (18K Soft Fine)
Pilot Metropolitan (Black Crocodile, Fine)

Shown are the lengths capped, uncapped, and posted.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pocket_pens/capped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pocket_pens/uncapped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pocket_pens/posted.jpg

I purchased the Kaweco from a member on here selling both a AL Sport and Clear Classic Sport (immediately sold the clear one to a friend before I even got the two). The AL Sport is going to take some getting used to, especially without a clip (and as I understand it the slip on clip doesn't work very well with the Raw finish), but it's great how secure that screw on cap is. It's one of the kind of pens that I could just throw in my pocket without much of a problem, I just don't care for it's cartridge-only approach (currently got Akkerman Shocking Blue syringe filled into a cartridge). I really like feeling up the raw finish though, and to most people it just looks like a tool, like a screw driver or something. I'll probably order a clip, since they're only like $3, can't hurt to try.

The Petit1 is nearly identical in capped and posted size to the Kaweco, nearly the same thickness too. Very easy to pocket (though it's one that MUST have that clip, otherwise I wouldn't put it into my pocket). It's the one I like handing to people, if the nib springs, oh well, it was $3. Oddly the nib is just as smooth as my other pens. Looks like a "cutie pie" type of pen, but it works and easy to carry. I got it with a 3-pack of ink refills, which look like shortened pilot cartridges. No converter either, but it's much easier to refill those wide top cartridges, but I would likely just keep using the blue-black refills, they dry pretty quickly for most practical purposes. I mainly got it because I needed to hit $20 to get free shipping on a Uni Kuru-toga mechanical pencil and some NanoDia refills from JStationery.

My favorite everyday carry pen, especially directly into my pocket, Pilot Elite Mini with an 18K Soft Fine nib. Very smooth, not too thin, decent size capped, and nice feel when posted. It was way too wet with Noodler's Blue-Black (which is partially bulletproof), but with Liberty's Elysium it's just the right wetness to flow well, and dries quickly on paper, where as with the Blue-Black smeared way too easily for up to a minute. But with Elysium I'm looking at excellent flow, and around 3-5 second drying time on most everyday paper. It was sort of an upgrade from my nearly identical Korean Made (same era too) Pilot Elite with a steel extra-fine nib that I got from speerbob (that one was around $22 shipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-Elite-Black-Gold-Big-Cap-Fountain-Pen-Extra-Fine-Nib-Mint-NOS-/371037824996), the Elite Mini ran me $36 shipped).

The Pilot Metropolitan isn't bad, but it's slightly too tall for comfortable pocket use. Since it doesn't have that long metal cap like my Elite does, I just don't really feel comfortable carrying that one around, it has a different "feel" to my elite when used regularly, I like the long grip on my Elite compared to it.

The Petit1 and Elite Mini are excellent in a shirt pocket, around the perfect height and clips on just right (The Elite has a nicer thickness to me). Where as the Kaweco AL Sport isn't as nice to use in a shirt pocket without a clip, falls over and lays horizontally which is uncomfortable for me.

ac12
August 16th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Mine is an Ohto Tasche.

Zhivago
August 16th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I see your Kaweco Raw is nicely scratched up. I've never been able to warm up to the Kaweco Sport line, but having a pen the makers want you to mark up is tempting in a weird sort of way. Why aren't the clips supposed to work on them? Those newer Art Deco style clips from Kaweco are rather nice looking.

KBeezie
August 16th, 2014, 11:37 PM
I see your Kaweco Raw is nicely scratched up. I've never been able to warm up to the Kaweco Sport line, but having a pen the makers want you to mark up is tempting in a weird sort of way. Why aren't the clips supposed to work on them? Those newer Art Deco style clips from Kaweco are rather nice looking.

I'm not aware of the art deco clips (would be neat to see those), I just know that from the reviews the slip-on clips don't seem to hold onto the aluminum finish all that well.

I purchased my Kaweco used so it already had some TLC going on, tell you one thing though, not afraid to throw it into my pocket with other stuff jiggling around.

Mine is an Ohto Tasche.

Those look sleek, solid yet inexpensive.

Zhivago
August 17th, 2014, 12:10 AM
New clips at JetPens.

http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Special-N-Clip-Chrome/pd/12479

KBeezie
August 17th, 2014, 12:13 AM
New clips at JetPens.

Classy, though they only work with the 'Special' versions which are thinner and longer.

Zhivago
August 17th, 2014, 12:38 AM
New clips at JetPens.

Classy, though they only work with the 'Special' versions which are thinner and longer.

I think they'll work on the Sport line, too. I just checked ebay and a German listing mentions them working on the Sport line but for the 'AL Sport Touch' (whatever that is). So, perhaps they would only work on the plastic Sports.

Zhivago
August 17th, 2014, 12:39 AM
Actually, JetPens shows them on a few Sports.

http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Sport-N-Clip-Bronze-Raw/pd/12481

GING GING
August 17th, 2014, 05:45 PM

TMH478
August 17th, 2014, 08:51 PM
I am looking forward to getting my first pocket fountain pen! That's a great write up! Anyhow, my current pocket pen is a Swiss Army Knife with a built-in ballpoint. The size is perfect for the inside of any pocket. I pick it up and it always writes and proves to be very practical, especially with the additional features of the knife including the tweezers, knife, nail file, and bottle opener. :clap2:

Hawk
August 18th, 2014, 10:25 AM
The pen I use is whatever I feel like using that has ink in it. I work in a lock shop so I am reluctant to carry my nicest pens. If I am not going to work with my hands, I will carry one of my nicer pens. Modern or vintage, they get carried.

KBeezie
August 18th, 2014, 10:36 AM
The pen I use is whatever I feel like using that has ink in it. I work in a lock shop so I am reluctant to carry my nicest pens. If I am not going to work with my hands, I will carry one of my nicer pens. Modern or vintage, they get carried.

I usually expect to hear that least once in every thread especially when it comes to a specific niche, bout the same as whatever camera has film in it, or my best one is whatever one I have on me.

I understand the sentiment, but I am mainly talking bout some pens that may fare better in pants pockets by itself without the use of a case, where as most others easily run the risk of being snapped in half etc.

And I carry a lot of mine, modern or vintage as well, but for some I usually have a leather case for them, or carry them in my camera bag in another form of case. So not really about what will be carried, because eventually they all will be.

They're two different clips. Special N, Sports N. Meaning they made that design for both, when you linked me to the Special N, that one would only fit the special model. But nice to know they have that design for both.

They probably don't want them on the AL Sport (unofficially) Because it may scratch it up much more easily, but with the raw finish, you'd think that would be the goal.

PS: I went ahead and ordered the chrome version of that Sport N clip to see how it goes on my AL Sport Raw.

Zhivago
August 18th, 2014, 11:35 AM

They're two different clips. Special N, Sports N. Meaning they made that design for both, when you linked me to the Special N, that one would only fit the special model. But nice to know they have that design for both.

They probably don't want them on the AL Sport (unofficially) Because it may scratch it up much more easily, but with the raw finish, you'd think that would be the goal.

PS: I went ahead and ordered the chrome version of that Sport N clip to see how it goes on my AL Sport Raw.

You're right, I did originally link to the Special version. I didn't even notice the wording at first. Please do report back on your experience with the clip. I have to contact JetPens on another matter, but plan to ask about the clips working on the AL Sports.

KBeezie
August 18th, 2014, 12:17 PM
You're right, I did originally link to the Special version. I didn't even notice the wording at first. Please do report back on your experience with the clip. I have to contact JetPens on another matter, but plan to ask about the clips working on the AL Sports.

By the way the normal Kaweco clip arrived today and is sitting on my AL Sport right now, don't really see an issue except maybe the potential for it to slip off (but so far seems to be firm once I got it on). There's a definite color difference between raw aluminum and the nickel-like clip.

Hawk
August 18th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I guess I misunderstood your initial message. I agree most pens carried in a pants pocket wouldn't survive. I have a Monteverde Stealth that seems like it could handle some abuse, it is, however, an average length pen that might not work carrying it in the pants pocket. As you might guess, I'm a shirt pocket carrier.

KBeezie
August 18th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I guess I misunderstood your initial message. I agree most pens carried in a pants pocket wouldn't survive. I have a Monteverde Stealth that seems like it could handle some abuse, it is, however, an average length pen that might not work carrying it in the pants pocket. As you might guess, I'm a shirt pocket carrier.

Generally I wish I had more shirts with pockets, but at the same time a lot of the pens are either too tall or too heavy to fit into a shirt pocket (either I'm too big, or the pockets are getting smaller). Especially in the summer I'm usually just using a tshirt or polo of sort rather than a button up shirt with a pocket.

rdcalhoon
August 18th, 2014, 04:32 PM
The Kaweco clip nests pretty far down the cap. As a result it shows a lot of the cap when clipped to your shirt pocket. This may be a feature or a fault, depending on your attitude. I know I think about it when I am carrying my orange Ice Sport.

Zhivago
August 18th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Generally I wish I had more shirts with pockets, but at the same time a lot of the pens are either too tall or too heavy to fit into a shirt pocket (either I'm too big, or the pockets are getting smaller). Especially in the summer I'm usually just using a tshirt or polo of sort rather than a button up shirt with a pocket.

Pockets are definitely getting smaller. They are still out there, but it can be a real struggle to find button down shirts with pockets deep enough to hold anything beyond small/pocket pens like the TWSBI Mini, Pilot Elite or Kaweco Sport. I find this rather annoying as I'm definitely one who likes to carry a pen in his shirt pocket.

tandaina
August 18th, 2014, 05:13 PM

Pockets are definitely getting smaller. They are still out there, but it can be a real struggle to find button down shirts with pockets deep enough to hold anything beyond small/pocket pens like the TWSBI Mini, Pilot Elite or Kaweco Sport. I find this rather annoying as I'm definitely one who likes to carry a pen in his shirt pocket.

And women who use fountain pens are like: shirt pockets? What are those? Never heard of the things. :P So nice to have options that can go in pants pocket, or when even my skirts don't have pockets, my bag.

velo
August 18th, 2014, 07:48 PM
For me when I think of a pocket pen it's the ease of use rather than the size that matters. If a pen is in my pocket it's most likely going to be for quick notes. I've been tempted by Kaweco many times but I can't be bothered unscrewing and posting the cap to write. My Pilot VP is my preferred pocket pen. All metal, click to write and a clip if I need it.

Zhivago
August 18th, 2014, 07:53 PM
And women who use fountain pens are like: shirt pockets? What are those? Never heard of the things. :P So nice to have options that can go in pants pocket, or when even my skirts don't have pockets, my bag.

Yes, shrinking shirt pockets are not a concern for all here. ;-)

If you carry a c/c pen in your pants pocket, has the cart or the converter ever come loose inside the pen because of your walking or running?

KBeezie
August 18th, 2014, 10:16 PM

Yes, shrinking shirt pockets are not a concern for all here. ;-)

If you carry a c/c pen in your pants pocket, has the cart or the converter ever come loose inside the pen because of your walking or running?

Has yet to happen to me, and I'd imagine the same risks are possible doing the same kind of activity with a backpack or purse.

The Kaweco clip nests pretty far down the cap. As a result it shows a lot of the cap when clipped to your shirt pocket. This may be a feature or a fault, depending on your attitude. I know I think about it when I am carrying my orange Ice Sport.

I only recently got a clip on mine, but I find that for pants it's not that bad, keeps it stationery. For shirt pocket though (or the smaller pocket in pants like with the carpenter/painter style), I'd rather it without the clip. Least for the Sport/ALSport it's removable. Clip-wise of the 3 I have, the two Pilots do fare better.

Knew it wasn't just me. Seems like they're normally only big enough to hold a light handkerchief. Saw some of the shirts in the store the other day, and I'm wondering how the heck did the nerds and geeks of our past ever manage a pocket protector in those things.

Bout the only one lately I feel comfortable using with a pen in the front pocket is a button up shirt that's polyester of sort aimed the fishing crowd with like four breast pockets (one deeper set, with a smaller set sewn to the front of those). I don't fish at all but that shirt plus some "booyah" fishing glasses (I like the polarization on them, and they were cheap), would say otherwise.

Bogon07
August 18th, 2014, 10:53 PM

Mrs Bogon's uniform has so many pockets. At least six on the cargo pants alone and another two on the shirt & a bag as well. Plenty of space for a Kaweco ICE Sport.

milkb0at
August 19th, 2014, 03:07 AM
I love that Pilot Elite. That's jumped near the top of my wish-list, next to an M90.

My short pen is a Kaweco Sport classic. It wasn't getting much use but I've just swapped from M to EF nib and it's much better for me. I don't carry pens in pockets, though, so it's only my pocket pen in name, not usage.

KBeezie
August 19th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I love that Pilot Elite. That's jumped near the top of my wish-list, next to an M90.

My short pen is a Kaweco Sport classic. It wasn't getting much use but I've just swapped from M to EF nib and it's much better for me. I don't carry pens in pockets, though, so it's only my pocket pen in name, not usage.

Mine is an Elite Mini, which is smaller than just "Elite", it's closest modern one seems to be the 95S, as most of the other "Elite" I see out there have much smaller caps, and over all longer lengths.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as not to get too confused when doing a search (it also appears they threw the "Elite" name on quite a few different styles of pens).

milkb0at
August 19th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Ah, thanks KBeezie.

Zhivago
August 19th, 2014, 08:32 PM
I heard back from a rep at JetPens.

Regarding the Kaweco clips, I personally have not experienced any issues with either styles not fitting on the Raw Aluminum Sport pen. This particular version does have a slicker finish though, so I could see how it might start to slip over time. Usually you can correct any slipping by pressing the clip's sides together a little, to sort of tighten the hold.

Polyhistor
August 20th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Karl, you just sent me down the road of Kaweco lust again. My Sport has yet to disappoint me, but an AL would be oh so nice (thinking about the denim blue raw model).

Not to hijack your thread, and I really hope this isn't considered offensive or anything, but only minutes before coming across this thread, I put a handmade Kaweco sleeve up for sale. Maybe someone from the pocket pen crowd might be interested. I was just going to post a heads up in the other pocket pen thread too, but I'm still looking for that one.

KBeezie
August 20th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Karl, you just sent me down the road of Kaweco lust again. My Sport has yet to disappoint me, but an AL would be oh so nice (thinking about the denim blue raw model).

Not to hijack your thread, and I really hope this isn't considered offensive or anything, but only minutes before coming across this thread, I put a handmade Kaweco sleeve up for sale. Maybe someone from the pocket pen crowd might be interested. I was just going to post a heads up in the other pocket pen thread too, but I'm still looking for that one.

Not a problem (seemed relevant)... they have something that's blue AND raw? That'd be cool, I only seen simple Raw Aluminum which is just straight aluminum with nothing done to it but a polish.

KBeezie
August 21st, 2014, 03:05 PM
Got the Sport N clip. It goes on a tad tighter than the traditional one, so far it's working, it's a bit more stylish and it's easier to pull up with one finger in order to slip it down on a pocket.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/kaweco/sport_n_clip.jpg

It also appears to be slightly more grey than the typical silver clip, but not as dark as the nickel offering.