PDA

View Full Version : What you could call grail pens :))

brando090
June 27th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Ive been very happy with my progress in the pen hobby so far. Here are two grail pens ive acquired in the last 6 months...

http://penspensandmorepens.blogspot.com/

Pinkys.Brain
June 27th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I would rather go with something like this:

http://www.syosaibungu.com/SHOP/sailor-nibset.html

1 Sailor Fountain pen
21 different Sailor nibs = almost every nib they offer!
1 Wooden box

And only for about 9000$...what a treat, ^_^

ianmedium
June 28th, 2012, 01:03 AM
I love the Sailor one, that would be the ultimate nib fetishers delight!

For me, well, I am luck as I own a few grail pens already but if money were not object there is one pen that I fell hook line and sinker for when it was introduced a few years ago. I fell in love with the amazing details, fell in love with the look. The subject matter the pen is based upon is very dear to my heart as I loved his genius and talent, I am talking of the Mont Blanc Chaplin fountain pen.

When the recent Bonhams auction came up it was one of the very few times I wished I was rich for they had one up for auction. I love that pen! I never say never though, my pen collection is testament to the impossible coming true!

JustDaveyB
June 28th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I would rather go with something like this:

http://www.syosaibungu.com/SHOP/sailor-nibset.html

1 Sailor Fountain pen
21 different Sailor nibs = almost every nib they offer!
1 Wooden box

And only for about 9000$...what a treat, ^_^

Nice! the nibs, not the price.

JustDaveyB
June 28th, 2012, 02:21 AM
I have been looking at my A list of wants today. I am betting that none of my remaining three M620 Fps will appear on eBay next month as I am keen to buy a Visconti Homo Sapiens - I like the bronze better than the steel. I have also been eyeing off a brand new Pelikan M600 White Tortoise with maybe a custom grind 0.8mm stub. I have $550 to play with of which $50 will go on freight. Decisions, decisions...

peterpen53
June 28th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I have been looking at my A list of wants today. I am betting that none of my remaining three M620 Fps will appear on eBay next month as I am keen to buy a Visconti Homo Sapiens - I like the bronze better than the steel. I have also been eyeing off a brand new Pelikan M600 White Tortoise with maybe a custom grind 0.8mm stub. I have $550 to play with of which $50 will go on freight. Decisions, decisions...

That would not be difficult for me. As much as I like Pelikan, and in spite of already owning an HS, I would love one with a stub or a double-broad. :)

peterpen53
June 28th, 2012, 04:47 AM
I love the Sailor one, that would be the ultimate nib fetishers delight!

For me, well, I am luck as I own a few grail pens already but if money were not object there is one pen that I fell hook line and sinker for when it was introduced a few years ago. I fell in love with the amazing details, fell in love with the look. The subject matter the pen is based upon is very dear to my heart as I loved his genius and talent, I am talking of the Mont Blanc Chaplin fountain pen.

When the recent Bonhams auction came up it was one of the very few times I wished I was rich for they had one up for auction. I love that pen! I never say never though, my pen collection is testament to the impossible coming true!

Oh... the winning bid wasn't you?

ianmedium
June 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Sadly no Peter! I think it might be the one pen I would not use, it's more a work of art, I could imagine placing it in a glass dome and have it on my desk and just look at it.. Oh who am I kidding! That puppy would be out of its box, inked and written with within 5 minutes of getting it! Though, it would remain a desk pen rather than a daily carry!

melissa59
June 28th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Brando090, those little mini pens make my heart pound and cause my breath to catch in my chest, just as if I were a little kid let loose in a toy store. Your pen, in its little box is beautiful! That would certainly qualify as a grail pen in my book!

If I had money to burn, I'd probably collect those Peter Pan pens originally sold by the Salz brothers. Yes, I know they are considered low to medium quality pens, but they are just adorable!

As far as grail pens go, I don't know what I'd choose. I think the green striated Pelikan pens are pretty, but it seems that every other collector on these forums has one of those, which kind of diminishes the "wow" factor. I enjoy seeing photos of the writer's edition Montblancs, but tend to view the Montblanc company as too pompous for my taste.

I think I'd choose something really old and really beautiful, like this Mabie Todd with a 14k gold overlay:
http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/MabieTodd/MabieToddEyedroppers.htm
Or, for a newer pen, I might enjoy something like the limited edition pastel pink and silver Sailor Sakura Edo fountain pen that Dan wrote about on FPGeeks in May. Like your little pen, that one caused my heart to skip a beat.

brando090
June 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Brando090, those little mini pens make my heart pound and cause my breath to catch in my chest, just as if I were a little kid let loose in a toy store. Your pen, in its little box is beautiful! That would certainly qualify as a grail pen in my book!

If I had money to burn, I'd probably collect those Peter Pan pens originally sold by the Salz brothers. Yes, I know they are considered low to medium quality pens, but they are just adorable!

As far as grail pens go, I don't know what I'd choose. I think the green striated Pelikan pens are pretty, but it seems that every other collector on these forums has one of those, which kind of diminishes the "wow" factor. I enjoy seeing photos of the writer's edition Montblancs, but tend to view the Montblanc company as too pompous for my taste.

I think I'd choose something really old and really beautiful, like this Mabie Todd with a 14k gold overlay:
http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/MabieTodd/MabieToddEyedroppers.htm
Or, for a newer pen, I might enjoy something like the limited edition pastel pink and silver Sailor Sakura Edo fountain pen that Dan wrote about on FPGeeks in May. Like your little pen, that one caused my heart to skip a beat.

I appreciate someone how can also appreciate vintage pens, seems like everyone at FPGeeks lately have steered clear of vintage pens. I appreciate you loving the quality of the Waterman's World's Smallest Fountain pen, its a great pen and im looking to acquire more silver pens. I also do like those Peter Pan pens, love the colors and the variations, i just fear the small collector community of them and there isn't much resale. As far as Pelikan's, ive only got one, and it's a M200. I love the tortoise pens which i think are in the top collector status of collecting. They are beautiful and expensive.

fountainpenkid
June 28th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I love the parker (it is a lucky curve, right?). The waterman's mini pen is awesome also. I wouldn't consider these grail pens, because they are both more collectable than usable, but still, they are awesome pens! Someday I'd love to see that waterman in person :). My grail pens are the OMAS Dama Arco, and a Pelikan 500 Seagreen.

ianmedium
June 28th, 2012, 05:17 PM
melissa, I love that Mabie Todd! I think as far as vintage goes a double Jewel 51 Vac would be up there for me in terms of grail pens as well. I also love the Wahl Eversharp Doric.

fountainpenkid
June 28th, 2012, 07:27 PM
melissa, I love that Mabie Todd! I think as far as vintage goes a double Jewel 51 Vac would be up there for me in terms of grail pens as well. I also love the Wahl Eversharp Doric.

Yeah, a P51 DJ Vac with a sterling cap in Mustard....:mullet:(I don't know when you would put this emoticon in, but I find it funny :)

brando090
June 28th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I love the parker (it is a lucky curve, right?). The waterman's mini pen is awesome also. I wouldn't consider these grail pens, because they are both more collectable than usable, but still, they are awesome pens! Someday I'd love to see that waterman in person :). My grail pens are the OMAS Dama Arco, and a Pelikan 500 Seagreen.

Correct, a Parker 71 in translucent red. You guys look at grail pens to be new pens, not me :)

fountainpenkid
June 28th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Correct, a Parker 71 in translucent red. You guys look at grail pens to be new pens, not me :)

The P500 is hardly new...it was made in the '50's. The Dama is new though...though it is nearly 15 years old now...

Trillium
July 1st, 2012, 03:34 PM
I think that one of my top "grail pens" would be a psuedo Pelikan 600 / 800 clone. It would likely be an Edison Extended Pearl piston filler in deep red tortoise with a black ebonite cap, section grip and blind cap, gold furniture with a Medium 18kt Edison Nib Stubbed by Pendleton Brown. And if the wallet was not yet bare..... a similarly sized Nakaya Negoror Shiro Tame (just like Lisas'!) with a swanky full flex 14kt nib..... and if there is anything but lint left in the ole wallet.... maybe a modest Danitrio or how about a Steampunk?? It would have to have a ringtop so it could be worn as jewelry! * sigh*.... so many pens..... so few beer cans on the side of the road to pick up! :))

etoyoc
July 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
I really never put any thought into the grail pen idea.. I just dont know... maybe something like this... http://www.nakaya.org/en/review.aspx?id=01021&type=body

KrazyIvan
July 2nd, 2012, 11:05 PM
I don't think I have a grail pen. It implies that the search is over once it is found. I just want to try them all!

peterpen53
July 3rd, 2012, 02:59 AM
I don't think I have a grail pen. It implies that the search is over once it is found. I just want to try them all!

As I posted somewhere else:

Don't worry, there will be more to come...many more...far too many more!

snedwos
August 2nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
I think all my grail pens are collected together in the same room...

http://www.clubestilograficas.com

I went there for the first time today, and it is a magical cave of rainbows and moon dust. Especially as the guy running it is cool with people touching everything and you'd be ok to write with everything if you asked i'm sure. I wrote with the M1000 (which was great, as I finally had a proper idea of the size -- I could easily get used to it, but the MB 149 is defo too big for me.), and an OMAS paragon, and got to hold Parker vacumatics, 1930s kaweco sports, teeny tiny c.1920 waterman ringtops, a Big Red, the red demonstrator OMAS 360... Oh, and the guy who runs the shop makes luxury (very expensive) custom (down to the tiniest detail of form -- it makes Edison's choice look rigid) pens -- including flex nibs. The choice of material is limited to about 3 colours of ebonite, though...

www.romillopens.com

He'll be going to the DC pen show, I don't know if as a member of the public or as a retailer. It was nice to talk to someone in person who had had dealings with Brian Gray.

They don't have a MYU, though. And the MYU is special.

Sorry for the gushing tone, but I have found one of my favourite places in the world.

KrazyIvan
August 2nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
As I posted somewhere else:

Don't worry, there will be more to come...many more...far too many more!

It's a mental thing, so I prefer not to have a grail pen. ;)

grandmia
August 2nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
I think i all ready have mine the 1937 vintage Onoto Magna,although i would like the Onoto Centenary to join it.How ever i recently acquired a beautiful and rare vintage Onoto Mamoth which i am restoring for my collection.So thumbs up for vintage for me....

manoeuver
August 2nd, 2012, 08:06 PM
Just saw Goulet's review of the new SS Lamy 2000. it looks like a lozenge of perfection. oof. want.

brando090
August 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
I think all my grail pens are collected together in the same room...

http://www.clubestilograficas.com

I went there for the first time today, and it is a magical cave of rainbows and moon dust. Especially as the guy running it is cool with people touching everything and you'd be ok to write with everything if you asked i'm sure. I wrote with the M1000 (which was great, as I finally had a proper idea of the size -- I could easily get used to it, but the MB 149 is defo too big for me.), and an OMAS paragon, and got to hold Parker vacumatics, 1930s kaweco sports, teeny tiny c.1920 waterman ringtops, a Big Red, the red demonstrator OMAS 360... Oh, and the guy who runs the shop makes luxury (very expensive) custom (down to the tiniest detail of form -- it makes Edison's choice look rigid) pens -- including flex nibs. The choice of material is limited to about 3 colours of ebonite, though...

www.romillopens.com

He'll be going to the DC pen show, I don't know if as a member of the public or as a retailer. It was nice to talk to someone in person who had had dealings with Brian Gray.

They don't have a MYU, though. And the MYU is special.

Sorry for the gushing tone, but I have found one of my favourite places in the world.

Absolutely beautiful collection!

Okami
August 2nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
I have two Grail pens:

http://www.nibs.com/Nakaya-Long-Ascending-Dragon-Sumiko.html http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/special_orders/Ascending-Dragon-Sumiko-Capped.jpg

and

http://www.nibs.com/NakayaNegoroShiro-tame.html http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/special_orders/PiccoloNegoroShiro-tameCapped.jpg

and then there is this pen http://penquest.com/pens.html#other http://penquest.com/images/pensplus_2597.jpg 3

which I have discussed the possibility of something similar with Ernest Shin, but on an Edison base

brando090
August 3rd, 2012, 12:41 AM
Absolutly stunning! I hope one day to have a collection of handmade pens, but for now, ill stick to metals. I recently showed a colleague these pens, and him not really knowing pens, we both love the art that goes into these pens. I told him id build a house, have a long white hallway with built-ins, and as people walk down the hallway they can look at these handmade fountain pens.

JustDaveyB
August 3rd, 2012, 02:25 AM

I no longer have grail pens they are now number one wants. Actually at the moment I hope a tie for number one. Both are Pelikan M620s, Berlin & Athens, third at this moment is likely to be the Aurora Optima Nero Perla, though I visited a Montblanc boutique today and the Hitchcock Fountain Pen was calling to me, the nice ladies there let me hold it - so I bought the Hitchcock ink instead, along with Collodi and Meisterstuck Diamond inks.

inkypinky
September 17th, 2012, 02:07 AM

You have more than one list? !!!

Bogon07
November 4th, 2012, 08:46 PM
More of a wish list.
Lamy Studio - Royal Red, Pearl Black, Violet, Grey Platinum, Shiny Platinum
Lamy 2000 - a design icon
Lamy Scala - the forgotten Lamy
CP1 - platinum

Visconti Wallstreet - Blue, Green, Red or Silver. I think i like the style better than the Manhattan.
I'm sure I could afford one by laying off gourmet pizza for a year.

Pelikan Sovereign 405 Fountain Pen black & blue stripes
Pelikan M620 Place de la Concorde
Pelikan M101N Lizard

Waterman Perspective black or lightblue with silver trim

TWSBI Micarta - such a unique material

Monteverde Prima Fountain Pen - strangely attracted to the swirly ones.

JustDaveyB
November 4th, 2012, 11:23 PM
More of a wish list.

Visconti Wallstreet - Blue, Green, Red or Silver. I think i like the style better than the Manhattan.

I like the colour matching of the pen wants in your post :)

I have freed up some money (no gourmet pizzas for the next six months :wink: ) and now have $350 available for the Melbourne Pen Show. Though it could have all gone this morning on a couple of bargain M800 from Greg Minuskin's site. How can he sell a M800 with nib for US$160 ???

chad.trent
November 5th, 2012, 06:35 AM
My grail pen is a little unusual I guess. For me it would be a Rotring 600. I bought one new many years ago. I loved it. It stayed on my desk at work and I wrote with it every day. Best writing pen I've ever owned. Never skipped, always smooth.

In 2003 the business was destroyed by a fire, and my pen was destroyed with it. Ever since then I've been on the hunt for a replacement. I've found them, just not any that are in my price range. Yet...

fountainpenkid
November 5th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I'm adding one: Stubby burgundy vacumatic.

Bogon07
November 6th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I like the colour matching of the pen wants in your post :)

I have freed up some money (no gourmet pizzas for the next six months :wink: ) and now have $350 available for the Melbourne Pen Show. Though it could have all gone this morning on a couple of bargain M800 from Greg Minuskin's site. How can he sell a M800 with nib for US$160 ???
All the best with those M800s and you'd have about $30 for ink or a celebratory meal.

Chad.trent good luck with your Rotring 600 quest. Some people are also after their mechanical pencils.
I stil have two Rotring rapidograph drawing pens tucked away.

JustDaveyB
November 6th, 2012, 02:28 AM
All the best with those M800s and you'd have about $30 for ink or a celebratory meal.

Chad.trent good luck with your Rotring 600 quest. Some people are also after their mechanical pencils.

I resisted the temptation and still have the money for Melbourne

chad.trent
November 6th, 2012, 06:31 AM

I have a ballpoint and mechanical pencil to match the fountain pen. I bought them as a set, but only the FP was at work when the fire happened.

MrClockWork
November 27th, 2012, 09:13 AM
If I can dream where money is no object then I would love to have a Sailor KOP but MAN is that thing pricey!

Back on planet Earth I would love to get my hands on a Sailor 1911 Large and/or a tuned TWSBI Micarta.

Bogon07
December 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM
More of a wish list.
CP1 - platinum

Pelikan M101N Lizard

Ending the year with a splurge to cross-off Lamy Studio - Royal Red & Grey Platinum & the CP1 platinum.

Maybe thinking of a Pelikan205 Taupe for the future :)