PDA

View Full Version : TWSBI 580 : Normal size or Mini

bulbboy
August 29th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Looking to get a TWSBI 580but not sure whether to get a normal size or the Mini.

Thoughts from people that gave handled both?

Thanks!

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a635/Michaeld31/imagejpg1_zpsf0083348.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/Michaeld31/media/imagejpg1_zpsf0083348.jpg.html)

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a635/Michaeld31/imagejpg1_zpse67b2748.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/Michaeld31/media/imagejpg1_zpse67b2748.jpg.html)

Quantum Sailor
August 29th, 2014, 11:50 PM
I have a normal size and my gf has a mini. I find that the normal 580 doesn't post well and the mini seems almost he same size posted as the unposted full size. The mini has threads to post the cap which I find to be pretty cool. Well the rose gold and white mini does so I assume they all do.

I think for me it comes down to ink capacity and how much posting or not posting. I don't think I'd like writing with a mini unposted because it would be too small and I have longer hands. I prefer my 580 full size but wouldn't argue with owning a mini myself. Other than that I think the nibs are the same.

rgperedo
August 31st, 2014, 10:17 AM
I had this same debate when I got my first TWSBI pen. I eventually chose the regular 580. Besides the fact that I loved the way it wrote and the piston mechanism was great I was a little annoyed by the fact that it doesn't post. I kept thinking that I should have gotten the mini instead. Eventually I got the mini and I also realized I don't really love posting my pens. I have a few others and even when I can post I don't. So that wasn't a "make it or break it deal" for me anymore. The mini is compact and writes well and posts securely. So what you have to think about is posting and ink capacity. I know one should prefer more ink capacity but I like to change ink colors in my pens and I don't mind a smaller ink capacity. I have a lot of pens if I had only one I would be more worried about ink capacity. I think either way you'll be getting an excellent pen. Now I have pretty much every TWSBI model they made including the Micarta and a Roc 100, so I think their pens are great. Good luck.

Mags
August 31st, 2014, 10:27 AM
I find the mini great posted but too small when not posted. The mini is excellent as a pocket pen and better being piston fill for me when considering say a Kaweco at even half the price. The larger TWSBI is my preference though as I place pens in my shirt pocket or suit jacket pockets. You really can't go wrong if you buy one of each like I have.

snedwos
August 31st, 2014, 11:57 AM
I've used both, and the mini just feels more solid to me.

VertOlive
August 31st, 2014, 01:27 PM
I have 3 minis and a 540. I have small hands and don't even mind the mini unposted. Posted, they're about the size and feel of the bigger pen. I never mind inking a pen so ink capacity is not an issue for me.

Best advice: Get both and send whichever one you like least back to the store.

reprieve
August 31st, 2014, 04:23 PM
I have two Minis (in clear and classic) and two 580s (in aluminum and red-blue) and I like all of them a lot. The 580s are large pens (think Pelikan M800) while the Mini is a small pen that becomes full-sized when posted.

If I had to choose only one, I would pick the Mini. It's unobtrusive and so it travels well, holds a lot of ink, and has a threaded barrel end for posting (so it's difficult to drop or loose the cap which is especially great when you're on the go). The Mini is one of my main workhorse pens. The 580s tend to get used at my desk during longer writing sessions when I tend to reach for a large pen.

jadehawk
September 1st, 2014, 06:52 AM
Same here I have 2 580's one AL and the other RB, and a Clear mini.. I like them all it is really hard to choose, but for an EDC I carry the mini. it is a small pen when capped (Smaller than my Pilot Prera) but once posted it is the right size to be comfortable to write with. No matter your choice you will be happy, the nibs run on the thicker side like the German nibs.. One of the TWSBI's has an EF nib and it almost looks as thin as the Pilot Prera Fine nib..

Good luck with your decision.

mtnbiker62
September 1st, 2014, 08:09 AM
I just laid both of them out on my desk, and the Mini is slightly longer posted than the 580 is unposted. The Mini also has a smaller nib and feed than the 580. I can't recommend one over the other, though. I have both, and love both. If you want a custom ground nib, consider buying the pen from Pendleton Brown. I have a 580AL that I bought from him with a fine, Butter Line Stub nib, and I love it.

jadehawk
September 1st, 2014, 09:37 AM
I just laid both of them out on my desk, and the Mini is slightly longer posted than the 580 is unposted. The Mini also has a smaller nib and feed than the 580. I can't recommend one over the other, though. I have both, and love both. If you want a custom ground nib, consider buying the pen from Pendleton Brown. I have a 580AL that I bought from him with a fine, Butter Line Stub nib, and I love it.

Thank you for this info.. I was not aware there where options to grind a TWSBI nib. If/When my Penmanship reaches acceptable heights I may just invest in a custom grind..

bulbboy
September 1st, 2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all your help!

I went with the Mini and some fun Diamine Pumpkin ink to go with it

rdcalhoon
September 1st, 2014, 06:44 PM
I have some Diamine Pumpkin. Now I just need a Mini.