PDA

View Full Version : I have come for "the MontBlanc people"

SliceofPi
August 22nd, 2014, 09:48 PM
I originally posted this video question in this post (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/8350-I-hope-this-is-the-proper-place-to-post-this). After getting some great info from a few people over there folks suggested that I talk to you all. The following is a video I made concerning a pen I got today 08/22/2014.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v505/Trajen/IMG_0090.mp4

Any information that you may have would be appreciated.

Chi Town
August 22nd, 2014, 11:50 PM
Is it heavy? I have one just like it and it is heavy if it is a fountain pen? It is worth around 575.00 Good Luck!

orfew
August 23rd, 2014, 07:46 AM
Hi, I am by no means an expert on MB, but I do own a few dozen of them. I believe what you have is a Montblanc silver solitaire 144 made in the late 80's. It looks to be in almost unused condition. The 925 on the barrel refers to the silver content; 92.5 % purity of the silver. This makes it possible to call the solver sterling silver. The nib is a bit hard to see but the markings you describe are correct. 18K refers to the gold content. The nib is solid gold. 4810 refers to the height of the Montblanc mountain in meters. The M in a circle also refers to the Montblanc company. The 750 is another reference to the gold content. 750/1000=18K/24K. I have seen this type of feed many times on 144s from the 80's. The section looks right with the gold clutch ring.Be careful with this clutch ring when inking the pen, they have been known to corrode. Make sure to wipe it each time after filling if using the piston converter. The converter looks correct to me. It is the older push in type as opposed to the newer screw in model.

If you are in doubt you could go into a MB boutique or send it to Montblanc to be authenticated. Warning, if you send it in you might be charged a fee for asking them to authenticate the pen. The pen looks genuine to me. You have yourself a very nice writing instrument. Congrats!

SliceofPi
August 23rd, 2014, 11:22 AM
Is it heavy? I have one just like it and it is heavy if it is a fountain pen? It is worth around 575.00 Good Luck!

Heavy is hard for me to gauge. I have a only ever held two fountain pens. It is heavier than my Cross Classic if that helps any. I would say it weights somewhere around the same as a bottle of my wife's nail polish.

Nomdeplume
August 23rd, 2014, 05:48 PM
The only reason I would think it is a knockoff is the fact that it appears to be a slip on cap and not a screw-on?

Nomdeplume
August 23rd, 2014, 05:49 PM
The feed looks like those from the 80's but then it wouldn't say "W Germany" would it?

mmahany
August 23rd, 2014, 06:36 PM
Video was rough quality and I got bored after a few minutes. I can say this with certainty, it's either an extremely good fake (I have seen one before) or it's authentic.

I own the rollerball and ballpoint versions of the exact same pen. I've also owned the fountain pen version that I sold (new old stock) for $1000 on ebay last year, but don't expect to get that much.

The video makes the barrel look tarnished, that's a good thing. That can easily be polished out with a polishing cloth.

Perhaps its arrogance, but I consider myself one of the best Montblanc authenticators on the internet (that is of course self-proclaimed). I see none of the obvious signs most replicas have.

At this point, the only way to absolutely confirm its authenticity is to send it in to Montblanc's Fort Worth, TX service center. Again, it's either an excellent fake or it's the real deal (I'm inclined to say the latter).

Of note: There is one replica (fake) version of this pen that exists that is phenomenally accurate. In fact, it was the best I have ever seen. With that said, it still had flaws that could be noted from pictures alone, but they were ultra-high resolution photos taken witha DSLR camera.

orfew
August 23rd, 2014, 09:21 PM
The only reason I would think it is a knockoff is the fact that it appears to be a slip on cap and not a screw-on?

All 144s with the exception of the 50s piston filler had a slip on cap.

SliceofPi
August 23rd, 2014, 09:55 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I have no desire to sell the pen. My request for information about it is simply to have the story to tell. With that said I do want to use it if it is usable and I would like to clean it. Could someone direct me to a thread for the proper maintenance and cleaning of the pen? I'd hate to use something on it that would destroy it.

Chrissy
August 25th, 2014, 03:38 PM

All 144s with the exception of the 50s piston filler had a slip on cap.

Orfew is correct. The Classique 144 had a push on cap. The Classic 145 has a screw on cap. No band next to the nib.

GING GING
September 10th, 2014, 07:08 PM
The thing that confuses me is he said the nib had an M on it. But there was a fine sticker on the body

orfew
September 10th, 2014, 07:27 PM
The thing that confuses me is he said the nib had an M on it. But there was a fine sticker on the body
The M on the nib is for Montblanc. MB does not mark the nib size on the nib.

GING GING
September 10th, 2014, 07:30 PM
The M on the nib is for Montblanc. MB does not mark the nib size on the nib.

Thanx, egg on my face.