PDA

View Full Version : Midland Pen Show - Some Pics for Eric!

ArtJourney
June 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM
So I went along today to the Midland Pen Show in Lichfield (thats in the UK!) and took a few photos at Eric's request...

First of all... this was my first pen show, so I had no idea what to expect. I was driving down from North Wales to London today and the M6 motorway just happens to pass via Lichfield approx halfway through the journey... I'd be daft not to stop right? Especially when I've heard it mentioned so many times on FP Radio!

So, the day dawned bright and clear and I drove through lovely sunshine, arriving in Lichfield about 1:30pm. As soon as I parked the car, the heavens opened! So it was a mad dash to the Guildhall to try and stay dry!

A warm welcome awaited me on the door as I paid my entrance fee and was given my sticker badge

The inside of the Guildhall where the show was being held was quite impressive with its vaulted ceiling, flags and stained glass window... very old style UK!

First pass round, I spied Eric Wilson and Gary Ellison (least I hope I've got these guys correct!)

..and there was a fair amount of wheeling and dealing taking place on the otherside of the hall.

While the crowds were at one end, I took the opportunity to chat with the very charismatic Alastair from Onoto, who told me the interesting history of Onoto and let me test drive a few of their amazing pens.

Next pass round, I drooled over the Visconti stand, played "Pick a Parker 51" and had a dig through Mark Catley's Bargain Buckets.

ArtJourney
June 24th, 2012, 03:07 PM
It was then I eyed what would become my first purchase on the Worcester Pen Company stand. A gorgeous classic inspired acrylic resin pen hand made in the UK. I was offered a test drive and, not only was the pen smooth, the nib was perfect (on the fine side of medium, just how I like them). It was packed and in my sweaty hands before you could say "Quink!"

I then looked across and saw that Sarj was free and went over to pass on Eric's "hello" message. We had a nice chat and I admired his array of pens. {oh and Eric, Sarj looks forward to seeing you again in DC!}

After one more circuit, it was time for me to take my leave... but not without first snaffling this brand new boxed set of Waterman Kultur demonstrator pens on my way past...

So then I was off, back onto the M6 for the rest of the drive back home to London. I enjoyed this first visit to a pen show and hopefully will be able to attend another soon... and maybe stay a bit longer!

All the snaps I took can be found here:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artjourney/sets/72157630269178714/show/

Bogon07
June 24th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Interesting pics ArtJourney and congratulations on your new Waterman and Worcester pens.

dgator
June 24th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Looks like your 1st pen show was a success. The venue was incredible -- especially the stained glass. Thank you for posting a show report.

writingrav
June 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Terrific! Thanks for the report.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

KrazyIvan
June 24th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Thank you for sharing.

melissa59
June 24th, 2012, 11:53 PM
ArtJourney, I have never attended a pen show so I was thrilled to be able to virtually attend this one with you.

Thank you for the pics and narrative. I don't recall ever hearing of a Worcester, but then I'm new to the fountain pen addiction. All those colors, all those shapes, all those different nibs. I would have been quite overwhelmed in person.

Looks like you did pretty well, though. You even came home with a couple of treasures! Those Waterman's look almost too pretty to ink!

peterpen53
June 25th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Thank you for your report and pictures, AJ. Looks very much like the type of show we have over here in Tilburg, though the venue is not as splendid.
And I had never heard of a Worcester either. Did you buy the one in the close-up picture? Very nice pen, material reminds me of my honey-almond Visconti Kaleido. Are they piston fillers or c/c? Seems quite a hefty pen as well.
And thank God I have never seen Sarj show up at the Tilburg show. I would probably never leave.

Cheers,
Peter

ArtJourney
June 25th, 2012, 03:36 AM
And I had never heard of a Worcester either. Did you buy the one in the close-up picture? Very nice pen, material reminds me of my honey-almond Visconti Kaleido. Are they piston fillers or c/c? Seems quite a hefty pen as well.
<...>
Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter

Yes, the close up picture is the one I purchased... a Regal 55 in Silver Surf(?) I think the pattern was called. It was the pattern & style that attarched me. I did also like the second one in on the main Worcester picture but the seller explained that he had made the Regal 55 pens for smaller, ladies hands and after I wrote with it... well I had to have it! The pen came fitted with a nice converter, seems larger than normal. Will have to ink it it properly later today am just dipping it at the moment!

Regards
Lily (Noticed everyone was calling me ArtJourney as I had never mentioned my name! LOL!)

dfurlano
June 25th, 2012, 07:22 AM
That room was similar in look to the room to where the Baltimore pen show was held!

Looks like a lot of fun. Glad to hear you bought a Worcester pen. Bryan is a great pen maker.

Dan

KrazyIvan
June 25th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I have one of those Waterman Demo pens and the nib is very smooth.

peterpen53
June 26th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Hi Peter

Yes, the close up picture is the one I purchased... a Regal 55 in Silver Surf(?) I think the pattern was called. It was the pattern & style that attarched me. I did also like the second one in on the main Worcester picture but the seller explained that he had made the Regal 55 pens for smaller, ladies hands and after I wrote with it... well I had to have it! The pen came fitted with a nice converter, seems larger than normal. Will have to ink it it properly later today am just dipping it at the moment!

Regards
Lily (Noticed everyone was calling me ArtJourney as I had never mentioned my name! LOL!)

Thanks Lily!
It's hard to make out any difference between the pen on the display picture and your Regal, though the other one does not seem to have the little wheel on the clip. All around a very nice pen!
Just for fun I included a few pictures of my Visconti Kaleido in a similar material Visconti calls honey-almond. It has the big 14K gold nib that they stopped using, unfortunately. One of the best gold nibs ever.

728 729

Cheers,
Peter

ArtJourney
June 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks Lily!
It's hard to make out any difference between the pen on the display picture and your Regal, though the other one does not seem to have the little wheel on the clip. All around a very nice pen!
There isn't much difference, the one I bought (the Regal 55) is slightly smaller, has the wheel on the clip and the colour is like a pearly white, blue, silver swirl with gold fittings. Whereas the one in the picture (The Sentinel) is slightly larger (larger nib too), has chrome fittings and is more cream with coffee swirls.

Just for fun I included a few pictures of my Visconti Kaleido in a similar material Visconti calls honey-almond. It has the big 14K gold nib that they stopped using, unfortunately. One of the best gold nibs ever.

Cheers,
Peter
Gorgeous Pen Peter! The pattern is indeed similar, a lovely colour too. Thanks for sharing this!

ianmedium
June 26th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Thank you Lily, what a great thread. I must go to this one when I move back to the UK, it looks wonderful!

And Peter, holding out eh, what a pen that Visconti is, we need more info!

peterpen53
June 27th, 2012, 03:02 AM
And Peter, holding out eh, what a pen that Visconti is, we need more info!

There is not really that much to tell. It is a variation on the classic Voyager theme, it has a simple converter and it writes like a dream. What more do you want? Oh, and there were six other colors in the Kaleido series, some very vivid.
Speaking of variations on the Voyager theme (getting really off topic here), I saw the Diamond Jubilee pens last week at my local B&M. Though I still think the crown on top of the fountain pen is a nightmare, the materials are very beautiful (is it celluloid?), like semi-transparent.