PDA

View Full Version : My "Fully Restored" Skyline (Std) Burgundy

KBeezie
August 16th, 2014, 05:44 PM
So grabbed this "Fully Restored" Skyline for $35 (no shipping since the seller turned out to be local). Which I guess means he restored the original chew marks back onto the pen.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/top.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/bottom.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/uncapped.jpg

For 35, I see it as a good 'starting point' provided the sac, feed and nib are restored/cleaned/working (which they seem to be).

Now I just either need to find a replacement cap, or just the derby style clip, and it'll pretty much be usage grade. Not really finding much in the way of clips.

PS: That pink 'stuff' is teflon tape, other than the clip being missing, the only other issue stated in the listing was that the threads on the upper cap weren't well secured, as such teflon tape was used to secure it. Only issue is, seems that the side of the nib impacts with the side of that inner cap depending on which angle it is put in.

Edit: Fills and writes nicely though. (Oh that's Diamine Syrah btw)

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/write.jpg

Edit #2 :

I just got finished giving the pen a shine job, won't get rid of the scratches completely but it's much shinier and nicer to the touch.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/full.jpg

I also have a cap and clip on the way (ran me $12 including shipping), a green/black striated cap with a clip that I can clean up and polish and either decide to move the clip over, or do a little mixing and matching with a celluloid cap on the burgundy body (but keep the original cap in case I decide to resell).

KBeezie
August 19th, 2014, 04:00 PM
And bumping with an update regarding cap replacement.

I Received a cap today I got off ebay (for $15... why not). I was originally just going to move the clip over to the burgundy cap, but this cap fits on and screws on much better (the inner cap doesn't collide with the sides of the nib like the burgundy cap did). So I got it all soaked, disassembled, cleaned and polished.

Not exactly color coordinated, but it works rather well.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/before_after.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/skyline_burgundy/posted_new_cap.jpg

Jon Szanto
August 19th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Nicely done, and documented. W/E certainly had good plating, as it seems like even some of the ugliest clean up very well.

KBeezie
August 19th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Nicely done, and documented. W/E certainly had good plating, as it seems like even some of the ugliest clean up very well.

I actually asked Sean about that before getting the caps, as he mentioned to me they're pretty heavy on the plating when it comes to the clip, though the actual clip itself is rather thin and soft, so have to be careful not to crack it when removing it.

Jon Szanto
August 19th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty excited to see the new W/E pens this weekend in SF, and I've pretty much promised Syd I'm going to purchase one of the 100 Year Anniversary Skylines. He is a wealth of information on the company and I'm taking a couple of older Skys to ask some questions. I hope you saw the vid that Dan (Tim?) shot with Syd in DC. It's on the FPG home page...

scrivelry
August 19th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I have that same problem of the Derby having possibly shrunk and now contacting the nib on the inside sometimes.

I think I wrapped the shrunken derby thread part in thread, and slapped shellac on, until it seemed ready to behave.

What I am going to do is to borrow a trick Flounder has used on other things, wrap a bit of sandpaper around a dowel and sand the inside of the part that has shrunk, so that it is less likely to hold up the nib.

It works now, but would be a lot less annoying if the inner thing a ma jig was less shaggy.

Jon Szanto
August 19th, 2014, 06:38 PM
It works now, but would be a lot less annoying if the inner thing a ma jig was less shaggy.

I always get confused when the restoration people start using all the technical jargon in their descriptions.

:)

KBeezie
August 19th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I'm pretty excited to see the new W/E pens this weekend in SF, and I've pretty much promised Syd I'm going to purchase one of the 100 Year Anniversary Skylines. He is a wealth of information on the company and I'm taking a couple of older Skys to ask some questions. I hope you saw the vid that Dan (Tim?) shot with Syd in DC. It's on the FPG home page...

:P Cool, but those are quite a bit over my price range.

The skyscraper one looks cool, even if it may a bit too "blingy" (for lack of a better word) for my everyday taste.

Jon Szanto
August 19th, 2014, 06:58 PM

Not something I'd do on a regular basis, believe me. The top of the line are too bling for me, too, but I've been pestering Syd since before he had any pens made for the public. I saw a lot of them with him in LA, and it just seemed the right time. I'll sell some stuff after the show to make up for it, and - TBH - it is a bit of a reward for a rough few months.

KBeezie
August 19th, 2014, 07:57 PM

Not something I'd do on a regular basis, believe me. The top of the line are too bling for me, too, but I've been pestering Syd since before he had any pens made for the public. I saw a lot of them with him in LA, and it just seemed the right time. I'll sell some stuff after the show to make up for it, and - TBH - it is a bit of a reward for a rough few months.

Course come to think of it, if I were to sell 3 or 4 of my pens I *could* do it... but then in that line of thinking... is it worth it? :D

Jon Szanto
August 19th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Course come to think of it, if I were to sell 3 or 4 of my pens I *could* do it... but then in that line of thinking... is it worth it? :D

Of course it is. Or, more properly put, it can be - and that depends on the individual. Me? I'm wanting fewer pens that I enjoy more, because, in four years time, I now find myself with more pens than I have any reason to retain.

I've expanded, and now I'm contracting. Just a shift in my motivations and interests.

KBeezie
August 19th, 2014, 08:17 PM

Of course it is. Or, more properly put, it can be - and that depends on the individual. Me? I'm wanting fewer pens that I enjoy more, because, in four years time, I now find myself with more pens than I have any reason to retain.

I've expanded, and now I'm contracting. Just a shift in my motivations and interests.

Course for me, the pens I do have, I kind of know the brand, I know the expectations etc. With Eversharp, I only have this standard and a demi skyline, I've never used any other Wahl or Eversharp pen before, so it's pretty much unknown territory for me.

ac12
August 28th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Wow that cap cleaned up really well.
Your pen looks the opposite of mine. I have a blue pen with a dark red striped cap.

KBeezie
August 29th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Wow that cap cleaned up really well.
Your pen looks the opposite of mine. I have a blue pen with a dark red striped cap.

LoL Wanna Trade caps? lol.