PDA

View Full Version : Engineering (Computation) Paper That Is FP Friendly

AtomicLeo
August 28th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I use the green engineering (computation) pads at work and the last batch they bought are terrible. Do not even hold up to rollerball or gel ink pens. It's the Tops brand. I'm looking at the other brands National, Redline, etc. Anyone have experience with these and fountain pens?

Here is the Tops brand that I despise.

http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Computation-Letter-Sheets-35500/dp/B001J87JTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409252224&sr=8-1&keywords=engineering+paper

Wile E Coyote
August 28th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I've used National and Ampad with good results using a FP, but I generally use pencils when doing calculations (always erasing something and FP's don't work well with a straightedge). National in buff is my preferred computation paper.

AtomicLeo
August 28th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I prefer National in buff, too! Where is it? I have only found green.

Wile E Coyote
August 28th, 2014, 04:39 PM
The last batch I purchased from Pearl Paint which is no longer in business. I did a search and couldn't find any from National. Even the National website only shows green and white.

I guess I have to hoard what I have.

Jeph
September 3rd, 2014, 03:10 AM
I also have some Ampad green pads from the 80's that I just tested and it works fine with FP's. But I only use it with pencils.

22-141 50 sheets
22-142 100 sheets
22-144 200 sheets

AtomicLeo
September 3rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
I a few sheets from National from the mid 90s and they work as well. Not sure if the current stock is as good.

Jeph
September 5th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I did some more testing on the Ampad paper today as I had a scrap sheet laying on top of my pile. The ink goes down well enough, but it is pretty scratchy. Significantly more scratchy than plain copy paper although you get much less feathering. It made one of my zero feedback pens feel like it had a tine out of alignment. It did not dig, but the feedback was noticeable. I would not call it FP friendly.