PDA

View Full Version : Conway Stewart and Mabie Todd

Quantum Sailor
August 15th, 2014, 08:54 PM
As I'm starting to get more knowledgable about what I like in fountain pens I've developed an interest in Conway Stewart pens and Mabie Todd. Since I didn't see a sub forum for these pens in the brand focus I decided to start a discussion here.

Right now I'm enjoying a Conway Stewart 55 in red marble

I'm not sure what kind of nib it is, it has little to no flex and is very sharp? I'm not sure if that's a good description. You can see the writing with it. I also learned a valuable lesson about lever fillers from this pen, which is even if you think its out of ink hold it over the ink bottle while pulling the lever to refill. And yes it is Friday night and I'm sitting at home working through a math book on a fountain pen forum....

As of yet I don't have a Mabie Todd, I've banned myself from eBay until I get some pens I bought and didn't feel fit my writing style sold.

Marsilius
August 15th, 2014, 10:03 PM
They can sometimes tell you they are almost out of ink when they bloop ink on the page. MY favorite pen of all times is my Mabie Todd Swan lever less (c.1938) pen with teeth marks and has some flex and writes so smoothly. It leaks if I take it out, so it stays on the desk at home. I love many of the Mabie Todd nibs I have tried.
I have yet to get to try a Conway Stewart, but know folks are avid about them.
I bet you would like a Parker Vacumatic with a precise and fine but smooth nib, from the look of your handwriting.

Cob
August 16th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Well it's not hard to be a Mabie Todd fan after all!

I agree with Marsilius, from the look of your hand, a fine nib would be most suitable; I don't think that it would have to be a firm one especially - you might enjoy a fine nib with some flex; I have four Swans with nibs that meet these criteria, and they are delightful, but for now at least I am not selling them!

Good luck with your quest.

Cob

Quantum Sailor
August 18th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I have been keeping my eyes open for a swan. I like the style of the Conway's and the Swans more than most of the other fountain pens that I have come across. I've been trying to find some larger models to try out.

six3oo
August 19th, 2014, 07:42 AM
http://i.imgur.com/VdBejbo.jpg

Two restoration jobs I got off eBay. The green celluloid No. 28 has a broken lever and a very brassed clip - will be replacing the lever and replating the clip. The nib is smooth and soft, and gives rather nice flex. The No. 480 is really interesting; its the Australian export version of the 479, and has a SUPER broad flex nib, to the point where it might be a flex stub. The feed sometimes has issues coping with the nib - when fully flexed, the pen railroads easily. Brilliant writers though.

RuiFromUK
August 19th, 2014, 08:03 AM
This was done with a Swan (no, I was not on my head when I wrote it :)) and the paper was not of the greatest fp friendliness http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3853-Copperplate-script-using-Swan-3160-fine-flexible-nib

Quantum Sailor
August 20th, 2014, 01:03 PM
This was done with a Swan (no, I was not on my head when I wrote it :)) and the paper was not of the greatest fp friendliness http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3853-Copperplate-script-using-Swan-3160-fine-flexible-nib

Wow I can't write like for anything lol. I have been debating on getting some of those old handwriting training books.

I couldn't figure out how to respond with two quotes so this part is to the post two above from six3oo those look are nice, I've been pouring over ebay myself lol.

I've been trying to find an old 100 after talking to tarheel the other day but they seem to be pretty rare and expensive. If the next few auctions on ebay work out I'll have something to post again :)

Cob
August 20th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Yes, well my friend Rui is a great Swan fan: I have seen some of his mouth-watering collection and I too am jealous of his handwriting skills.

Getting back on topic, I have had quite a lot of Swans (and sold a lot on too). You might see a Swan on ebay, and the listing will say something like "Swan No 2 14ct gold nib" Well of course it has a 14ct gold nib - or should have - as all Swans came with them! The No2 nibs are by far the most common but are incredibly variable: I have some which are "nails" - and that's not counting the incredibly rigid No 2 Eternal I have - for which I am looking for a home! And that is before you consider fine/medium/broad etc. I have a broad No2 nib that I call the "boiled spaghetti nib, it being so soft. If you can find one at reasonable money, a Swan Minor with No 1 nib is often a good bet as many of these had lovely flexible nibs. If you are new to the business, then try to find listings with writing samples, or go to a respectable dealer who provides these; I can heartily recommend Deb at Goodwriters Pens (http://www.goodwriterssales.com/); Deb always includes a writing sample with each pen she sells and she provides honest descriptions of each pen.

Edit: I should have added that you mustn't forget the Mabie Todd Blackbird range: again these are variable, but many had gorgeous nibs too.

Best of luck,

Cob

Quantum Sailor
August 23rd, 2014, 11:53 PM
I have had a bit of luck getting a hold of some other Conway Stewart Pens but unfortunately I have never won a Mabie Todd yet.

Kaputnik
August 24th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I have one of each, a Conway Stewart 388 on the left, which I believe is from the 1950s, and a Mabie Todd Swann from (I think) the 1930s. Neither is inked right now.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt221/mapn/Pens/SwanStew_zpsf4a0cccb.jpg (http://s614.photobucket.com/user/mapn/media/Pens/SwanStew_zpsf4a0cccb.jpg.html)

The Conway Stewart is a very attractive little pen; the nib has some flex, and it's a reliable pocket pen not given to leaking or other quirks. The ink capacity is really not good, though, and I have so many other pens. What with one thing and another, it must be a year since I've used it. Any day now, though.

The Mabie Todd, unfortunately, has a right oblique slant to it. As a right-hander, I have used left obliques with success, but this is a bit of a challenge. When I get the rotation just right, it's a very smooth writer, but it's not one I'd pick very often. At this point, I don't think that getting the nib reground to a "normal" would be worth it to me.

Quantum Sailor
August 25th, 2014, 02:10 AM
So the banning myself from ebay has failed and I landed a mabie todd. I'll update more about it when i get it :)

Cob
August 25th, 2014, 04:04 AM
I have one of each, a Conway Stewart 388 on the left, which I believe is from the 1950s, and a Mabie Todd Swann from (I think) the 1930s. Neither is inked right now.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt221/mapn/Pens/SwanStew_zpsf4a0cccb.jpg (http://s614.photobucket.com/user/mapn/media/Pens/SwanStew_zpsf4a0cccb.jpg.html)

The Conway Stewart is a very attractive little pen; the nib has some flex, and it's a reliable pocket pen not given to leaking or other quirks. The ink capacity is really not good, though, and I have so many other pens. What with one thing and another, it must be a year since I've used it. Any day now, though.

The Mabie Todd, unfortunately, has a right oblique slant to it. As a right-hander, I have used left obliques with success, but this is a bit of a challenge. When I get the rotation just right, it's a very smooth writer, but it's not one I'd pick very often. At this point, I don't think that getting the nib reground to a "normal" would be worth it to me.

Your Swan dates from the very late 'forties or early 'fifties - this was the period when the brass threads were used. It appears to be a 3160. No 1 nibs are often very nice.

Cob

Kaputnik
August 25th, 2014, 04:18 AM
Your Swan dates from the very late 'forties or early 'fifties - this was the period when the brass threads were used. It appears to be a 3160. No 1 nibs are often very nice.

Cob

Always good to know more, thanks.

Quantum Sailor
August 29th, 2014, 08:11 PM
So now that I have done some more research I have also discovered Mentmore and Onoto. I have to say that Onoto has a style that I really enjoy.

Cob
August 30th, 2014, 01:12 AM
[...] I have to say that Onoto has a style that I really enjoy.

And prices that make the eyes water!

Cob

Quantum Sailor
August 30th, 2014, 09:19 AM

Cob

I will be limited to vintage if I ever get one. Since I live in the U.S. they are significantly cheaper without the VAT but still darn expensive. I have a hard time justifying over 400 on a cc pen. I think for that price it should have an interesting fill mechanism. So those are about 1000 new.

Cob
August 30th, 2014, 04:06 PM

Cob

I will be limited to vintage if I ever get one. Since I live in the U.S. they are significantly cheaper without the VAT but still darn expensive. I have a hard time justifying over 400 on a cc pen. I think for that price it should have an interesting fill mechanism. So those are about 1000 new.

Yes but I WAS talking about vintage! New pens are so expensive I have never considered them - especially Namikis and Onotos and Montblancs etc.

Cob

Quantum Sailor
August 31st, 2014, 11:39 AM
Yeah I've started watching them for sale and they are very expensive. Something about the onoto makes me want one though. I'm starting to lose interest in a lot of the newer pens the more I work with vintage.

Cob
August 31st, 2014, 02:57 PM
Yeah I've started watching them for sale and they are very expensive. Something about the onoto makes me want one though. I'm starting to lose interest in a lot of the newer pens the more I work with vintage.

What about this beauty (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=371133933001&ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:GB:3160)then? (You'd have to budget for the rebuild of course...)

Cob

Quantum Sailor
August 31st, 2014, 06:01 PM

What about this beauty (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=371133933001&ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:GB:3160)then? (You'd have to budget for the rebuild of course...)

Cob

I've been watching that one actually, there was another one earlier today that someone got ahead of me just at the end. I've been looking for a lot more places to get pens that need restored as I enjoy doing it so far. Its a lot easier than working on bikes and a lot cheaper.

One of the problems is shipping though. From the uk its crazy.

Cob
September 1st, 2014, 02:47 AM
I think that Onotos are quite tricky to restore - see the Pan Repair manual by Marshall and Oldfield.

"One of the problems is shipping though. From the uk its crazy"

I charge £8.50 ($14) worldwide for Royal Mail signed.

Actually I have to say that the worst offenders are the Canadians and the Americans. Yesterday there was a Canadian offering a pen with $45 shipping to UK; one American seller wanted $25 to ship a nib for God's sake! And that's without the great customs rip-off practised by some of the American sellers.

Cob

Deb
September 1st, 2014, 05:18 AM
There may be some American sellers doing strange things, but the big rip-off comes from our own Customs & Excise, and Royal Mail adds on an £8.00 "handling charge" for good measure.

Quantum Sailor
September 1st, 2014, 08:49 AM
I think that Onotos are quite tricky to restore - see the Pan Repair manual by Marshall and Oldfield.

"One of the problems is shipping though. From the uk its crazy"

I charge £8.50 ($14) worldwide for Royal Mail signed.

Actually I have to say that the worst offenders are the Canadians and the Americans. Yesterday there was a Canadian offering a pen with $45 shipping to UK; one American seller wanted $25 to ship a nib for God's sake! And that's without the great customs rip-off practised by some of the American sellers.

Cob

So I looked up that book and will hopefully have one on the way. It looks like a good one. After reading the posts from you and Deb I looked up shipping from the U.S. to the UK and it is actually cheaper coming from your direction. $25 for a small package going there. So I don't actually have much to complain about.

Quantum Sailor
September 1st, 2014, 09:08 AM
There may be some American sellers doing strange things, but the big rip-off comes from our own Customs & Excise, and Royal Mail adds on an £8.00 "handling charge" for good measure.

I've seen some U.S. sellers try to make some extra money by padding their shipping charges. We can ship a pen here for like $6.00 tracked and insured. But there are some who will make it like $12 or more.

Cob
September 1st, 2014, 01:58 PM
[...] but the big rip-off comes from our own Customs & Excise, and Royal Mail adds on an £8.00 "handling charge" for good measure.

Yes well they are stinkers too!

Cob

Quantum Sailor
September 14th, 2014, 10:18 AM
So I recently had an issue with a pen I bought from eBay where the seller is in England. If you choose to have the package sent requiring a signature it is around 45.00 american to ship. Unfortunately for me the pen wasn't worth that and I had to just ship it regular mail and hope for the best. Though given the seller and how it has gone so far I'm somewhat expecting an I never got it response regardless of if it makes it back or not.

On a positive note I have acquired a few Mabie Todds, and and Onoto....more to come on those later.

Cob
September 14th, 2014, 01:27 PM
So I recently had an issue with a pen I bought from eBay where the seller is in England. If you choose to have the package sent requiring a signature it is around 45.00 american to ship. Unfortunately for me the pen wasn't worth that and I had to just ship it regular mail and hope for the best. Though given the seller and how it has gone so far I'm somewhat expecting an I never got it response regardless of if it makes it back or not.

On a positive note I have acquired a few Mabie Todds, and and Onoto....more to come on those later.

You have been robbed.

If I sold you a pen (I am in England) I would charge you £8.50 (~$14) for signed-for shipping. I charge this amount for any country outside the United Kingdom.

Yes, do tell about those pens! I cannot somehow get around to getting myself an Onoto!

Cob

RuiFromUK
September 14th, 2014, 10:26 PM
I cannot somehow get around to getting myself an Onoto!Cob

If you find one at a great price you should get it. You will need one for the WES course if you are going to attend it. Unfortunately lately I have been finding Onoto pen prices to be repaired beyond my limits.

Cob
September 15th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Yes Rui, Onotos always seem to fetch premium prices - even tatty ones!

Cob

Quantum Sailor
September 16th, 2014, 11:25 AM
I will post my Onoto when it arrives. I paid a bit more than I am comfortable with but the reasoning behind it was valid...or so I think lol. It's already restored though. When I'm not busy tonight I'll post some of the Mabie Todd's I picked up recently. I have the feeling a few are going to be sold but they are nice to mess around with for now.

Quantum Sailor
September 16th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Yes Rui, Onotos always seem to fetch premium prices - even tatty ones!

Cob

That's a completely accurate description lol. There's one I've been watching on eBay that while looks mint, needs restored and started at 300 usd. The seller admittedly sells fountain pens that need restored for prices that meet or exceed restored prices but still...

Quantum Sailor
September 18th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Ok so a few days late due to real life getting in the way but here's some Mabie Todd's that I've picked up and a Conway Stewart 388 that's basically mint. The Mabie's came restored but I restored the Conway.