PDA

View Full Version : And then there were nine

JustDaveyB
June 25th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Arriving in the mail today is my ninth Pelikan M620, the Chicago, it is 2nd from the left in the first image.

Images of the nine

ianmedium
June 25th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I have a friend here in my local pen club that would be stalking you if he were in Auz! He has mentioned that particular pen on a regular basis, I have not seen it till now, now I know why! For those of us not in the know could you say what the other ones are please. I especially like the first one on the top row next to the Chicago! They all look beautiful though! Can't wait to see better shots of the Chicago!

KrazyIvan
June 25th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Which one is the far left pen? I recently saw a a vintage Croxley that looks very similar and was smitten by it. :D

JustDaveyB
June 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Which one is the far left pen? I recently saw a a vintage Croxley that looks very similar and was smitten by it. :D

Madrid

first image left to right

Madrid
Chicago
Stockholm
Place de la Concorde
Grand Place
New York
Piazza Navona
Piccadilly Circus
Shanghai

Bogon07
June 25th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Congratulations JustDaveyB, that must leave only three to go Athens, Berlin, & SanFrancisco ?

It is very inspiring to see them massed like that. I like how you've alternated the gold and silver Pelikan logos on the caps.

If you get another one you could celebrate and go to one of those fancy nail studios and have each fingernail done up to look like each one of your pens. :wink: I'd send Mrs Bogon but she did not enjoy her last trip to one.

JustDaveyB
June 25th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Congratulations JustDaveyB, that must leave only three to go Athens, Berlin, & SanFrancisco ?

It is very inspiring to see them massed like that. I like how you've alternated the gold and silver Pelikan logos on the caps.

If you get another one you could celebrate and go to one of those fancy nail studios and have each fingernail done up to look like each one of your pens. :wink: I'd send Mrs Bogon but she did not enjoy her last trip to one.

Yes the ones hardest to find. I haven't seen a San Francisco for sale since I started collecting the M620s.

Pure fluke there but they are out of chronological order as the New york is older that the others beside them (2 chicks vers 1 chick).

Thats funny - I could do that now as I own two other M600 pens - I could include my Green o'Green to make up the ten or maybe the classic black/green striated look would be better! I doubt if my wife would go for that as she still can't get past the pure cost of this collection of pens. I said thats nothing, I am going to collect Montblanc Writers Series pens next... After goggling MB writers series FP she next looked up the contact details for a solicitor friend of ours that handles family law and divorces...

Bogon07
June 25th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Good luck with that solicitor ........

I was just looking at those three pen and some other Pelikans at nibs.com: I like the stories they have about the pens.

SanFrancisco has a nice type of tortoise shell appearance. A very attractive pen.
Athens looks like a puple or violet version of the Shanghai from the photos Could be some around this being an Olympics year which would probably help bump up the price.
Berlin seems a bit like the Madrid or Chicago with green instead of red or grey.

peterpen53
June 26th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Yes the ones hardest to find. I haven't seen a San Francisco for sale since I started collecting the M620s.

Pure fluke there but they are out of chronological order as the New york is older that the others beside them (2 chicks vers 1 chick).

Thats funny - I could do that now as I own two other M600 pens - I could include my Green o'Green to make up the ten or maybe the classic black/green striated look would be better! I doubt if my wife would go for that as she still can't get past the pure cost of this collection of pens. I said thats nothing, I am going to collect Montblanc Writers Series pens next... After goggling MB writers series FP she next looked up the contact details for a solicitor friend of ours that handles family law and divorces...

Did she happen on the Hemingway first?:)

Good luck with the San Francisco. I hear it's very hard to get.

ianmedium
June 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Madrid it is then, it reminds me of old Conway Stewart's , beautiful collection, it sound like the San Fran one would be a stunning looker as well!

dannzeman
June 29th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Wow, all of 'em are amazing! Very nice. Very nice, indeed.

fountainpenkid
July 1st, 2012, 05:02 AM
Very pretty. This really makes me realize why people love to collect a full series of pens!

melissa59
July 1st, 2012, 05:32 PM
I doubt if my wife would go for that as she still can't get past the pure cost of this collection of pens. I said thats nothing, I am going to collect Montblanc Writers Series pens next... After goggling MB writers series FP she next looked up the contact details for a solicitor friend of ours that handles family law and divorces...

I need your wife's email address. I want to tell her to wait until AFTER you've purchased the writer's series. That way, when she does file for divorce she can leave with half the collection. :-)

Bogon07
July 19th, 2012, 07:17 PM
How is your quest of the last three going ?

I'm looking forward to your group shot of all twelve someday soon.

writingrav
July 19th, 2012, 08:15 PM
That is just a stunning collection.Congratulations!

JustDaveyB
July 20th, 2012, 05:06 PM
How is your quest of the last three going ?

I'm looking forward to your group shot of all twelve someday soon.

I have my grail pen (the M620 San Francisco) on the way to me at the moment - paid an absolute fortune for it but it is in mint condition. I can wait for a good price for the last two.

peterpen53
July 21st, 2012, 04:51 AM
I have my grail pen (the M620 San Francisco) on the way to me at the moment - paid an absolute fortune for it but it is in mint condition. I can wait for a good price for the last two.

Wow, that's quick. Looking forward to the pictures, I don't believe I ever saw one.

JustDaveyB
July 21st, 2012, 06:41 AM
Wow, that's quick. Looking forward to the pictures, I don't believe I ever saw one.

Yes too quick as pen budget is now blown till October. But it was No1 on the list so as they say "come Hell or high water" I wasn't going to let it slip away. There is are some images of a San Francisco on nibs.com http://www.nibs.com/PelikanBerlinStckPage.htm#SF but I have come to know that these cities series pen are much better looking in real life.

peterpen53
July 21st, 2012, 10:58 AM
Yes too quick as pen budget is now blown till October. But it was No1 on the list so as they say "come Hell or high water" I wasn't going to let it slip away. There is are some images of a San Francisco on nibs.com http://www.nibs.com/PelikanBerlinStckPage.htm#SF but I have come to know that these cities series pen are much better looking in real life.

I very much hope it is, based on that picture I would never buy it. So I'll wait for yours. In the meantime, the Grand Place remains my favourite M620.

Bogon07
July 21st, 2012, 05:57 PM
Congratulations. That is wonderful.
Will you be celebrating with a nice bottle from your cellar when it arrives ?

That just leaves the Athens and Berlin now, doesn't it ?

JustDaveyB
July 21st, 2012, 09:04 PM
Congratulations. That is wonderful.
Will you be celebrating with a nice bottle from your cellar when it arrives ?

That just leaves the Athens and Berlin now, doesn't it ?

The pen should be wonderful (it had better be), having had to grovel big time to my wife - well I do work on the theory that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than for approval...:)

I do plan to open a good bottle of wine this week as it is my wife's birthday - maybe a nice Tasmanian sparkling.

Athens is probably now my grail pen, with Berlin second and the Bexley Americana Sanibel Blue third. It is going to be interesting what direction my collecting will go after the M620 set. I did have thoughts about getting the Pelikan Black/Green Striated version in all the sizes, so would only need the M300, M800 and M1000 versions or collecting some of the rarer export version Pelicans or maybe I might finally look at vintage fountain pens. I am probably going to the Melbourne pen show this November so that maybe a kick off point for a new direction.

peterpen53
July 22nd, 2012, 03:23 AM
How about tortoise Pelikans? :) (bad joke, I know)

Seriously, I hesitate to say this, but I stayed away from vintage pens until I stumbled upon a Montblanc 121 just over a month ago. To be honest I bought it because it was a good and affordable chance to test an oblique nib. But depending on your definition of the word 'vintage', these 40-50 year old Montblancs are very nice pens and most of them are fairly affordable. And as far as I can tell they're often in a very decent condition. I would have a look at them if you're going to that pen show.

JustDaveyB
July 22nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
How about tortoise Pelikans? :) (bad joke, I know)

Seriously, I hesitate to say this, but I stayed away from vintage pens until I stumbled upon a Montblanc 121 just over a month ago. To be honest I bought it because it was a good and affordable chance to test an oblique nib. But depending on your definition of the word 'vintage', these 40-50 year old Montblancs are very nice pens and most of them are fairly affordable. And as far as I can tell they're often in a very decent condition. I would have a look at them if you're going to that pen show.

Yes the classic tortoise Pelikan - I own one, a M415 brown tortoise but really don't see myself with a whole collection of them.

I would actually like a pen made in the year of my birth - unfortunately the late sixties weren't really the height of fountain pen production. Maybe a Montblanc or Conway Stewart of that era would be the go.

Decision, decisions - luckily I have find and buy a couple more Pelikans before I have to think about what next.

brando090
July 23rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
Yes the classic tortoise Pelikan - I own one, a M415 brown tortoise but really don't see myself with a whole collection of them.

I would actually like a pen made in the year of my birth - unfortunately the late sixties weren't really the height of fountain pen production. Maybe a Montblanc or Conway Stewart of that era would be the go.

Decision, decisions - luckily I have find and buy a couple more Pelikans before I have to think about what next.

Well if you dont want the 415, ill acquire it :)

I saw your post earlier OP, and i just found one in a classified. It the blue/green translucent Athans one, and i love it. I looked at nibs.com, and i see 3-5 of them id like to buy :amen:

JustDaveyB
July 24th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Well if you dont want the 415, ill acquire it :)

I saw your post earlier OP, and i just found one in a classified. It the blue/green translucent Athans one, and i love it. I looked at nibs.com, and i see 3-5 of them id like to buy :amen:

No the one M415 BT is fine in my collection.

Yes am looking at the Athens on FPN at the moment as well.

I started a new thread for my San Francisco that arrived today http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/944-And-then-there-were-ten-(Pelikan-M620)

dragonstail
July 29th, 2012, 06:17 PM
That is a very nice looking set. The catalog photos of them as they come out are always appealing, but seeing the group is way better.

My Pelikan collection is very pedestrian, mostly new 400's and 200's, with one 605. I did get my first vintage pens last year, a 400NN and a 140, both classic green pin-stripe. One of them is from close to my birth year, but I haven't verified it any closer yet.

jor412
July 29th, 2012, 06:46 PM
What a beautiful collection. I particularly like Chicago, Piazza Navona & Shanghai. :) Can't wait to see the SF lined up along with the others.

JustDaveyB
July 29th, 2012, 08:49 PM
What a beautiful collection. I particularly like Chicago, Piazza Navona & Shanghai. :) Can't wait to see the SF lined up along with the others.

Look here http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/944-And-then-there-were-ten-(Pelikan-M620)

velo
August 23rd, 2013, 11:57 PM
I almost got the Place de la Concorde. Damn ebay snipers.

Penne Stilografiche
August 27th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Wow, beautiful collection. Thanks to the OP, I think I want one now, especially the brown one that is in the middle of the picture. I really need to stay away from these photography threads....:)

fncll
August 28th, 2013, 12:11 AM
That Grand Place is singing a siren song. Very nice!