PDA

View Full Version : My new pen cases

peterpen53
June 24th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I don't have a nice brother like Ivan does. In fact I don't have any siblings at all. So what do you do when you want some nice new storage for your pens? Well, you order a couple of pen cases from Geoff Morris at pencase.co.uk. Yes, FPGeeks, you cost me again!
I ordered one 5-drawer and one 4-drawer case that gives me space for 70 pens and a few in the half-slots at the sides as well as some space for small things like cartridges etc. and a larger drawer for ink, although this seems to fill up rather quickly, unless you only use ink in the same type of square bottles, like Diamine or Noodler's. And the 70 pens are a nice, though currently futile, limitation target. I decided on some conservative felt colors, because of all the differently colored pens I have, but if you like you can go crazy and choose a different color for every drawer.
So I ordered on Tuesday 12 June, Geoff started construction on Thursday 14th, and the cases arrived last Thursday after barely two days in transit. Now, unpacking a package from Geoff is not for the faint of heart. I would suggest to practice beforehand on at least two shipments from the Goulets. Apparently they all took their packing classes at the same school. So I was treated to triple cardboard boxes, double bubble wrap and for each case about a week's worth of old genuine British newspapers as extra padding. Needless to say, the cases arrived in spotless condition, they are solidly built and fit and finish are excellent. A very nice touch, which I did not see mentioned anywhere, is that the bottom is fully covered with black felt, so no need to worry about damaging the surface they stand on. Also, the drawers are certainly not airtight, which might be of interest for those collecting pens that need some air but no light, like celluloid or ebonite.
The drawers are 15 cm deep and take my largest pens with ease. Unless you are the lucky owner of a Delta Roma Imperiale (which I'm not) you should be okay.
If you would like some well-made, reasonably priced pen storage paired with an easy-going buying experience I can only recommend Geoff's products. And since you will all be screaming for pictures, here goes:

686 687 688 689

I've had to 'experiment' a bit with the lighting and the third one is with flash, but the colors of the cases and felt are fairly accurate.

Cheers,
Peter

geoduc
June 24th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Those cases are really nice, congratulations!

Bogon07
June 24th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Peterpen53, those are really nice looking pen cases. The colour looks marvellous. That was an very quick turn-around from order to construction and delivery.

What is the finish - polish or a type of varnish ?

ianmedium
June 24th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I really like those Peter. I think when I move back to the UK I will get one, really great workmanship on them.

KrazyIvan
June 24th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Wow, very nice! Do you want a sibling? :D

melissa59
June 24th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Very nice. If someone in the U.S. decided to build boxes like this they'd get quite a few customers, I think.
Loved the comment about Geoff and the Goulets taking wrapping classes from the same school. LOL

Ivan, are you trying to give away your brother? If he gets wind of that I think he might take back that cool pen case he gave you!

snedwos
June 25th, 2012, 02:47 AM
I think Ivan wants Peter for a brother. What better way to support a pen collecting habit than by collecting siblings who give you cool stuff?

peterpen53
June 25th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Thanks, all. I really enjoyed writing this.

Peterpen53, those are really nice looking pen cases. The colour looks marvellous. That was an very quick turn-around from order to construction and delivery.

What is the finish - polish or a type of varnish ?

I presume Geoff pre-fabricates some parts, so he is able to assemble the cases themselves fairly quickly, and if there had not been a weekend I think I would have gotten them within a working week. But I am fairly close to the UK, which cuts the transit time.
I think it would be polish because I do not sense an extra layer you would usually get from varnish. But if I open the drawers after being closed for a while they still seem to stick a little bit.

I really like those Peter. I think when I move back to the UK I will get one, really great workmanship on them.

You are moving back to the UK? ... From CANADA? :confused:

Seriously, Ian, if you want a pen case I think you would be hard-pressed to find any better at the same reasonable price. Geoff appears to be a good craftsman and he is very nice to work with.

Wow, very nice! Do you want a sibling? :D

Nah, I think I'm a bit too settled in my ways, but thanks for the offer, Ian. :)

Cheers,
Peter

ianmedium
June 25th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah Peter, done what I set out to do here and I am missing the history and culture that is in Europe, not that there is not culture here, it's just different!
But where I am in Vancouver there really is nothing old. Their idea of preserving an old building here is to keep the facade and the rest goes. I have always loved history and travelled and lived throughout Europe and to be able to lean against a 500 year old building and feel the history when you look around is something I miss greatly, I know it probably sounds silly but there it is.

My life has always been motivated by experiences that affect the heart more rather than the wallet!

KrazyIvan
June 25th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Seriously though, I have been wanting one of those cases since they first appeared on FPN. I know they are a very good deal shipping is keeping me from jumping in with both feet.

ArtJourney
June 25th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Very nice. I like the four drawer version. Did you have to special order that as I cannot see details I'd it on the website?

peterpen53
June 25th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Very nice. I like the four drawer version. Did you have to special order that as I cannot see details I'd it on the website?

Indeed it's not on the website, but a few weeks ago Dan ran it as a news item here on FPGeeks and it would be a limited time special offer. However Geoff is considering making it a standard item, since demand for it is apparently high. Just mail him and ask, Geoff is very pleasant to deal with.

peterpen53
June 25th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Seriously though, I have been wanting one of those cases since they first appeared on FPN. I know they are a very good deal shipping is keeping me from jumping in with both feet.

I would suggest you just ask him for a quote. His shipping costs did not shock me and two cases were a much better deal than one, relatively speaking. Maybe you could find someone, who would join you on an order. And as was suggested, if his shipping quote is off in your favor, he will reimburse the difference (and the other way around, of course).
And sorry for mistyping your name above, but Ivan and Ian are really very close.

peterpen53
June 25th, 2012, 03:03 PM
My life has always been motivated by experiences that affect the heart more rather than the wallet!

I was in fact aiming at the very experiences you mean. My only experience with Canada 'live' has been 5 days in Vancouver, in fact Richmond to be precise, and I think I would agree with you. However, when I think of Canada, I think of the immense spaces this country offers, and its unending natural beauty, that, admittedly, I have only seen on pictures and in films.

KrazyIvan
June 25th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I would suggest you just ask him for a quote. His shipping costs did not shock me and two cases were a much better deal than one, relatively speaking. Maybe you could find someone, who would join you on an order. And as was suggested, if his shipping quote is off in your favor, he will reimburse the difference (and the other way around, of course).
And sorry for mistyping your name above, but Ivan and Ian are really very close.

No sweat on the name. I have been called worse. :p

goldiesdad
June 25th, 2012, 07:14 PM
That is one nice pen case .... Congrats ....

ianmedium
June 25th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I was in fact aiming at the very experiences you mean. My only experience with Canada 'live' has been 5 days in Vancouver, in fact Richmond to be precise, and I think I would agree with you. However, when I think of Canada, I think of the immense spaces this country offers, and its unending natural beauty, that, admittedly, I have only seen on pictures and in films.

I am in Vancouver, about 20 minutes drive from Richmond. I am the same as you, the cities do not do a great deal for me but get me in the Rockies and that is a very different story! I spend every christmas and new year in Banff, have done for a number of years now and I love it. I know this is an OT photo but here is one from last year!
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1000477.jpg

peterpen53
June 26th, 2012, 12:15 AM
That is one nice pen case .... Congrats ....

Thanks. The more I see them, the more I like them.

I am in Vancouver, about 20 minutes drive from Richmond. I am the same as you, the cities do not do a great deal for me but get me in the Rockies and that is a very different story! I spend every christmas and new year in Banff, have done for a number of years now and I love it. I know this is an OT photo but here is one from last year!

This is exactly what I mean!