PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 Double Desk Pen Set on Marble Base

RayCornett
September 4th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Double Parker 51 desk set on marble base was gifted to me last night! A guy I barely know who I met through my local lapidary, and in the 3 times I have met him I know he has a heart of gold and loves making people happy, saw this recently on some site being given away and he got it for me. I just got it last night. Absolutely pristine, never been inked, sacs are fine, just needs a little polishing.

A couple people have mentioned it being from the early 60s but I have no idea really. I see no date code anywhere. The clutch ring is also beveled into a V and if I recall at one time were they not just flat grooves?13848138491385013851

Hawk
September 4th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Wow, beautiful. You are very fortunate.

ac12
September 4th, 2014, 09:14 PM
You mention sacks.
If the pens are Parker 51s, the sacks will last a LONG LONG time.
Just rinse and soak the pens to make sure there is no ink inside, and off you go.

N-Joy the pens.

RayCornett
September 5th, 2014, 04:54 PM
No ink whatsoever. Unused. I just got the brass that is glued to the marble polished up. I may have a master engraver friend engrave the name plate for me. I inked them up a few minutes ago. One blue, one black. I figured they should have some nice document signing colors. I am letting them sit a while before using to double check for any seepage or leaks before doing a write test.

ac12
September 5th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I would have done one in a doc signing color (blue or black) and the 2nd in YOUR favorite color.

And how can you resist not writing with the pens???

Ernst Bitterman
September 6th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I've got a set like this with Octanium points, and it's a delight. The donor is a grand person indeed!

The only item of advice I have to offer is to not put red in one of them. This was my way of using it (in an office setting, where I need to apply red now and then). Unless one is a dedicated red-user, it clogs.

RayCornett
September 8th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I will fill with my favorite in one of them next. Which ever is empty first. They write nearly perfectly. Slightly dry on horizontal lines to the right but that's a simple fix.

RayCornett
September 8th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I also found out that the base is not normal marble as I assumed. It is either Pakistan Onyx or Pedrera Onyx which Cross also used with some of their desk sets. I want to find a slab of it from my rock hound friends and make a couple personal ink bottle holders to match the base.

RayCornett
September 8th, 2014, 10:49 AM
I also found out that the base is not normal marble as I assumed. It is either Pakistan Onyx or Pedrera Onyx which Cross also used with some of their desk sets. I want to find a slab of it from my rock hound friends and make a couple personal ink bottle holders to match the base.