lsmith42
September 3rd, 2014, 01:08 PM
What?

Jon Szanto
September 3rd, 2014, 01:09 PM
Fancy ass pens?

fountainpenkid
September 3rd, 2014, 01:35 PM
I've always thought about some luxury pen company doing this, and now it's happened.

mmahany
September 3rd, 2014, 02:17 PM
Montblanc made a stylus pen a number of years ago. At least these look like they'd belong next to other Montblanc pens (the previous version left a bit to be desired).

I see no reason to oppose the concept. It's just another product that caters to a different target audience.

KBeezie
September 3rd, 2014, 02:31 PM
I've always thought about some luxury pen company doing this, and now it's happened.

Well Leica and Panasonic teamed up... so not that surprising, though very cheapish in my opinion. And you should see what happened when Hasselblad and Sony teamed up.

I guess a pen was the next logical step to ruining a classic older technology.

Wait... wouldn't that make them Montegrappa?

Jon Szanto
September 3rd, 2014, 02:33 PM
Montblanc is calling the new S Pen Pix and e-StarWalker. It hasn’t be revealed if they have any special technology inside apart from the black resin exterior and design that the luxury brand is known for. However the luxury S Pen do feature swappable tips that can recreate different pen nibs on the new phablet.

Clever.

Tony Rex
September 3rd, 2014, 02:50 PM
Galaxy Note user here. I wouldn't mind having those, as long as I don't have to pay. The sheer inconvenience to uncap (even a slip cap) alone is enough for me to not ever buy them over the built in one.

Plus you'd need to adjust your writing angle on each pen to match the cursor to nib position if you have multiple s-pens. Inherent in the technology.

Edit: Montegrappa et al. were either resistive dumb nib (as in Nintendo DS) or just capacitive gimmick pen to emulate fingertips. These are Wacom type with a lot more tech in them.

Silverbreeze
September 3rd, 2014, 02:59 PM
Galaxy Note user here. I wouldn't mind having those, as long as I don't have to pay. The sheer inconvenience to uncap (even a slip cap) alone is enough for me to not ever buy them over the built in one.

Plus you'd need to adjust your writing angle on each pen to match the cursor to nib position if you have multiple s-pens.

That was my point

WHY

then the normal S Pen has a bult in holder and a buttons

top pen
September 3rd, 2014, 03:04 PM
The one thing that surprised me a little is that Montblanc didn't pair up with apple (I know apple don't currently have sophisticated stylus) as I thought the sort of clientele that buy Mont blanc pens would more likely be apple customers this appears to be to be the case for some fairly loyal MB fans on a similar discussion on the other forum.

My sister bought a note 3 a few weeks ago and stylus does seem a neat accessory but I doubt she would ever consider buying a fancy stylus for £50 let alone a few hundred pound. I will be interested to see how long this concept lasts for.

KBeezie
September 3rd, 2014, 11:55 PM
The one thing that surprised me a little is that Montblanc didn't pair up with apple (I know apple don't currently have sophisticated stylus) as I thought the sort of clientele that buy Mont blanc pens would more likely be apple customers this appears to be to be the case for some fairly loyal MB fans on a similar discussion on the other forum.

My sister bought a note 3 a few weeks ago and stylus does seem a neat accessory but I doubt she would ever consider buying a fancy stylus for £50 let alone a few hundred pound. I will be interested to see how long this concept lasts for.

Could it be because they're more sought after and well known to an Asian manufacture than to an American one?

I'd see Lamy as being a more appropriate pairing to Apple than Montblanc, due to their "simplicity" in their pens which seem to reflect the same kind of design and simplicity that is shown on an Apple product.

Also what exact Apple product would they be trying to market a Stylus for? (they don't really seem to be attracted to the idea of having to use anything other than your fingers for their tablets and touch surfaces).

Silverbreeze
September 4th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Simplicity and it just works

That's Franklin-Christoph to me

Pens at Artisan prices that I feel are worth it

Edison, plus I trust Brian Grey

As for why a Stylus:
1. Winter
2. Precision

Why Apple doesn't care
1. They are based in CA. Notice both Samsung and Microsoft are trying for decent stylus
2. Apple touch displays lack precision sensors

Of course there is a rumor they may be doing a 12 inch iPad Pro so

GING GING
September 5th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Did MONT BLANC DESIGN THIS NEW STYLUS? It looks different from all other styluses

Silverbreeze
September 5th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Did MONT BLANC DESIGN THIS NEW STYLUS? It looks different from all other styluses

The Samsung Pix and e-StarWriter

Yup they had a Mont Blanc VP on stage introducing it

GING GING
September 5th, 2014, 09:59 PM

The Samsung Pix and e-StarWriter

Yup they had a Mont Blanc VP on stage introducing it

Okay. So I would imagine samsung designed the nib and Mont Blanc wrapped their pen around it.

GING GING
September 5th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Hey Silver breeze. I saw a pic that someone had photo shopped. It was a MontBlanc with an Adonit nib I thought that's what this was. I was completely thinking about something different.

Silverbreeze
September 6th, 2014, 05:31 AM
Naw these be them

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/06/16d270f612029a8e3f54cfee74eba5c5.jpg
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/09/samsung-and-montblanc-make-premium-s-pen-for-galaxy-note-4/

They are S Pens with a rollerball shell, and a ballpoint

I am unclear how you use the ballpoint right now

My issue is MontBlanc know nothing about Styli exspecally active ones: How do you charge it or change the battery?

Tony Rex
September 6th, 2014, 05:49 AM
My issue is MontBlanc know nothing about Styli exspecally active ones: How do you charge it or change the battery?

You don't. There's no battery in them. You need to have a Samsung Galaxy Note phone or tablet to use them. They won't work with anything else.

Silverbreeze
September 6th, 2014, 06:47 AM
I thought s-pens are active styli
In fact they have to be to use that hover spiral menu thing

I don't have a note but I have played with one

You don't. There's no battery in them. You need to have a Samsung Galaxy Note phone or tablet to use them. They won't work with anything else.

Tony Rex
September 6th, 2014, 07:34 AM
It's active alright. The S-pen was based on Wacom's technology. The stylii are powered by magnetic resonance from the device, therefore no batteries are needed. The hover thing is the reach limit of the field, and was utilised by Samsung as a mouse over. And just like Wacom tablets, they are pressure sensitive with line variation etc. (although you can't use S-pen stylus on an Intuos! I've tried)

Basically, Montblanc just put on fancy casings around the S-pen stylii for Samsung Galaxy Note users. And specifically, for the upcoming Note 4.

Whenever I post a pic, I always sign it with the S-Pen for watermark.

mmahany
September 6th, 2014, 08:49 AM
It's active alright. The S-pen was based on Wacom's technology. The stylii are powered by magnetic resonance from the device, therefore no batteries are needed. The hover thing is the reach limit of the field, and was utilised by Samsung as a mouse over. And just like Wacom tablets, they are pressure sensitive with line variation etc. (although you can't use S-pen stylus on an Intuos! I've tried)

Basically, Montblanc just put on fancy casings around the S-pen stylii for Samsung Galaxy Note users. And specifically, for the upcoming Note 4.

Whenever I post a pic, I always sign it with the S-Pen for watermark.

The audaciy of them!

Tony Rex
September 6th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Yeah, why not..

the e-StarWalker is set to retail for $US525 while the Pix will set you back $US350.

Meanwhile, back on Earth: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S-Pen-Stylus-Holder/dp/B0076Z3GMG

Silverbreeze
September 6th, 2014, 10:10 AM
If I had a note I might want a holder buy the bonus for me of the note is the s-pen storage bay so ......

Yeah, why not..

the e-StarWalker is set to retail for $US525 while the Pix will set you back $US350.

Meanwhile, back on Earth: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S-Pen-Stylus-Holder/dp/B0076Z3GMG

mmahany
September 6th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Yeah, why not..

I'm starting to think I'm the only one that sees the irony of this thread.

"Why would anyone spend that kind of money on a stylus that performs the same job as one that costs $20?"
"It's basically a $20 stylus housed in a Montblanc casing."

Substitute the word "Stylus" for "Fountain Pen" and the Montblanc, Pelikan, waterman, and Italian pen subsections don’t exist.

Substitute “$20” for $1 and this entire forum doesn’t exist.

This is a forum dedicated to people who believe luxury writing instruments offer value beyond the free ballpoint left in hotel rooms. To 99% of the population, that’s ludicrous.

What I find ironic is that these same people often try to convince others why they own a pen that cost more than $50, yet balk at the price of a luxury stylus.

Ultimately, my thought process can be simplified down to one quote “Price is only an issue in the absence of value.”

To put that into perspective, the $7 “organic” milk isn’t even a consideration to me. I’m perfectly happy with the grocery store brand that costs $3.50. However, I’ll happily spend several hundred dollars on a luxury writing instrument.

Silverbreeze
September 6th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Ah but you see a Pilot Falcon writes differently then a Pilot Varsity

Any of my Edisons write differently then my Twisbi or Noodler's

Those differences is why I have different pens

This is a pen that is being sold specially for a device it doesn't fit

That's like Hobonichi selling a pen that doesn't fit their leather covers at the same premium as the cover

Yeah, why not..

I'm starting to think I'm the only one that sees the irony of this thread.

"Why would anyone spend that kind of money on a stylus that performs the same job as one that costs $20?"
"It's basically a $20 stylus housed in a Montblanc casing."

Substitute the word "Stylus" for "Fountain Pen" and the Montblanc, Pelikan, waterman, and Italian pen subsections don’t exist.

Substitute “$20” for $1 and this entire forum doesn’t exist.

This is a forum dedicated to people who believe luxury writing instruments offer value beyond the free ballpoint left in hotel rooms. To 99% of the population, that’s ludicrous.

What I find ironic is that these same people often try to convince others why they own a pen that cost more than $50, yet balk at the price of a luxury stylus.

Ultimately, my thought process can be simplified down to one quote “Price is only an issue in the absence of value.”

To put that into perspective, the $7 “organic” milk isn’t even a consideration to me. I’m perfectly happy with the grocery store brand that costs $3.50. However, I’ll happily spend several hundred dollars on a luxury writing instrument.

mmahany
September 6th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Ah but you see a Pilot Falcon writes differently then a Pilot Varsity

Any of my Edisons write differently then my Twisbi or Noodler's

Those differences is why I have different pens

This is a pen that is being sold specially for a device it doesn't fit

That's like Hobonichi selling a pen that doesn't fit their leather covers at the same premium as the cover
After your post, I thought of a similar comparison, what if Montblanc sold a pen that didn’t fit their leather covers?

I decided to test that concern:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/mmahany/Mobile%20Uploads/20140906_114633_zpsqes881xw.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/mmahany/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140906_114633_zpsqes881xw.jpg.html)

If you notice, my 114 mozart doesn’t fit in my 149 stand. Furthermore, my 149 didn’t even fit in my Montblanc leather wallet. I’m now worried that my 149 is too large to fit in my 114 leather cover.

Frankly, I’m a bit worried. Why would Montblanc do this? The only explanation I could possibly come up with is that Montblanc offers different products (some performing very similar tasks) meant for different applications.

Tony Rex
September 6th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Dear Montblanc (et Samsung),

No deal. Period.

Regards,
Target Audience

GING GING
September 6th, 2014, 01:17 PM
It has neat factor, but I won't be buying one. It only works on a Samsung tablet. Advertising along with Apple bashing and media hype have raised Samsungs stock to an undeserved place next to apple. I'm gonna go ahead and predict: This will do a belly flop.