PDA

View Full Version : A moment of madness and though it worth the risk, what do you think? Vac51

ianmedium
June 28th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Well. I was just perusing ebay on this wet evening and spied with only 6 minutes to go a grey Parker 51 Vac in what looks to be really great condition though I am not sure if the vac is in working order. If not I know someone in our club who can fix that for probably $20-30 so I thought this worth the risk. But you never know, it may work. I hope to hear from the seller and will let you know.

The reason I went for it is that I got it for $51! Now, I am not the greatest when it comes to prices on these things but I think my money is safe, what do you think?

Here are the sellers pictures.

ianmedium
June 28th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Just had a message from the seller and it is looking good, he said the plunger moves firmly and springs back. Can it be, an excellent condition vac 51 working all for $51. Oh what a month it has been for fountain pens!

peterpen53
June 29th, 2012, 02:30 AM
I have absolutely no idea about these things but judging by the pictures it looks quite good! And if indeed in working condition, what more could you want? We have already established they're better than modern Parkers.
I'd say: nice catch, Ian!

writingrav
June 29th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Looks like a great catch to me. Congratulations!

ianmedium
June 29th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys. I have been looking around and it seems similar ones in good condition like this and working are going for anywhere between $100-$200 so I think even if it ends up needing a re-sac I should be OK in terms of not getting stung money-wise. The seller offers a full refund if not satisfied as well so nothing to lose really apart from postage. But I have a feeling about this pen, we will see!

manoeuver
June 29th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I hope your luck keeps up, Ian. Hope you don't mind if I live vicariously through your pens for a while.

ianmedium
June 29th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks so much, I hope you experience the same good fortune i have. I feel very fortunate I can tell you!

KrazyIvan
June 29th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I don't know anything about those Parker's but I hope you get many years of good writing out of it!

snedwos
September 8th, 2012, 05:36 PM
What an awesome price for the pen! Now, where can I get a MB 149 for $149? But I definitely don't want a TWSBI 540 for $540...

jar
September 8th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys. I have been looking around and it seems similar ones in good condition like this and working are going for anywhere between $100-$200 so I think even if it ends up needing a re-sac I should be OK in terms of not getting stung money-wise. The seller offers a full refund if not satisfied as well so nothing to lose really apart from postage. But I have a feeling about this pen, we will see!

Don't trust the moves freely and springs back as a test. It's best to get it rebuilt right away. That test can tell you that everything is just great except for the ho;es that will let the ink out in your best shirt pocket just before the important meeting.

grandmia
September 18th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Hi Ian...Happy days,nice buy.Have a go at servicing it there quite easy as long as you take your time.....