PDA

View Full Version : Looking for desk pad

biscuit
September 10th, 2014, 05:15 PM
I have a wooden desk and I would like to some kind of pad or blotter to protect the desk from minor inky mishaps and provide a decent writing surface.

I went by my local office super-store expecting to pick up a basic desk blotter, but all they had were various month-at-a-glance type calendar thingies that didn't really interest me. So I started browsing on line and found a bunch of stuff, but it's hard to get a good idea of the products from just the pictures. So I thought I'd ask here if anyone has recommendations about good products, or where to shop.

I'm sure there are lot of options and everybody's needs are different in this area, so here's what I'm thinking:

Both function and appearance are more important to me on this one than rock bottom price.

It doesn't need to be super fancy hand stitched lamb skin, or anything like that but it shouldn't look like crap either. My desk is a wooden (walnut?) contemporary number from the sixties (used to be my dad's) so I'm looking for something clean and quiet to go with it.

Although I was initially imagining writing on blotter paper (just because I've seen it before) that's not a requirement. Actually I'm really not sure what's the best surface for writing with a fountain pen. I imagine neither super hard (like glass), nor super squishy would be good, but I really don't know.

Thanks!

cwent2
September 10th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Speaking of Glass, that is what I use to cover an area on my desks that I use for working on. The benefit, I get by using glass is that I can design and change the back drop - so to speak. I put post cards, photo's sayings etc under the glass and can at a moments notice add or subtract it from the back drop.

Just a thought.

Kurt S
September 10th, 2014, 06:40 PM
I have an "Artistic Rhinolin II Desk Pad", which I got from my local Staples. It was a little pricey, but it is a very nice surface to write on! They did have different sizes to choose from. I think they are also available on Amazon.

Wile E Coyote
September 11th, 2014, 03:56 AM
I use an Alvin Vyco drawing board cover. Not hard and not exactly soft, definitely not "squishy." It's available in translucent if you have a nice looking desk. otherwise it's two sided green/cream.

gregamckinney
September 11th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I believe Pendemonium sell the full-size desk blotter paper (IIRC in green or white.) Email them if it is not on their site since they just moved.
Regards, greg

jbb
September 11th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I like the blotter paper from this seller. A bit of an investment but it will last a while.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190504781675?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

jbb
September 11th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Here's an old photo taken at a rare moment when both my desk and blotter were clean. (And before I broke the hinge on my elephant inkwell.) Decorative blotter corners are yet another fun, vintage, desk accoutrement you can buy.

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6086/6041602550_cbcf7a6ff2_z.jpg

mmahany
September 11th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I have an "Artistic Rhinolin II Desk Pad", which I got from my local Staples. It was a little pricey, but it is a very nice surface to write on! They did have different sizes to choose from. I think they are also available on Amazon.

A perfect example of why price is subjective and why it's important to give us somewhat of an idea of what you'd prefer to pay.

I have the exact same desk pad (the 20"x36" version) and it's what I consider to be "Rock Bottom" cheap. Don't get me wrong, I don't wipe my backside with $50 bills, but for a desk pad, that's extremely cheap.

If you're looking for something that gets the job done I don't think anyone would balk at seeing this on a $2000 desk. With that said, it's a minimalist's desk pad.

I've had mine for several years now, and I keep telling myself I'll fork over $300-500 on something more impressive. However, there's nothing wrong with mine and therefore little reason to change.

biscuit
September 11th, 2014, 10:25 PM

A perfect example of why price is subjective and why it's important to give us somewhat of an idea of what you'd prefer to pay.

I think $100 would be a reasonable price for something that looks good (subjective I know) and gets the job done. If the thing was amazing and I thought it would be a constant source of joy, then I could go 2-3x that.

Aesthetically in this case I would prefer to avoid materials that were plastic-y -- and stick with leather, glass, metal, etc. For the style of the desk, ornate or "old fashioned" wouldn't work so well. Maybe something like this http://www.theelegantoffice.com/desk-pads/rosewood-and-black-leather-desk-pad-34x20 but I notice it does not accommodate blotter paper. Maybe that's okay but it's hard to know without seeing it in the flesh.

View from the Loft
September 12th, 2014, 06:56 AM
I have something very similar to this on my desk:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/852103/Desk-Pad-Blotter-19-14-H/

Has served me well, and I am still on my first pack of blotting paper after 10 years.

Edited to fix link.