PDA

View Full Version : Filled Notebooks

snzviola
September 7th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Hello!

I was just wondering what every one does with their notebooks when they are all filled up. It would be nice to know what the notebook was used for and what happened when it was full.

I personally just keep all of my notebooks in a drawer in my desk, regardless of what the notebook was used for. What about you guys?

Waski_the_Squirrel
September 8th, 2014, 12:25 AM
It depends on the notebook. The ones that were part of my novel writing are saved. The ones which are full of junk are junked. I like to shred them and use the results as the carbon part of my compost.

Llewellyn
September 8th, 2014, 03:34 AM
I've been keeping a daily journal for about 10 months now, so when I finish a notebook (all A5) I label it with the start and finish date and put it in a spare gap on a bookcase. When there are too many for the bookcase I guess I'll have to store them somewhere else.

writingrav
September 8th, 2014, 04:35 AM
I have file boxes from Staples. They are long and flat and fit under the couch in my office. I've stored almost four years worth of journals so far though I still haven't committed to not shredding them all someday.

VertOlive
September 8th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Well, the grocery list notebooks discard themselves as I pull a sheet out on shopping day. The personal journals go on a shelf. Hope I remember to burn them before I die, since they're mostly used for pressure release (rants and venting these days) !

rdcalhoon
September 8th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Well, the grocery list notebooks discard themselves as I pull a sheet out on shopping day. The personal journals go on a shelf. Hope I remember to burn them before I die, since they're mostly used for pressure release (rants and venting these days) !

I like the idea of keeping a gripe and rant book and then having a ceremony to burn it when full. Better not to keep that stuff in the shelf, I think.

Lady Onogaro
September 8th, 2014, 11:29 AM
There's an interesting article in this month's Poets and Writers in which three writers talk about their journals and whether to keep or shred. Most shred or burn after a while. I suppose I can see that--it could be cathartic. While I understand why people mourn that we don't have this person's journal or that person's journal, we make the assumption that they knew that people would want to read those journals. Some of them might not have had the foresight to think that anyone would want to see their journals. And then of course, if they are like mine, there's a fair bit of whining that goes on that I don't think anyone would want to read.

tandaina
September 8th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Depends. The ones I jot notes and stuff in through the day for work or whatever I keep a few years and then tend to purge. More journal type books just go on the shelf, though since I don't tend to read them again I suppose those too could be recycled. But maybe someday someonew ill want to read my rambling. Who knows.

Quantum Sailor
September 8th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Mine are mostly filled with math and physics...more math than physics, and I tend to just toss them when full because in my case the usefulness is working through all of it on paper. If I need to learn it again I will need to work through it again. I'm not sure what I'll do with the books I'm using for writing practice.

zzdia
September 8th, 2014, 06:52 PM
I've tossed all my old school notebooks, but kept all my journals (mostly a5) for the past 10 years. Nowadays, I use a bunch of 3.5"x5" notebooks for a lot of different things and I just stick them in a box. I'll probably think about what I'll do with them if I fill up my box. I'm not really one for throwing notebooks out, though.