PDA

View Full Version : Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

Jeph
August 15th, 2014, 05:52 AM
This is more of a plea for help than a review although I will give my impressions of this ink.

I don't even know why I chose to add a sample of Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris to my last Goulet order but I did. It was the last sample that I have tried from that shipment. I must admit that this ink really intrigues me. The name suggests green, and in fact it goes down as between medium green and dark green. But that does not last long. If I could only use one color to describe this ink it would be "dark teal." The part that intrigues me is that using the same pen (Lamy AL-Star EF) on the same paper (Rhodia 80# #16 grid pad) on the same day (today) in the same location (my desk) with the same lighting (overcast natural + overhead fluorescent) the ink ends up as several different colors. It varies from black, to greenish black, to blue-black, to steel blue, to varying shades of teal but mostly it ends up as a dark teal.

I did a rhodia sample and a cheap copy paper sample and tried to scan them. This is where my plea for help comes in. My scanner is normally very good at accurately scanning writing samples. But with this ink, no matter what I do, it just comes out looking like a soft (not quite faded) dark blue.

If anyone has what they believe to be an accurate scan of this ink I would appreciate seeing it. I think that this is one of those inks that is much more sensitive to changes in pens, nib widths, paper and even users. I would also like to hear of anyone else's experience with this ink. I will probably buy a bottle anyway.

Against my better judgment I am adding a portion of a 1200 dpi scan scaled down 50% just to show that I really tried.

RuiFromUK
August 15th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Hi Jeph,

Unfortunately I haven't got that ink so I cannot provide you something to compare with.

From the monitor I am working on at the moment (which is not very good btw) it seems to be a dark grey purple/blue, nowhere near green but the good news is that you are not the only one with that sort of tone on your scans:

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?brand=Rohrer+and+Klingner&range=bottled+ink&cat=ink

Cheers.

Rui

Robert
August 15th, 2014, 07:44 AM
It doesn't look at all green on my screen. More of a dark indigo with deep grey tones.

sharmon202
August 15th, 2014, 02:08 PM
This is one of the first inks I bought ( a year ago) and I love it. However, for me it is a very dark, more green-black color, the wider the line the more green/ a bit blue it has.. not much blue,not at all like these pictures. I usually use F/EF nibs on Rhodia/Clarefontaine. I am wondering if you got a mislabeled sample? My ink journal shows definite green, little blue. Sorry I cannot do pictures right now.

Jeph
August 16th, 2014, 01:02 AM
No, I am sorry if I was not being clear. The scan I posted is not what I see at all and that is the problem. That is what it becomes in the scanner. What I described is what I see on the paper, and while the scanned color is among the colors produced, that is not what it looks like when I write. Maybe I will do some writing today and try the camera instead of the scanner.

The Good Captain
August 16th, 2014, 02:26 AM
I love the complexities of this ink. Wonderful and one of my favourites. And I totally agree about the colours it offers. Greens through to dark blues. A real winner.

migo984
August 16th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I love the complexities of this ink. Wonderful and one of my favourites. And I totally agree about the colours it offers. Greens through to dark blues. A real winner.

Yes - this is a great ink. I have an embarrassing number of inks and this is one that I keep using repeatedly. I like the unexpected and unpredictable colour/shades you get, dependent on the pen & nib.

dneal
August 29th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Yes, your scanner does seem to have omitted the slight green tint.

I find R&K Verdigris to be a very intense version of Waterman Mysterious Blue, or other "teal" blue-blacks. It does vary by pen though.

This sample is from an Omas XF, and the color on my monitor matches what I see on the paper. Other monitors might not display the same.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Ink/RampKVerdigris_zps6601c869.jpg

Jeph
August 29th, 2014, 12:53 AM
Thanks dneal. Your scan (on this monitor) does look better. I like how it varies even using the same pen, but that is very close to the baseline color. I did end up buying a bottle but now that it has arrived I can't decide what pen to put it in. I guess that is a good problem.

Robert
August 29th, 2014, 07:58 AM
dneal - - What a lovely color (on my screen, anyway). I've got this ink on my "Must Try" short list.

Cob
August 29th, 2014, 03:42 PM
dneal - - What a lovely color (on my screen, anyway). I've got this ink on my "Must Try" short list.

Me too

Cob

Jeph
August 30th, 2014, 03:33 AM
And just a quick note, back on my home screen his scan looks like yet another boring blue.
To anyone thinking about this ink, go ahead and order a sample. It is the only way that you will know for sure.

7188photo
September 14th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Went to the (recently re-arranged it seems) Nagasawa pen shop in Kobe and just couldn't resist getting this one (although I went with the intention of buying a reddish ink... which I bought as well...).
Have yet to try it but looking forward to see how it looks with a flexy pen - you certainly got my expectations raised sky high!