PDA

View Full Version : The Slow Pace of Writing by Hand: how are *you* affected?

Jon Szanto
August 29th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Open topic for discussion:

I've recently started making a concerted effort to correspond by hand, first with dedicated "Thank You" notes, and now with occasional letters. This is not pen pal stuff, but (at the moment) items meant to reach people I care about and/or have known for a long time. I have coupled it with pens that are now fulfilling my long desire for pens I will have for the duration: nibs ground to my specs, or the gradual collection of pens that simply write like heaven.

What I am noticing, especially in letters of more than one page, is that the way my mind works is quite different - or needs to be - than when I am typing stuff. On the keyboard, I go in a manic flurry and then return and edit, sometimes for glitches, sometimes for content; with the written word, I am much, much slower. Part of this is that I am both left-handed (though, as an underwriter, I don't usually smear) as well as someone who doesn't have, in full flight, lovely penmanship. I slow down so that it is legible to the recipient.

And this slowness, this keeping a low pace and looking at what I'm writing (since it would be a mess to correct) is causing me to create letters, notes, and essays that differ in style from my faster modes. I'm not concerned, and in fact am intrigued, but I was wondering if anyone else would care to speak as to how their thoughts go down on paper, as differently from when they are keyboarding.

As a sidenote, this interesting article came to me on FB via a friend, and might be worth a look, too:

What's Lost as Handwriting Fades (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/science/whats-lost-as-handwriting-fades.html)

Please share, as I'm interested to hear other viewpoints on this.

Newjelan
August 29th, 2014, 02:31 AM
I think that the physical act of writing does make a difference to the quality of thoughts and ideas. Even though I'm a technology geek, I prefer to handwrite most things. I find the process helps me slow my thinking, be more reflective and creative and improve my listening. In turn, this means material written by hand usually requires little or no editing once it's on paper.

If I compose directly onto my computer or iPad (as I'm doing now) I too easily fall into the trap of interrupting my thoughts by editing as I go. When typing I seem to want to be a quick as I can, in contrast to the deliberate, meditative state I enter when I'm writing by hand.

Dreck
August 29th, 2014, 05:33 AM
I think there is a difference (at least somewhat) in the style of my written missive as compared to a typed one, Jon. As you noted, though, the process itself is different. I am one whose best ripostes come 15 seconds after the fact. I'm a percolator. I need time (and quiet!) to think and agonize over word choice and sequence. In typing, this is generally handled by cut-and-paste or other editing. For letters (or arguments with my wife or discussions with students' parents), I must first compose a mental rough draft & do all necessary editing before pen ever touches paper (or tongue touches air). Failure to do so results in the appearance of 'editing spiders' drawn over words I've curliqued out (or a lot of stammering and back-pedaling in the case of spoken missteps).
Even so, there are times I'll look over a letter I've written and wonder if my pen friends think they've been saddled with a low grade moron.

I think this pre-planning & mental editing becomes easier with time, but it will always be more necessary for a cogent, cohesive handwritten work than a computer-typed one. I suppose that some people may manage to close the style-gap & write beautiful letters that flow. Some of us may narrow that gap, but never manage to close it entirely.

Crazyorange
August 29th, 2014, 06:32 PM
I find letter writing relaxing. Time slows down when I'm writing.....then I look up and realize an hour has passed. I usually reread my penpal's letter and address topics that come up. I feel like I'm having a conversation with the person. Then I enjoy holding the pen and feeling my personality coming through it onto the paper. I'm amazed how good it feels to write letters. Quiet and comforting. I get none of this with my computer/iPad.

VertOlive
August 29th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Well, for me, it depends on the recipient. Sometimes I just sizzle along in a free wheeling splatter of ink. Sometimes I write myself into a corner and then have to write myself back out again. Sometimes I incubate a great long while and then set-to like a yeoman.

Whatever the mode, it is a decidely more organic process since the pen feels more like an extension of my neural net than does a keyboard. Then there are the tactile and visual elements--think Sailor Evening Cicada on Tomoe River--that just can't be replaced in an electronic setting. That part feels like a conduit into emotional coloring I normally don't express in typed materials.

orfew
August 29th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks Jon for an interesting and thought provoking post.

I think a lot of this has to do with how people are taught to write. We might as well face it, writing does not come naturally, to some extent it must be taught and learned. It is such a difficult cognitive activity that if we thought about it too much, we probably would not do it. Try to think about all of the different facets of writing-spelling, grammar, syntax, semantics, discourse etc., that are a part of the writing process.

When teaching my students about writing I often encourage the activity of free writing. Get an idea in your head and set a time limit, then just write whatever comes into your head. Then comes the revision process and then editing. A first draft is just that, a draft. Admittedly, the editing and revision processes are much easier on a computer keyboard. One can move around huge chunks of text and use a spell checker and grammar checker. When one does not have such help it is necessary to slow down, think about the next word before it is written (both in terms of the function of that word and the meaning of the word in the context of the phrase or sentence), and consider how your next thought fits into the thread you are writing about. This means one must revise and edit on the fly. These skills not only help us write better but help us think better.

One exercise I often give students is to come up with an idea upon which they might like to write a paper (I usually give a long list of possible topics from which to choose). I ask them to shout out their topics. I will choose one and within 2 minutes will show them how to write an essay on that topic. I will show them a basic introduction, conclusion, and 3 body paragraphs in outline form. I will do a few of these and ask for reactions. The writing process is difficult, but it does not have to be mysterious.

LagNut
August 30th, 2014, 09:17 PM
What I do notice is that handwriting taps a different well, at least in me. One where the thoughts have been fermenting for a long time. It's almost like it taps into the subconscious.

My handwriting is pretty much for work or myself. I have not written a long letter in thirty years. I do notice that the new stuff comes out with handwriting, and the keyboard is revision central.

This was a surprisingly resonant prompt. Good to rehash some of this...

Mike

tandaina
August 30th, 2014, 10:46 PM
When taking notes I tend to write less. Instead of trying to get everything the speaker says down on paper I listen better and just jot down key "take away talking points." I'll end up with a journal page full of two word, three word, or short sentence zingers. The nice part is there is less to wade through later when I review and those zingers tend to be the things I can reuse and work into my own teaching.

Jon Szanto
August 30th, 2014, 11:30 PM
In addition to clicking on buttons, I want to thank all of you for sharing. It illuminates a lot, and gives me new insights into the things I am experiencing as I write more by hand (again, decades later).

I appreciate you sharing these thoughts.

henkm
August 31st, 2014, 12:50 AM
I was never in the habit of writing book reports/reviews (teaching such was apparently not modern enough for my school). A few years ago, I wrote book reports on librarything for a while but, like so many things started enthousiastically, it fizzled. I think because keeping up with a very active forum took too much of my time. This year I started again but handwritten. The first time I had to write a draft but after that no more. I sometimes jot down notes while reading and while I do refer to them, many end up not being incorporated because I realise while writing they're expendable details.

I also started writing out my teaching notes and I find it helps to focus my thoughts and to make sure I thoroughly understand before I teach. I do make drafts for this, though.

Written with edits-as-I-went-along on a screen.

Mags
August 31st, 2014, 03:04 AM
Jon

Nice of you to inquire.

For my own experience the written word by my hand is organized differently than by keyboard. I am free to group my ideas literally. I can use shapes and groupings of ideas that can not be handled in a word processor. I can doodle, draw, I can emphasize and bold with only slight hand pressure.

Jon Szanto
March 10th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Necroposting to my own thread...

I've gathered Thank You notecards that really work, and I've found good, inexpensive, fun supplies of both postcards and notecards, and laid in plenty. As such, the last few months have given me ample opportunity and tools to write to my friends. I'm much better at doing the TY notes promptly, and I'm finding that by limiting myself to a postcard (one-sided) or notecard (2-sided), I have only so much space I can fill - which means I don't have the burden (imagined) of having to come up with a long letter to write.

The 'strategy' (though it was never that) is working brilliantly. Many of my friends email back to say how nice it was to get a hand-written note.

However, I've always found the blockade at journaling. Many reasons, I suppose: daily chore, not wanting to be verbosely self-centered, etc. A couple years ago I picked up an item, and tried it a few times. It never stuck. Today, I picked it up again. I realized that the tiny space to write for each day was the perfect parallel to my other, new tactics, and also that the pens I had settled on for postcards (i.e. fine nib, non-feathering and bulletproof inks, always at the ready) were a perfect match for this book.

Once again, it is all coming together. I can easily see myself addressing this minor task, a documenting of a glimpse of one day, a hand-written Instagram to myself. I hope I don't fail such a modest goal.

http://fancykins.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/One-Line-A-Day.jpg

Holsworth
March 11th, 2015, 02:22 AM
I think, by today's standards, I write quite a lot (though maybe not by this forums standards). I write letters - normally 2 or 3 a week. I take hand written notes at work. I have a paper planner diary, and write a personal diary too. My writing style for all of them is different, and all of those are different to how I type.

For my personal diary it's very much a brain dump - skipping between thoughts as they come to me with no apparent logic. It's not meant to be read by anyone, I don't even read it myself, so I don't concern myself with it.

Letters are conversations. I have the letter I'm replying to next to me while I write, and I respond to each point as I come to it. Probably more eloquently than I would in real life, as I have time to assess my words before I put pen to paper. Sometimes my brain moves too fast for my hand to keep up. That normally results in spelling mistakes when I try to write two words at once to keep up.

Work notes are brief, scribbled, just about legible, and normally surrounded by doodles. They get messier the longer the meeting goes on. They're more memory prompts for the next day when I type them up.

With typing I edit, change, rearrange, depending on what I'm typing on. I'm doing this on my phone, which is almost impossible to edit on, so I will press post without re-reading what I've written! My response if I'd been typing this on computer with proper keyboard and mouse may well have been different.

caribbean_skye
March 11th, 2015, 05:47 AM
Jon, not sure how I missed this post the first time around. For me, it depends on who I am sending the correspondence to, whether written or typed. If its to a good friend/family or long time penpal I just write away. Usually their letter is sitting right up front so I can respond with my own comments, questions or observations. After that section, if there are things I want to say that I havent managed to segue into during the course of the aforementioned stage then it is a brain dump. While I would like to say that I re-read for spelling errors or content omissions (those pesky joining words) I rarely if ever do that. If the correspondence is typed I will check for spelling issues or missing words (sometimes the processor cannot keep up with 140+ wpm) but rarely do I ever have it organised. I am rambler by nature whether in person or in letter form. A good friend of mine once remarked that getting a letter or email from me is just like talking to me in person (should have had her qualify if that is a good or bad thing [emoji1]).

With correspondence that is to someone I really dont know I try and keep it short and quite a bit more organised and will give serious though before anything hits the paper, self editing as I go. May it is the act of typing but for whatever reason I feel less confident typing the words than hand writing them. Maybe because the words typed have less permanence and can be easily re-arranged but I seldom feel as confident typing something out as I do writing it by hand. I hope that makes sense.

Dont really keep a traditional diary but a bullet journal and as much as love writing long letters my daily entries are succinct bullet points. Same with notes at work. Maybe it is because there are no forthcoming responses but I just dont see the need to write long notes to myself. Usually a quick entry is enough to remind me of that event which is why I keep the notes short.

I tend to handwrite slow as well, I find it relaxing (of course the cup of tea nearby also helps) and also its a concerted effort to ensure the legibility of the handwriting. Handwritten letters are not short or quick events with me but I do enjoy the process of exploring my feelings via pen and paper.

chojo
March 11th, 2015, 06:34 AM
The way I write really depends on what I'm writing and who I'm writing to. I don't type an awful lot and usually only if I have to because my fingers have no co-ordination what so ever and combine that with auto correct, most of it is gibberish so I spend more time going back and editing than I ever would If I just picked up a pen in the first place. I believe handwriting is good for me which is a little strange as it's actually quite a painful thing for me to do due to various ailments, but the pace at which my thoughts travel to the paper actually takes my mind off the pain. Choosing a pen and ink then paper and any other adornments I may use is a very personal thing to me,it reflects how I feel at the time of writing. I feel some of the folks I write to are only replying from a sense of decency or politeness they don't really want to correspond with me anymore but can't find a way to tell me and it comes through in their letters so I find myself thinking a little harder on my reply to see if I'm doing or saying something to offend or if there's a way I can let them off the hook so they don't feel bad. Where as with other people the words just flow without any self editing as I consider them true friends so it's just a lovely enjoyable conversation. When I do type I still take time to consider what I'm going to say and often ponder greatly as to whether or not to hit send. I can't just sit down and write, I have to be fairly sure I can be uninterrupted and have the time to finish what I want to say. The lighting affects my mood and thus my words as does the music I'm listening to and the temperature of the room, as I said it can be very painful for me to write so I need to be sure the words are worth it. Most of my family wouldn't thank me for a thank you card or any form of written message. I don't have much spare time either so I'm not going to waste it on unwanted words. They can have the cu l8r's and LOL's instead. I'm just so very glad that despite Twitter and Facebook there are still people in the world for whom the written word still matters and no matter what will put the phone or tablet down and pick up a pen, It does make you think more about your response and I believe most of us will genuinely feel better for doing it.

elaineb
March 11th, 2015, 07:02 AM
A very interesting question.

For me, the biggest difference between writing by hand and writing on a keyboard is the lack of an "undo" function. You cannot edit as you go, except to cross out small typos or such. Because of that, there's a need to be constantly coming up with creative solutions. If you start a sentence one way, you need to finish it that way. You're committed. And if you can't think of a way to end it, then you have to sit there and think until you find something that works.

And more often than not, I find unexpected words and thoughts appear as I work this way. In fact, I find I generally better prose by hand than on a keyboard. It's too easy to retreat into what's comfortable (and perhaps overused) when you can change your mind and redo everything infinitely. It's not to say my handwritten words don't need editing -- they will always need a good round of polishing. (Or two. Or three...) But I generally get more out of my time when I start writing by hand.

ethernautrix
March 11th, 2015, 08:26 AM
I spell faster with a pen, not having to backspace-backspace-backspace or ctrl-shift-left-arrow and delete, and I type quickly (even with all the correcting along the way -- also, never having learned to type properly) and I write quickly, and I also make typos with the pen (occasionally leaving out a word, usually a crucial omission), and looking back, I have always had pens and a typewriter, so... um.... Dunno. I'm fairly chatty whether in e-mail or stationery or postcard. The postcard does, however, prevent me from rambling for three pages, which might or might not be appreciated.

Jon, I like your One Line A Day notebook. I'm trying to keep a pocket-size Moleskine Diary, consolidating whatever from the day or from the main notebook, in an effort to practice identifying the most important thing(s) and expressing it succinctly. Hahaha, sounds like Twitter. Anyway, so far, days lapse and I have to flip through the main notebook to fill in the Diary's pages. Maybe that's redundant. Or, eventually, when I want to look up a certain event or title, efficient.

DaveBj
March 11th, 2015, 09:33 AM
I wrote the first draft of my novel in longhand (in pencil, not FP). I type a lot faster than I hand-write (up to 80 wpm), but I have found that I compose a lot better when I handwrite. The feeling that I get is like taking a dog for an unleashed walk. The writing process (the human) plods along at a relatively slow pace, while my mind (the dog) runs around in circles, sniffing things out. Then the second draft goes into the computer, and that's where the editing process starts.

Morgaine
March 12th, 2015, 07:42 AM
When you are writing by hand, each letter is unique, a masterpiece! of art, with thought (even if brief) gone into it. With typing, you arehitting keys. You think, you must write this particular word and you make your finger(s) carry out the actions to spell those words. Just tapping, hitting of keys. No creation other than words on a screen, relying on electricity. You can't run at full speed throughout the day, so handwriting, whether letters or a journal, gives you the chance to slow down. I find writing letters relaxing.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 22nd, 2015, 03:58 AM
I'm a touch hesitant to offer my thoughts on this, but here goes. In my own experience it really depends on what I am writing. If I am brainstorming or just getting ideas down on paper then I go fast and don't worry overly much about structure, grammar or spelling. On the other hand, if I am writing a letter to a friend I don't really want to have to do several drafts - that is, I try to get my thoughts in order and onto the page correctly first time of asking. So I slow down significantly, not so much in the act of writing but in the thought before the pen touches the paper. When taking notes at a lecture I cleave to the idea that handwriting forces one to actually listen, understand and summarise - as opposed to verbatim typing which requires none of these things.

I realise that many people do things in many different ways. This is my way, ordinary that it is. Sorry for not offering anything too exciting, illuminating or radical.

Neo
March 22nd, 2015, 06:25 AM
I'm a touch hesitant to offer my thoughts on this, but here goes. In my own experience it really depends on what I am writing. If I am brainstorming or just getting ideas down on paper then I go fast and don't worry overly much about structure, grammar or spelling. On the other hand, if I am writing a letter to a friend I don't really want to have to do several drafts - that is, I try to get my thoughts in order and onto the page correctly first time of asking. So I slow down significantly, not so much in the act of writing but in the thought before the pen touches the paper. When taking notes at a lecture I cleave to the idea that handwriting forces one to actually listen, understand and summarise - as opposed to verbatim typing which requires none of these things.

I realise that many people do things in many different ways. This is my way, ordinary that it is. Sorry for not offering anything too exciting, illuminating or radical.

That sounds like like a very good method, don't be so hard on yourself. Is there anything you enjoy doing (pen related or not)?

elaineb
March 22nd, 2015, 10:44 AM
that is, I try to get my thoughts in order and onto the page correctly first time of asking. So I slow down significantly, not so much in the act of writing but in the thought before the pen touches the paper.

It sounds like you and I approach it the same way.

My roommate in college said I looked very peculiar as I wrote letters. She said I would sit motionless, staring into nowhere for up to a minute or two, and then suddenly look down and start writing furiously. Then stop, and spend another minute or so absolutely motionless. I had and still do not have any sense of doing this. From my perspective, it feels like I'm writing continuously from start to finish. Though, time does have a peculiar flow while I'm writing. All too often when I'm done with a letter or story, it's somehow three hours after I started, the afternoon is gone, and I suddenly have to start dinner.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 22nd, 2015, 05:40 PM
That sounds like like a very good method, don't be so hard on yourself. Is there anything you enjoy doing (pen related or not)?

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the question, as it relates to my previous post. Probably my usual level of dimness I expect.

Neo
March 22nd, 2015, 05:57 PM

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the question, as it relates to my previous post. Probably my usual level of dimness I expect.

No, no, I was just trying to start a conversation and wanted ideas for discussion. Enjoy the sunny weather.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 22nd, 2015, 09:12 PM
Ah, I see. Well, it would be far easier to list those things I don't enjoy - much shorter list!

Quantum Sailor
March 24th, 2015, 08:48 PM
I mainly write to take notes in what i'm doing. I find that it makes me slow down and actually process the information. I read very very fast and a lot gets lost when that happens. I also find that if I write down the important points I won't forget them. So its a beneficial and sometimes necessary process for me. I was practicing different styles a while ago transcribing some poems and may take that up again.

JackdeSpadas
November 21st, 2015, 09:19 PM
A little bump to an interesting topic.

Jon--sounds like you have found some good tools that match your needs well. I think that is one of the keys. I have been terrible at being organized or tracking tasks, deadlines, assignments, mileage, etc. for years. After my wife picked up a Midori TN, the light went on, and I created a similar TN, which has done me a lot of good. Much like the cards you have selected are working for you.

My writing can be about as fast as my typing, so the pacing is generally not so different. High school and--even more so--college ruined my handwriting, since I took copious notes, so I have to slow down significantly for other people's benefit. I'm not afraid to scribble some notes or even a full rough draft, even if I expect to copy the draft word-for-word for the final version. I just use loose paper or a cheap notebook for the notes and drafts. Sometimes I sit and ponder, but that just as often results in derailment, so I applaud those who can make it work.

But Neo alludes to an important distinction: far more of the brain is active while handwriting than typing, and herein is the challenge of an increasingly digital culture. Those who write retain orders of magnitude more than those who type, yet even the education system is pushing kids onto iPads and laptops. (BTW: most people under 20 can't write or even read cursive.) So I guess one could consider handwriting a means of keeping one's edge, and encrypting your messages.

Paddler
November 22nd, 2015, 07:57 AM
I don't think I write differently when using longhand vs computer. Nearly all of my writing (journal entries or letters) is done in drafts and would probably come out the same either way. If I am writing a long story longhand, I keep the work granular, leaving a half page empty every three pages or so. That way, the rewrite after editing is not so tedious. Besides, I like to write anyway and copying a page of text in a different color is not a chore.

I find that letters, especially, are much more appreciated if you take more pains with them. If you go a little artsy and print your own stationery, your letters can end up framed or pasted into scrap books.

Sailor Kenshin
November 22nd, 2015, 08:11 AM
Interesting topic, and how did I also miss it?

I'm sorry to say that I write like I type: full speed ahead, regret at leisure.

jar
November 22nd, 2015, 08:40 AM
I still count on my writing speed to limit my thinking speed. There really is value in considering and contemplating.

Newjelan
November 28th, 2015, 02:13 AM
I also use fountain pens and handwriting, in part, to slow my mind down. I also find the rhythm of writing relaxing. (Then there's the inks, paper, nob varieties, beautiful plans etc etc etc)