PDA

View Full Version : Kultur Nib Drying Out

pajaro
September 8th, 2014, 07:53 AM
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/8495-Repair-questions-for-inexpensive-pens-(Noodler-s-Konrad-and-Waterman-Kultur)

The link above refers to a thread in the repair column where there is a complaint about Kultur nibs drying out, and that this is a known problem. I have not heard of this until reading this thread. Is this really a known problem?

broadoblique
September 8th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I haven't noticed anything unusual. Certainly nothing "like crazy". Perhaps the ink.

Pajaro! I think it was you who asked a while ago about the Bexley with Man 100 section. Mike Vanness has them listed on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221541163101?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) for $125 new and shipped - not much more than the cost of the section. I got an ebonite with L nib and am very pleased with it. The L nib grinds to a slightly broader cursive italic than the stub. They are the same diameter, slightly shorter and lighter than the Man 1. The acrylics are nice colors, nicely done, low priced alternatives to the Patrician I guess. I got the ebonite since Waterman didn't make one. And it's very highly polished, dense, and smooth for ebonite.

mrcharlie
September 8th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I've never had an official "Kultur"; I have two of the HD Free Wheel models (which are basically the same thing) and no problems with this.

But there is at least one thread about this issue I remember reading on FPN at least 2 years ago where more than one person seemed to be having it. People talked about putting a drop of glue somewhere in the cap to cure the problem. I did have a similar problem with a cheap Jinhao 500 which I cured by filling the brass tube inside the cap that secures the finial and seemed to be the source of the air leak with white glue using a plastic bulb pipette, letting it dry/cure for a couple days, and it has worked well.

pajaro
September 8th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I haven't noticed anything unusual. Certainly nothing "like crazy". Perhaps the ink.

Pajaro! I think it was you who asked a while ago about the Bexley with Man 100 section. Mike Vanness has them listed on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221541163101?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) for $125 new and shipped - not much more than the cost of the section. I got an ebonite with L nib and am very pleased with it. The L nib grinds to a slightly broader cursive italic than the stub. They are the same diameter, slightly shorter and lighter than the Man 1. The acrylics are nice colors, nicely done, low priced alternatives to the Patrician I guess. I got the ebonite since Waterman didn't make one. And it's very highly polished, dense, and smooth for ebonite.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had any issues with Kultur drying out. Mainly I use the four Lara Croft pens. They are fun.

The Bexley I must have forgotten about. That's a great nib and a broad CI would be fun. Thanks.

pajaro
September 8th, 2014, 09:30 PM
I've never had an official "Kultur"; I have two of the HD Free Wheel models (which are basically the same thing) and no problems with this.

But there is at least one thread about this issue I remember reading on FPN at least 2 years ago where more than one person seemed to be having it. People talked about putting a drop of glue somewhere in the cap to cure the problem. I did have a similar problem with a cheap Jinhao 500 which I cured by filling the brass tube inside the cap that secures the finial and seemed to be the source of the air leak with white glue using a plastic bulb pipette, letting it dry/cure for a couple days, and it has worked well.

Well, someone has had a cap issue. I'll have to watch mine more closely.

Thanks.