PDA

View Full Version : Flying Pens

Truppi327
June 30th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I'm taking a flight to visit family for a week and would like to take some pens. Pens I bring will need to be full since I do not want to fly with ink bottles.

I have successfully flown with my Esterbrooks and TWSBIs filled, stored nib up, and not uncapped in flight so they will be making the trip.

But I have a couple other pens I'd like to bring but I'm not sure if they are considered "safe to fly." I don't want a leaky, inky mess because of the clean up but mostly because I won't be bringing ink to put back in the pen.

I have two Edison Nouveau Premieres and a Stipula Passaporto that I fill with an eyedropper. Will they make it through the flight without burping? I always felt like it was probably not a good idea to fly with ED pens but I may be wrong.

Are all Parker 51s engineered to not leak in the air or is that just the flighter models?

Thoughts on flying with an Ahab? I guess as long as it is completely full it wouldn't be troublesome.

I would think I'd be safe with a Lamy 2K since the piston filler TWSBIs fly well.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

:cool:

ink mixer
June 30th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I have had no problems with CC pens, but I haven't flown with my either of my Edisons.

writingrav
June 30th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I had no trouble with any except the Ahab as an ED which did make a bit of a mess. The vac 700 and the 540 both could be used without a problem even for in flight writing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Truppi327
June 30th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the tips Mixer and Rav.

I'm going to leave my Edisons Nouveaus and my other eyedropper fillers at home, I'll have to struggle through somehow. The Edisons each hold about a half gallon of ink and I would hate to have to mop all that up if the air expanded inside the barrels and burped it all into the cap.

fountainpenkid
July 1st, 2012, 05:39 AM
I would say go with as piston filler when flying. They hold enough ink, but don't have the burping problem of EDs.

Will

mhguda
July 1st, 2012, 06:22 AM
I've never taken an eyedropper-filled fountain pen flying, but my Hero 330 (copy of the Parker 51) had no problems, nor did those with other converters or cartridges. I don't even fill them all up - I always travel with spare cartridges, just in case. Been doing it for decades, really. I never gave it a thought before I found the fountain pen fora, to tell the truth. And I used them in flight, too, all the time.

KrazyIvan
July 2nd, 2012, 11:24 PM
I have flown with my TWSBI 530, Lamy Vista and a Jinhao. I did not fill them all the way but I remembered to place them nib up but I found them sideways when I got to my destination. Nothing happened. Not a drop of ink in the caps. No ED experience flying.

necrotic
August 11th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Resurrecting an old thread here (no other recent threads came up on my search). I have flown before without incident but just got back from a trip where my pilot metropolitan leaked all over... It was a short trip so I didn't want to have to bring ink or refill the convertor. I filled up the night before leaving... Big mess. Thankfully it didn't ruin my bag or anything. Took a long while to get all the ink out of the cap between the metal and plastic pieces. I'm still not ready to trust it 100% and carry it in any dress shirt pockets. I did store it nib up during flight but I guess being full caused the leak? Not sure if it happened on the initial decompression or what. Any other thoughts from those more experienced?

tandaina
August 11th, 2015, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't fly with sac pens, but you've flown with an Esterbrook. Honestly after that everything else is nothing.

I fly frequently and always with fountain pens. I store them nib up for takeoff. I use them in flight (once pressure is equalized) and I don't worry about descent. Never had an issue. And strangely the TSA has never blinked twice at them either, even when I took a Visconti ink pot *full* of ink. Not so much as a second look.