PDA

View Full Version : Mr first pen case!

ianmedium
June 28th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hi Folks. I can't believe it has taken me so long (41 years of fountain pen use!) to actually get a dedicated case for my fountain pens!

I always have my Timbuk2 courier bag with when I am out and about so have kept the pens wrapped in lens cloths in the pen sections (this is one of the few bags out there with pen sections actually big enough to hold large fountain pens!) up until now. I think it was the arrival of both the Stipula and Hitchcock that made me come to my senses about being a little more protective with my pens.

Now, I am quite careful with the pennies so I looked for something well made but at a good price. I found a seller on ebay who had cases that looked like they would fit my oversized pens and I messaged him if he had a four pen carrier. He did and it turned out, like Peyton street pens he had a separate website so I could save on added eBay fees.. Great!

It was also great that the business is in Canada so no waiting weeks for delivery from outside the country.

I purchased the case from http://www.penchant.ca/ .Heinz is a great guy to deal with, he even found a way to ship it cheaper to me and refunded some of the shipping payment, great service I feel and I like promoting good businesses and people!

So, to the case! I chose a lovely bright red leather four pen case. The leather has a stonewashed nubuck look to it, Stitching is first class and all my pens fit with ease though I did have to widen one slot with my finger to accommodate the cap band on the Stipula (Heinz's suggestion). Most of my pens are oversized, that is a 149 in there and you can see how easy it fits!

As you can see from the pictures all the pens are very well protected. The quality of the leather is excellent and construction and feel make me feel this case will last a very long time indeed. The smell reminds me of Spanish leather which I always associate with higher quality

The closure is very simple, a strap of leather is stitched across the case and the generous flap tucks in and keeps every thing secure.

I save the best till last though! The case cost $18 CAD! Genuine leather, great construction and great customer service. I am very happy.

I know this sounds like an infomercial but it is not. I have no connection with Heinz other than very satisfied customer!

Here are some pictures, hope you liked the mini review!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010221.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010218.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010219.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010220.jpg

fountainpenkid
June 28th, 2012, 02:13 PM
beautiful!

writingrav
June 28th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Terrific deal, beautiful case. I'm checking out that web site right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fountainpenkid
June 28th, 2012, 03:04 PM
im getting one for sure now that I read your topic fully and found the link :) I think I'll get the 3 pen case though...

melissa59
June 28th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Wow, I really like that case!
I like the color, the style, the size.
Perfect!!

ianmedium
June 28th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks so much folks. One of my fellow pen club members has the antique brown leather one which is lovely as well. I have just put the case in my Courier bag and it fits in one of the pockets perfectly! I am really loving the red!

Well done FPkid, I am really looking forward to your thoughts on it!

Bogon07
June 28th, 2012, 04:16 PM
That leather is an incredible colour and it looks so tactile - your photos really capture the surface detail.
The pens appear very well secured and protected too.
The price seems extremely affordable for a genuine leather product.

Lt. Tom
June 28th, 2012, 05:20 PM
After seeing your review and your pictures, I went straight to their site to order one!

"This category does not contain any products at this time."

Apparently I was too slow? The four pen case is exactly what I'm looking for right now, so I've bookmarked it. It's only a matter of time, now..........

ianmedium
June 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM
After seeing your review and your pictures, I went straight to their site to order one!

"This category does not contain any products at this time."

Apparently I was too slow? The four pen case is exactly what I'm looking for right now, so I've bookmarked it. It's only a matter of time, now..........

I would email Heinz, Mine was not on show either. I know he mentioned to me he had them in Brown and red and black was on order. Hope that helps, I am looking forward to hearing what you think of it when you get it

peterpen53
June 29th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Very nice case, Ian, and a real good catch. Looks like you've been a buyer in a previous life :).

The colour... it looks a bit like Hitchcock ink red?? (got my Hitchcock ink reserved, if I'm lucky I will pick it up later today :rockon: )

I'm just curious why you put the Tuscan Dreams' clip inside the sleeve. I thought it had some spring action, or is it for protection?

ianmedium
June 29th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Ahh, Peter, if you only knew! It is funny, I have spurts of buying things and then nothing for ages. This has been one of those times where things have come together to get some bargains which also appeal to my heart. The 51 last night was pure emotion and we shall see if I have to pay for that emotion! In my experience though it ends up like this pen wallet or the pens or few other things I own that they become lifelong companions!

Believe it or not I can fit my entire material life in to two bags of around 120 litres each.. And have space over! I have lived like that for the past 13 years! I suppose that is why what I do have is small and portable, my little portable headphone based HiFi system, some wristwatches and fountain pens and thats it!

As to the Tuscan dreams, I think it is me being cautious, the clip is sprung and I am sure that it is as strong as any other clip but I think because of the beauty of it I am more cautious with it. What surprised me is that though the clip on the Hitchcock is not functional it does have enough room to be able to slip the leather under.

KrazyIvan
June 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Nice case with some seriously nice pens inside. :)

fountainpenkid
June 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Just made the $20 in a gardening job! I think I'll order it today (3 pen version, tan)

ianmedium
June 29th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Well done FPkid. Hard work in the summer weather, well earned I am sure. KI, thank you very much. I have to admit I keep pinching myself that I am lucky enough to have the ones I do!