PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Henrico Virginia:

TNDent
June 30th, 2012, 12:58 PM
My first experience with a fountain pen was sneaking my grandfathers old Parker golden pearl Vacumatic out of my grandmother's desk. It did not work - the vacuum mechanism was (and is) broken. All I did was look at it. It seemed magical to me. When she passed the only thing I asked for was that pen.

My first "quality" fountain pen purchase came in 2008. I work for a company that's HQ'd in Europe. I noticed when my Swiss & German colleagues visited they would take their fountain pens out of the leather pouches and place both very precisely next to their portfolios. So, when I was asked to move to Switzerland for a short time I purchased my first fountain pen and of course a decent watch.

Subsequent FP purchases have been based on visual appeal, writing test drive and price point. All new pens. I have decided it is time to learn a bit more about all fountain pens and repairs. It would mean a great deal to me to repair my grandfather's pen myself.

So here I am. Grüezi mitenand! or Hi all y'all!

Terrill

melissa59
June 30th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Hi there, TNDent and welcome to FPGeeks.

What a wonderful story about your grandfather's pen. I so wish I had a pen that belonged to one of my grandparents!!

This is a nice forum, lots of friendly people, great articles several times a week and awesome podcasts with fun and informative fountain pen folks!

On the downside, there does not seem to be a lot of repair types hanging out on this forum. For that, you might want to check out Fountain Pen Network, which has a Parker forum and a Repair Q&A forum.

Melissa

TNDent
June 30th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Thank you Melissa!

I have noticed on this forum that if the info is not here someone can tell you where to find it. I'll check out the Parker Forum.

Thanks again.

ink mixer
June 30th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Welcome. I was happy to take possession of my father's first serious fountain pen.

KrazyIvan
June 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay.

Parker Quink Turquoise
July 1st, 2012, 06:40 AM
Welcome to the site.

fountainpenkid
July 2nd, 2012, 12:11 PM
welcome!

goldiesdad
July 3rd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Welcome from us in Austin, Texas ...

Bogon07
July 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Hello and Welcome to the FPG forum.

TonicLime
July 4th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Welcome!

dannzeman
July 6th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Sounds like you'll fit right in. Welcome, and make yourself at home.

rapid_butterfly
July 10th, 2012, 01:37 PM
greetings from a fellow central va'er.

jfsisler
July 11th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Welcome! I grew up a stone's throw from Henrico (ok, Chester, I admit it:)) but live in MA now.

RB, which part of VA are you from?

Welcome to you both - hope you enjoy your stay:)

FP_GaF
July 11th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Grüezi, Servus, and welcome aboard.

southpaw52
July 11th, 2012, 01:27 PM
A big hello and a hearty welcome.

KrazyIvan
July 12th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I forgot to ask, but if you order from Goulet pens, you probably get your shipments next day, right?

Sleepyside
July 17th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Welcome!

If you would care to make a short trip south (well, 3 hours), the Triangle Pen Club will be looking at pens that need repairs. Ross might be able to give you pointers on doing it yourself or even tell you if it's easily fixable or needs an expert to look at it. Meeting is at 2:00 on July 29 at Mad Hatter in Durham.

writingrav
July 17th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Welcome!

manoeuver
July 17th, 2012, 02:16 PM
heeeey. hello.

TNDent
July 26th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I've never ordered from Goulet pens. But after your question I checked out the website. Saw some good info.

TNDent
July 26th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hi!

TNDent
July 26th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Grüezi, Servus, and welcome aboard.

Merci Vielmal!

TNDent
July 26th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Welcome!

If you would care to make a short trip south (well, 3 hours), the Triangle Pen Club will be looking at pens that need repairs. Ross might be able to give you pointers on doing it yourself or even tell you if it's easily fixable or needs an expert to look at it. Meeting is at 2:00 on July 29 at Mad Hatter in Durham.

Thank you for the lead. Unfortunately work and studying for multiple Information Systems certifications have taken over my weekends. Hopefully next time.

TNDent
July 26th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Welcome from us in Austin, Texas ...

I used to live on Bergstrom AFB when I was a small child. It is now Austin's international airport. I was quite ticked off at my parents when we moved to southwest Virginia.

fountainpenkid
July 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM
welcome! +1,00000 to goulet pens!

Will

brando090
July 28th, 2012, 08:26 PM
NM.

Rich L
July 28th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Welcome! So what Swiss pens did you get :) And the Swiss watch? They're difficult to find. One time while in Zermatt my wife and I got to actually touch a $180,000 Lange & Söhne. After touching it as if it were a hot potato (potatoe) we said in unison, "Put it away, now!"

Again, welcome.

TNDent
July 29th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Welcome! So what Swiss pens did you get :) And the Swiss watch? They're difficult to find. One time while in Zermatt my wife and I got to actually touch a $180,000 Lange & Söhne. After touching it as if it were a hot potato (potatoe) we said in unison, "Put it away, now!"

Again, welcome.

Thanks for the welcome!

Bought the pen and watch before moving to Aargau. Wanted to take a well made American watch with me. Just part of my obstinate nature. Got a Hamilton. My new Swiss born boss spotted it right away and told me Hamilton was the only good American watch. Not saying I agree with him but i scored points. Alas, Hamilton is now owned by Swatch, a Swiss company. Yep, I saw some outrageous prices in Zurich. Even shops in the train stations carried $100K watches.

Oddly a retractable nib Pilot I bought on a trip back home got the most attention. Both my then VP and the Head of Finance have one. It's probably because you don't have to recap them during long meetings. That's why I bought mine.

Terrill
via iPad

KrazyIvan
July 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I've never ordered from Goulet pens. But after your question I checked out the website. Saw some good info.

I am just realizing that I probably follow you on Instagram.

TNDent
July 29th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I am just realizing that I probably follow you on Instagram.

Nope. For an IT guy I am woefully behind on such things. Not on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and no blog. It is amazing that I belong to this forum and post. Shows you what an interest in fountain pens can do.

My name is unusual but there is one guy in Canada with the same first & last name. He's a young guy with a strong net presence. Maybe it is him? But I don't even know if names are even revealed on Instagram. Totally clueless . . . .

Terrill via mobile device

---Release what you want to embrace all that is possible---

KrazyIvan
July 29th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Okay, sorry, their avatar is really similar.

TNDent
July 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Okay, sorry, their avatar is really similar.

No problem. It's a picture of our Nebelung cat. I should think of something more distinctive.

Terrill via mobile device
---Release what you want to embrace all that is possible---