PDA

View Full Version : Hello from North of Chicago

Inner Prop
August 20th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Brand new here.

I'm from Chicago, but work and family have exiled me to the far northern suburbs.

I started with a Pilot Varsity
Got a Boaer (what's the nib size?)
Then got a Lamy AL Star for Christmas w/ Lamy blue cartridges
Just bought a Zebra V-301, black, but had to give that to my daughter
I got a sample pack of blue from Goulet Pens and a sampler of 54th Mass. I haven't finished using the American Blue yet.

I'm involved with Boy Scouts of America and Girl Scouts of USA. I like to write fiction, play Rugby and play ukulele. My BA is in Anthropology and I try to stay abreast of everything Archaeological as best I can since my work has nothing to do with it.

I have two daughters in college and I've started a letter writing effort with them (I've sent the first letter with a SASE enclosed).

I would like to collect fountain pens made or mostly made in USA, but I'd also like representatives of each of the major brands.

I use my FP every day at work. I take notes on letter sized paper in meetings and then save them in binders and/or scan them. I also journal in a Piccadilly grid notebook (not so good for FP).

I'd like to know (among other things):
- Good, cheap letter sized paper for taking notes at work
- Good, cheap paper for writing letters
- Best lap desk
- As much as I can about pens made in the USA, now and earlier (if I can narrow it down to Illinois or even Chicago that'd be great)

Jeph
August 20th, 2014, 07:10 AM
:welcome: Sometimes you can find some nice pens at the Volo Antique Mall just down the road from you.
Mostly they are just junk, but every now and then...

writingrav
August 20th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

Frank
August 22nd, 2014, 10:34 PM
:welcome:

caribbean_skye
August 23rd, 2014, 05:49 AM
welcome welcome. my mother wrote to me when i was in uni and i loved getting her letters. hopefully they too will enjoy your letters and will write back

Sailor Kenshin
August 23rd, 2014, 12:05 PM
Brand new here.

I'm from Chicago, but work and family have exiled me to the far northern suburbs.

I started with a Pilot Varsity
Got a Boaer (what's the nib size?)
Then got a Lamy AL Star for Christmas w/ Lamy blue cartridges
Just bought a Zebra V-301, black, but had to give that to my daughter
I got a sample pack of blue from Goulet Pens and a sampler of 54th Mass. I haven't finished using the American Blue yet.

I'm involved with Boy Scouts of America and Girl Scouts of USA. I like to write fiction, play Rugby and play ukulele. My BA is in Anthropology and I try to stay abreast of everything Archaeological as best I can since my work has nothing to do with it.

I have two daughters in college and I've started a letter writing effort with them (I've sent the first letter with a SASE enclosed).

I would like to collect fountain pens made or mostly made in USA, but I'd also like representatives of each of the major brands.

I use my FP every day at work. I take notes on letter sized paper in meetings and then save them in binders and/or scan them. I also journal in a Piccadilly grid notebook (not so good for FP).

I'd like to know (among other things):
- Good, cheap letter sized paper for taking notes at work
- Good, cheap paper for writing letters
- Best lap desk
- As much as I can about pens made in the USA, now and earlier (if I can narrow it down to Illinois or even Chicago that'd be great)

I'm going to recommend Staples Bagasse, IF you can find it and consider it cheap. Ampad used to make good paper but it's hard to find now.

Mead quality varies. Welcome aboard!

Mags
August 23rd, 2014, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Inner Prop
August 26th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will try your recommendations.

VertOlive
August 27th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Hi from across The Lake--welcome!

Quantum Sailor
August 27th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the forums

TerraNoir
August 28th, 2014, 08:16 PM
:welcome: From...well South of you!!

Inner Prop
August 29th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Hi from across The Lake--welcome!
Thank you Green Olive. What is "Sherlocked?" Does your signature mean, "Here there be dogs?" Is your avatar a picture of you?

southpaw52
August 30th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Hello and welcome fellow fp geek.