PDA

View Full Version : Some more Stipula eye candy

peterpen53
June 24th, 2012, 10:30 AM
This is undoubtedly triggered by Ian's new Etruria Tuscan Dreams, but when I was reshuffling my pens to their new storage, I came across my own Etruria, a 991 LE, that sees far too little exercise these days. It has a lovely broad nib, however, and I think the new cases will make it much easier to rotate my pens. It is one of those pens that make catching the colors a frustrating exercise, but especially the picture of it uncapped does a fairly good job. So, not to be outdone...:)

684 685

Cheers,
Peter

ianmedium
June 24th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Oh my goodness Peter, what a beautiful pen! It is so art deco, I love it! Can you tell us more about it please? Is it celluloid, piston or CC and such. I really am taken with this one, the colour combination is outstanding!

KrazyIvan
June 24th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Very cool looking pen.

peterpen53
June 25th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Thanks, guys.

@ Ian: Don't tell me you like it more than your own? :)

The material is celluloid and the furniture is silver, I even had to polish the clip before taking the picture. It was a commemorative limited edition to celebrate the first twenty years of the Etruria range, 991 pieces. I think it would take some effort to still get one. Since I got it at a pen show with some but not all papers, I'm not quite sure of the filling system and I never really bothered to look for it. It does feel like a piston, but could be one of those captured converters, since the piston knob does not extend from the body when turned. But if you give a shout at wimg at FPN, I'm sure he can give you all the details you want and then some.
The colors of this pen are really something, and they are different from every angle and change with the light.

Cheers,
Peter

Edit: those twenty years should be ten. Stipula started making the Etruria in 1991 (hence the 991 pieces) and the 991 Limited Edition was released in 2001.

KrazyIvan
June 25th, 2012, 09:21 AM
The pen sort of reminds me of my Bexley BX-802. Sort of. :D

peterpen53
June 25th, 2012, 03:06 PM
The pen sort of reminds me of my Bexley BX-802. Sort of. :D

In different colors, yes, I can see that.

Bogon07
June 25th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Hmmm nice pen. The colours work well together.
Neat photo, it looks very artistic especially the blue ink splat.

ianmedium
June 25th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Peter, no, I think equally! It really is a beautiful pen, I hope you have it inked up and are writing with it!

peterpen53
June 26th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Hmmm nice pen. The colours work well together.
Neat photo, it looks very artistic especially the blue ink splat.

Thanks, and it is not an attempt at being artistic at all! Don't even remind me of the enormous red splat that I have always managed to avoid so far!:)

peterpen53
June 26th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Peter, no, I think equally! It really is a beautiful pen, I hope you have it inked up and are writing with it!

I will be shortly. I will rotate most of my inked pens later this week (too many inked pens, really!).

Edit: you made me curious and I checked the papers I have. It is in fact a captured converter pen and supposedly you could replace it with a cartridge. However, I cannot get it out as per instructions and I obviously don't want to damage the pen. And I prefer bottled ink. :)
I never knew you could unscrew the section from the barrel of that pen. Still learning something every day!

Cheers,
Peter

ianmedium
June 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I have never heard of a captured converter? That is a new one for me! I can't wait for my first pen case to arrive so I can carry around more pens on a daily basis. I got a four pen pouch which according to the maker can easily handle pens the girth of the 149.
I think initially I will carry the Stipula, the two Mont Blanc's and either the Sheaffer or Montegrappa. Will keep the 51 in the pen slot in my courier bag as per usual, that one is a great one to have handy for ball point types of jobs where I need to make a note quickly or jot down a phone number

dannzeman
June 26th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I love this kind of competitiveness! Great pics, btw.

peterpen53
June 27th, 2012, 02:45 AM
I have never heard of a captured converter? That is a new one for me!

To be honest they are a mystery to me as well. I don't get their purpose or advantage over a common converter or straight piston.

peterpen53
June 27th, 2012, 02:46 AM
I love this kind of competitiveness! Great pics, btw.

Thanks, Dan. But this is not a competition. We like to share, you know :).

snedwos
June 27th, 2012, 04:57 AM
To be honest they are a mystery to me as well. I don't get their purpose or advantage over a common converter or straight piston.
I guess it's cheaper to make than a piston filler, as you don't have to design anything, just build the pen around parts that are already there. And users can pretend it's a real piston filler. Or use cartridges if they *really* want to (can't fathom why myself).

KrazyIvan
June 27th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I can see the advantage of easier cleaning than a piston filler.

peterpen53
June 28th, 2012, 04:41 AM
I can see the advantage of easier cleaning than a piston filler.

With respect to the nib and section, yes. But if I can't get it out I can't clean the converter any better than a piston.

peterpen53
July 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM
By sheer coincidence I found this post http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/204879-omas-ogiva-guiiloch/page__view__findpost__p__2110836 on FPN, explaining the innards of the Etruria 991, except that here it's called a hidden converter. It appears to be a self-contained piston system that precludes the ink from touching the barrel. Kudos to Ivan for his comment on the easier cleaning.

KrazyIvan
July 4th, 2012, 01:23 PM
That is so cool. I wish TWSBI would take note and do something like this for the Micarta. Of course, that would mean a $200-$300 or more Micarta that will make the community scream. :D

fountainpenkid
July 5th, 2012, 06:37 PM
That is so cool. I wish TWSBI would take note and do something like this for the Micarta. Of course, that would mean a $200-$300 or more Micarta that will make the community scream. :D
why so? I know, I'm way to adamant about them putting a piston in that baby ;)

KrazyIvan
July 6th, 2012, 10:23 AM
why so? I know, I'm way to adamant about them putting a piston in that baby ;)

Because everyone a lot of people complained when TWSBI moved beyond the 540 price point.