PDA

View Full Version : Rohrer & Klingner Ink

kenmc
June 27th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I found it very odd that no one on the last podcast had any experience with Rohrer & Klingner ink. I have been using it for a few years now and really enjoy it. I think since Eric seems to like green ink he would like the Verdigris or Verdura. I have found that Verdigris really works well in a pen that tends to be dry or has a skipping issue. They also offer a few iron gall inks. I like the Salix since it has a different tint of blue compared to Lamy and MB blue/black.

KrazyIvan
June 27th, 2012, 08:52 AM
While I have heard of the ink, looked at swabs and generally wondered about the ink, I have not sampled it yet. I am not particularly enamored with iron gall inks. I do have Lamy blue-black which is rumored to be iron gall but I don't think it has been confirmed. I don't use it much (I have filled two pens from it since I purchased it) and may post the bottle for sale and try some samples of Rohrer & Klingner inks with the proceeds. :)

maiboo
June 27th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I've purchased a bottle of R & K Fernambuk and while I like the color, I find it a dry ink. The only pen I can use it in is my Stipula Vedo. I've tried it in my TWSBI 540 and Micarta and it writes so dry I end up taking it out, but in my Vedo, it's flows perfectly. I'll have to try it in my other pen, maybe my Prera to see how it does. This has stopped me from venturing out and trying other R & K colors.

geoduc
June 27th, 2012, 08:13 PM
R&K is one of my go-to brands as I find the inks well behaved with nice colors. I also appreciate that they're not oversaturated, so you get decent shading with the right pen/paper combination and the ink is reasonably easy to clean out of a pen. Currently have eight different colors plus the LE blue-black on order. Favorites are Verdigris, Alt Goldgrun and Salix.

I haven't tried Fernambuk, thus can't comment on maiboo's experience. The colors I own mostly have moderate flow, although I find that the iron gall inks (Salix and Scabiosa) do tend towards the dry side.

The Good Captain
June 28th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I really like these inks and here in the UK they are good value for money. I've Konigsblau, Permanent Blau, Salix and Scabiosa (iron gall) and my favourite, Verdigris. That's a fabulous ink and one of my favourites. A limited-edition Blue-Black has just been launched but it's over three times the normal price and I shan't be bothering.

tiffanyhenschel
June 28th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I think it is a question of availabliity. R & K inks have not been available in the US for long (if I remember correctly.) That would explain why neither Eric nor Brian had experience with the brand. Stephen stated on the podcast that they are not available to him where he lives.

I have Alt Goldgrun and Scabiosa and really like both of them. The shade nicely and behave well on the papers that i use. Last night I tried a running water test on the Scabiosa, and there was almost no washout of ink at all.

KrazyIvan
June 28th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I don't even remember knowing about the brand until the Goulet's started carrying it. Of course, I did not know about any inks before December of 2010.

Truppi327
June 28th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I don't even remember knowing about the brand until the Goulet's started carrying it. Of course, I did not know about any inks before December of 2010.

I think the only company that really carried it regularly in the US before Goulet was the now defunct (what a shame) Pear Tree Pen Co. I really enjoy the Magenta and Alt-Goldgrun, crazy good shading for A-G as mentioned by others. Verdura and Solferino are on my list for full bottles, the samples have been great. R&K are pretty effortless to clean from my pens and I found the ones I've tried to be free flowing and well behaved. Good price and a sturdy utilitarian bottle. I also love the names, come one where else can you find names like Fermabunk and Alt-Goldgrun, if only things were that interesting in English.

I want to try both Salix and Scabiosa but haven't gotten around to it yet. I find both inks very intriguing - I like "different" inks and these seem pretty unique as far as modern Iron Gall ink goes.

:cool:

dannzeman
June 29th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Yeah, Peat Tree had R&K a while before most others. I have two bottles of Solferino and I love it. If I'd had been on the show last week I would have been able to comment. I'll be there in full force this week though!

gordyt
June 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Dan a big +1 on the Solferino! I first tried R&K inks when Brian Goulet sent out a batch of them for the January 2012 Ink Drop. The colors we got were:

Helianthus
Magenta
Solferino
Verdigris
Verdura

After trying out all of those I ordered a bottle of Soferino and I'm actually now considering ordering a bottle of the Verdigris.

writingrav
June 30th, 2012, 12:17 PM
What does Solferino look like? What color group?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

melissa59
June 30th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I've found Solferino to be a bright magenta. I don't have a bottle. I've only used the sample size. It's more purplish than J. Herbin Rose Cylamen, which is a kind of hot pink. But Solferino is definitely a purplish-pink, not a purplish-blue.

writingrav
June 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks. I'll check out the Goulet swab shop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ink mixer
June 30th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Alt-gold-grun is a great color. Helianthus is an interesting, but yellow inks don't have much readability. I can't wait to try Scabiosa.

southpaw52
July 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
As left hand writer I like the Rohrer Klinger inks, because they dry fairly fast. Secondly the colors are unique and different.

Sleepyside
July 11th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Does anyone else hate the bottles? I loooovvvve the ink but I really can't stand the bottle.

In all fairness, I could say that about half the inks I like. What is it with ink bottles? They're either pretty and you can't get the pen in or ugly/tippy/prone to cracked lids. Or, if the bottle's good, the ink is ugly/too dry/too wet/feathery or some other other undesirable feature.

rapid_butterfly
July 11th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Scabiosa and Salix are absolute daily use inks for me; I use Salix for everything at work. I find them both to behave perfectly on nearly any paper, and they are extremely resistant to water. I'd call them waterproof, in fact.

Alt-Bourdeux is nice too, a tad feathery on cheap paper, but surprisingly water resistant.

I actually kinda like the bottles, honestly. To each her own....

IWantThat
July 12th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Konigsblau is now my go-to blue ink :) I also love Salix.

liapuyat
April 29th, 2013, 06:07 AM
I've been using R&K Verdigris and Alt Goldgrun a lot. The colors are great and they have very good flow. Easy to clean, too. Am curious about Alt Bordeaux, might get that one day soon.

patta
June 6th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I like R+K inks a lot and do not bother about the glass, it's just plain simple and does the job. My favorite is Verdigris followed by Alt-Goldgruen and Cassia. A short while ago, I started with iron-gall inks and choose Scabiosa for it. It's quite a bit dryer compared to the other R+K inks but flows nicely in my Lamy safari with 1,5 nib.

attika89
June 6th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Well, I only have the Scabiosa and I'm absolutely in love with it! It is probably a bit dry, but that is okay for me.
I think I will try the Salix as well!

cedargirl
June 8th, 2013, 12:42 AM
I have three bottles - scabiosa, sepia and alt goldgrun - all great. Bottles are functional not works of art, caps are metal, which doesn't matter to me as I keep bottles in their boxes (ironically, R&K do not supply boxes).
All three are fantastic colours - the sepia is more grey than anything (don't buy expecting a brown) - I like it for sketching; the scabiosa is lovely, drier than the others, shades and is waterproof; and the gold green is a wonderful shading ink.

AndyT
June 8th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Salix and Scabiosa are on the very short list of inks I always have. On top of everything else they're remarkably well behaved and easy to flush out of pens.

The bottles are fine by me. With the honourable exception of Montblanc's shoe design it seems that the flashier the bottle, the less likely it is to be practical.

fountainpenkid
June 12th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I've use alt Goldgrun and as others have probably said it is amazing with no issues whatsoever.

reprieve
June 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I have used Alt Goldgrün, Alt Bordeaux, Verdigris, Sepia, Cassia, Leipziger-Schwarz, Scabiosa, and Salix. My favorites by far are Alt Goldgrün and Sepia. Verdigris is lovely in a broader nib or a flex nib that brings out its shading; in a fine nib, it looks near-black. While I like Scabiosa and Salix a lot, their dryness bothers me and so I save them for very wet nibs (they are perfect for my vintage Pelikans).

liapuyat
June 27th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I just received my Alt Bordeaux from the Goulets - I love the old-fashioned wine color of it.

Margana
June 29th, 2013, 11:46 AM
R&K inks are good quality and value for money but there is one caveat. The metal caps are not sturdy and can bend enough to allow ink to leak or even encourage evaporation. Don't leave ink in the cap when you close it or it might drip onto the bottle, your desk, or even your floor. Luckily for me, Morinda came out of my carpet with a liberal application of Folex. Whew!

Miss Thundercat
January 31st, 2014, 05:13 AM
I only have one bottle which is Alt-GoldGrün and it's a wonderful green color. I have sampled a few and came across another olive/mossy green color called Magic Ghost (from their harry potter line) But getting a bottle from this line seems nearly impossible for me. The sample I purchased a few years ago at Gouletpens but only just got around to using it in a pen.

bianibi
February 9th, 2014, 10:17 AM
I have a bottle of Alt Goldgrung, which is a lovely green shade, but I doesn't play nice at all!
I use it in a Pilot Vanishing Point while writing on Clairefontaine paper and it manages to feather... I'm hoping to find a combination that will respond to the inks demands, but up until now I've had no luck.

pengeezer
February 9th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I have both Scabiosa and Sepia and like them both,esp. Scabiosa.

John