PDA

View Full Version : Pen advice

OilPatch
August 17th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Hello all,
I'm a newbie to the forum, and I've only been using fountain pens for about 8 months. I currently own a TWSBI 580 with both a broad and fine nib, and I own 2 Lamy Al-Stars with an extra fine nibs. I was recently planning on pulling the trigger on this:

https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/visconti-opera-blue-typhoon-limited-edition-fountain-pen/

...but I watched the review video from Dan and it gets blasted pretty hard. I was curious if anybody had some recommendations on pens at a similar price point and with a fine or extra fine nib?

DrChumley
August 17th, 2014, 04:34 PM
You know, I'm just ape about the Visconti Salvador Dali and Van Gogh pens. (A couple of the new Michelangelo pens are also looking pretty fantastic, too.) You may also want to look at some Omas pens (Like the Bologna). If you look pre-owned, you may also find a few other Visconti pens that are worth grabbing. And the Montegrappa Espressione is a nice-looking pen (it wasn't the right fit for my hand, but I wish it had been).

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with!

OilPatch
August 17th, 2014, 04:52 PM
thanks for the advice, other than ebay do you know of some reputable places that sell used online?

Silverbreeze
August 17th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Here, no I am not joking. I rather buy from a member if I am buying used

OilPatch
August 17th, 2014, 07:27 PM
I might have jumped the gun, but I pulled the trigger on the group buy and ordered an Edison ebonite

cwent2
August 17th, 2014, 08:23 PM
IMHO an Edison pen is a good value and I believe you will be happy with your choice.

VertOlive
August 17th, 2014, 09:54 PM
I might have jumped the gun, but I pulled the trigger on the group buy and ordered an Edison ebonite

You won't be disappointed in an Edison, congrats!

Silverbreeze
August 18th, 2014, 06:49 AM

Edison is never a bad idea. As pretty as a Visconti can be. There is a feeling of community with an Edison that no big name pen maker can match

Plus you open your world to Richard Binder's speciality nibs, without shelling out for a pen just to try a new nib!

Can you tell I am into speciality nibs :-)

Tom

OilPatch
August 18th, 2014, 05:51 PM
thanks everybody, and Silverbreeze thanks for the info on the speciality nibs, I will look into them.

HughC
August 18th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I like Caran D'Ache in the modern pens, just well made with excellent nibs. The Sheaffer Legacy is also worth a look, it's a great pen and easily overlooked.

Regards
Hugh