PDA

View Full Version : DC Pen Show videos and request for feedback

dannzeman
August 22nd, 2014, 10:01 AM
After the DC Pen Show I published 7 videos featuring a different vendor in each one. They include Edelberg, Franklin-Christoph, Ryan Krusac, RiKwill, Chatterley Luxuries, Sarj Minhas, and Wahl-Eversharp. I was going to do one about Andreas Lambrou but the sdcard from my recorder was corrupted, which was a huge bummer because Andy is such an interesting person I really wanted to share him and his creations with everyone.

Anyway, the reason for this post is mostly to get feedback on these videos. Did you find them interesting? Useful? Boring? If you think they suck, that's great, just please explain why. Otherwise I don't learn anything from your feedback. I've embedded one of the videos below, but you can find the playlist here (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL35BC728F8BB41338).

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds!

http://youtu.be/SmpRWnE8sfw?list=PL35BC728F8BB41338

rgperedo
August 22nd, 2014, 10:37 AM
I thought all of the videos were great. It's nice to put a face on a brand in a way, you get to understand who is behind some of these pens we all look into buying and collecting. I was also happy to get information on companies I haven't looked into much, which now sparks an interest in said companies. Thank you.

tandaina
August 22nd, 2014, 10:51 AM
I only watched a couple, but they were good. Well produced and the folks interviewed were interesting enough.

I'd have been *more* interested however in hearing from some of the nib miesters who were there, talking about what they do, about nibs, etc. Maybe a video or two focusing on some new pens or similar? Maybe talk to someone about the making of ink? Not a criticism of the current videos, more just things that I'd be interested in hearing.

cwent2
August 22nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
The videos came out very well - enjoyed them.

Thanks

sharmon202
August 22nd, 2014, 02:25 PM
I agree. While the videos I watched were very good these ideas would be great additions. Not instructional but informative.

I only watched a couple, but they were good. Well produced and the folks interviewed were interesting enough.

I'd have been *more* interested however in hearing from some of the nib miesters who were there, talking about what they do, about nibs, etc. Maybe a video or two focusing on some new pens or similar? Maybe talk to someone about the making of ink? Not a criticism of the current videos, more just things that I'd be interested in hearing.

DrChumley
August 22nd, 2014, 03:36 PM
The quality of the video and audio was great from a technical standpoint.

Most of the videos I really enjoyed, and found informational. A couple of the videos felt a little...for lack of a better term...salesman-y. Personally, I'm not all that interesting in the company's philosophy or the design inspirations. I want to see the pens, how they fit in the hand, the features, that sort of thing. There was a lot of that in most of the videos, and I got to see a lot of pens I haven't seen yet. (Even got a couple of ideas of things I want to try.)

I, too, would love to see the nibmeisters at work...but mainly because I find the process so fascinating. (And I'm always looking to pick up hints.)

writingrav
August 22nd, 2014, 04:39 PM
The quality of the video and audio was great from a technical standpoint.

Most of the videos I really enjoyed, and found informational. A couple of the videos felt a little...for lack of a better term...salesman-y. Personally, I'm not all that interesting in the company's philosophy or the design inspirations. I want to see the pens, how they fit in the hand, the features, that sort of thing. There was a lot of that in most of the videos, and I got to see a lot of pens I haven't seen yet. (Even got a couple of ideas of things I want to try.)

I, too, would love to see the nibmeisters at work...but mainly because I find the process so fascinating. (And I'm always looking to pick up hints.)
I thought they were great. Really professional and I did find different company philosophy interesting. That said some nibmeisters is a great idea and maybe a regular geek attending the show.

Tracy Lee
August 22nd, 2014, 05:00 PM
Dan, I have enjoyed the videos immensely. I imagine part was being there and seeing you film some of them, but I appreciate understanding a company's genesis because it adds to the draw for me, and helps me consider brands I haven't before. Like Franklin - Christoph, for example. I need to spend more time at their table after understanding more about who they are and what they offer (not to mention using that HUGE music nib at our geek out session) . A video with Andy Lambrou would have been fantastic. I love his pens, but he is such a large part of the buying experience of them. You can't understand until you listen to him for a bit, how he thinks about what he designs and how that all comes to fruition. Collectively, listening to what drives the desire to create what they do appeals to a part of me that lacks that ability but appreciates it so much in others. The business side is also appealing to the lawyer I cart around but usually try to leave behind when not at work. So thank you for doing them. Nibmeisters would be good too I'm sure. I am not sure in a video you could see enough to appreciate the work they do, but their perspectives on what they do and how to talk about and determine what you want/need might be useful. Just my own perspective.

Mags
August 22nd, 2014, 07:28 PM
I found the videos informative and technically professional. The length of 3-10 minutes gives a person the time to learn about product and some of the interesting facts on the pens design and construction. I rather enjoyed the Franklin-Christoph video as he explained how the caps and barrels were all precision made and how parts are fit together.

I think on behalf of all of us on the forum a huge thank you to you Dan. You took time away from your own family to film these and it was appreciated. You have the ability to ask questions and get people to talk. I tried to learn more about F-C in person but I found Scott too busy to sit and talk with me like we see him on the video.

I would have liked a few more of the vendors on video and a demo of how to negotiate a price with offending someone. The art of negotiation is foreign to consumers in the age of fixed prices on the internet and in physical chain stores.

00Photo
August 22nd, 2014, 07:29 PM
I loved the videos. You can't avoid the salesmanship aspect at a pen show. I might try to sneak in a trick question like "What pen is on your pocket RIGHT NOW!?!?!" and have them whip out what they use. It would be funny to have Krusac whip out an Edison or vice versa.

Mags
August 22nd, 2014, 08:07 PM
I loved the videos. You can't avoid the salesmanship aspect at a pen show. I might try to sneak in a trick question like "What pen is on your pocket RIGHT NOW!?!?!" and have them whip out what they use. It would be funny to have Krusak whip out an Edison or vice versa.

I noticed that a number of vendors did not have pens in their pockets. I like the suggestion 00Photo.

dannzeman
August 22nd, 2014, 08:13 PM
I loved the videos. You can't avoid the salesmanship aspect at a pen show. I might try to sneak in a trick question like "What pen is on your pocket RIGHT NOW!?!?!" and have them whip out what they use. It would be funny to have Krusak whip out an Edison or vice versa.

That could be a whole feature unto itself! I like it!

dannzeman
August 22nd, 2014, 08:14 PM
I really appreciate the feedback, everyone. I'll be making notes for the next show!

orfew
August 22nd, 2014, 08:47 PM
Great videos. They offer a great source of information to those of us who have never been to a pen show.

da vinci
August 23rd, 2014, 02:38 AM
I thought the videos I watched were really good. Its unlikely I will ever get to meet people like Bryant (despite several purchases :) ) so getting to see him so to speak, and observe his passion for pens was great. I really liked the new products part - i want to know whats in the pipeline to help create informed purchases and know what the classics of the future are. What are the big sellers?

I would enjoy a video from the gentleman who makes the Hakumin urushi pens.

Edited to add the F-C video is excellent!

Jeph
August 23rd, 2014, 05:42 AM
I enjoyed the videos as it gave me the feeling of being there without being able to make the trip.

I agree on the sales aspect, but that is their job. They would be fools not to incorporate that into their presentation.

One good part is that I got to see pens that at a real show I would not waste my time looking at as they are out of my price range.

I particularly liked the Franklin-Christoph and Sarj videos. They are both clearly FP Geeks and it shows. I liked the F-C video so much that I just ordered their 20 pen case. I already have one of their pens and one of their penvelopes (from Dan no less!) and know what good quality they are. And I am going to make a beeline to Sarj if I can find him at the London pen show.

I also agree that it is nice to see the faces behind the names. That is a nice personal touch. I never realized that our “Wahlnut” was the actual owner of the company!

I also liked that the videos were long enough to be informative yet short enough not to put me to sleep.

Nibmeister videos could be an entire thing unto itself. I doubt that we will glean that extra little secret from watching them that most of us crave, but seeing it happen is still pure awesomeness.

ethernautrix
August 24th, 2014, 09:09 AM
I only watched the video in the OP (and opened in the playlist in another window). I liked this first video, especially the explanation of how even the bands are made from rods and how that contributes to the stability of the pen itself.

Nice job!

P.S. The suggestion to ask what pen(s) the vendor is carrying for use is good, too.