PDA

View Full Version : Chinese pens leaking when stored nib down

mariom
August 23rd, 2014, 04:38 PM
I'm relatively new to pen infatuation, and as a means of cheaply getting a few extra pens to play with I've bought some Chinese pens. Without exception, the pens leak badly when stored nib down - and I don't mean just a few drops. An entire converter full of ink will drain in between 10 minutes (worst case) and overnight. So far this is happening with 3 Baoers (including the 10 minute pen) and a Jinhao X450 (the overnight pen). This is happening with the original converters, replacement converters and a new OEM Monteverde cartridge, both with and without the cap. I've also checked and re-seated the feed on the worst offender with little effect.

Is this to be expected? While I aim to store my pens horizontally, it isn't always practical to ensure that they stay horizontal at all times. I haven't seen any significant evidence of this with my better pens ( 2 x Monteverde Invincia, Parker Classic, Lamy 2000).

Is there any way to address the problem, or have I perhaps scored a batch of faulty pens?

Mario

gbryal
August 23rd, 2014, 05:01 PM
I guess I've always stored mine nib up. Maybe I'll fill my Baoer 388 and Jinhao x450 later to see what happens.

D Armstrong
August 23rd, 2014, 05:26 PM
Drippy leaks like that are a classic sign of a bad seal (or a hole in the sac in an older pen). If the same thing is happening with a cartridge, I would suspect some kind of scoring on the wee piercing tube (the technical name), which would allow for an air leak. My guess is a manufacturing defect.

The only solution, other than sending them back, is to buy pens which were made before 1959. ; )

RayCornett
August 23rd, 2014, 07:01 PM
Not necessarily a bad seal. It could be ink that is too think to be in a pen that is stored nib down as well.

mariom
August 24th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Drippy leaks like that are a classic sign of a bad seal (or a hole in the sac in an older pen). If the same thing is happening with a cartridge, I would suspect some kind of scoring on the wee piercing tube (the technical name), which would allow for an air leak. My guess is a manufacturing defect.

The only solution, other than sending them back, is to buy pens which were made before 1959. ; )

I don't know about sticking to pens made before 1959, but my brief fling with Chinese pens is pretty much over. Fortunately it's been a pretty cheap fling.

I did pick up my first older pen at the weekend though. I found a Parker 21 at a flea market for $10. It looks virtually unused, which is pretty good for a pen which must be at least 50 years old. It writes very well, and it doesn't leak!!

mhosea
August 24th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Been there, done that. I don't have many Chinese pens still in use, despite buying dozens. I have a Hero 9300 with BSB in it right now, and I have a couple of Wing Sung 3203's that I've put Sheaffer 14K nibs on (the original nibs were crap, as has been the case with all Wing Sung nibs I have had so far). I guess the Haolilai 601F is OK, and best-looking by far, but I had to rebuild its section to seal it (ink oozing at the snap ring). Parker 45's and Sheaffer No-Nonsense (plastic grip) make good knock-about pens.

johnus
August 25th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Leaking... Had the same problem with an inexpensive Chinese . It turned out to be a converter problem. Took the converter apart and I tried to use silicone on the joints and plunger. Didn't work. Corrected the problem with a new converter from a pen that I didn't really like.

mariom
August 26th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Leaking... Had the same problem with an inexpensive Chinese . It turned out to be a converter problem. Took the converter apart and I tried to use silicone on the joints and plunger. Didn't work. Corrected the problem with a new converter from a pen that I didn't really like.

Thanks, but I've tried this without success. The fact they also leak with cartridges indicates problems at another level.I think.

Mario