PDA

View Full Version : Pen repair I can trust...

TDolce
September 10th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Anyone know of a trustworthy source that I can send my pen off to for repair? I put a new sac on and it just won't suck up any ink in the bladder. It breaks my heart because I love the nib but when I try to fill it by lifting the lever,....it just won't fill the sac. I'm just not sure I want to send it off because I don't trust people as a general rule unless experience tells me otherwise.

It's an old Moore lever fill with a Maniflex nib.

Worse case scenario is I guess I can wait until February 2015 and see if someone at the Arkansas Pen show can help me. I live in Memphis and there aren't many opportunities to see pen folks in person.

Jon Szanto
September 10th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I can't do a link (on my phone w bad connection) but look up Danny Fudge of The Write Pen. Great work, fast turnaround. You could also check with Dan, who runs this forum, good work, too. I love my Moore pens!

Silverbreeze
September 11th, 2014, 03:58 AM
http://www.thewritepen.net/

TDolce
September 11th, 2014, 06:58 AM
I can't do a link (on my phone w bad connection) but look up Danny Fudge of The Write Pen. Great work, fast turnaround. You could also check with Dan, who runs this forum, good work, too. I love my Moore pens!

Thanks Jon,....I have sent Danny an email.

kirchh
September 11th, 2014, 08:53 AM
if you have put a new sac on the pen there is only two possible problems, perhaps three on a bad day

1. There is an air leak, you havent shellaced the sca in place sufficiently, or used the wrong sized sac.
2. There is a hole in the sac
3. You have twisted the sac when you put the barrel back

Will the sac fill when you squeeze the sac between your fingers, if it does try using french chalk or pure talc when you put the barrell back in place.

It it doesnt, then try re-shellaccing the sac

Other possible problems:

- Incorrect filling technique: not immersing the nib up to the section, or failing to leave the pen immersed long enough for the sac to expand
- Clogged feed
- Missing or detached pressure bar

--Daniel

kirchh
September 11th, 2014, 09:29 AM
if you have put a new sac on the pen there is only two possible problems, perhaps three on a bad day

1. There is an air leak, you havent shellaced the sca in place sufficiently, or used the wrong sized sac.
2. There is a hole in the sac
3. You have twisted the sac when you put the barrel back

Will the sac fill when you squeeze the sac between your fingers, if it does try using french chalk or pure talc when you put the barrell back in place.

It it doesnt, then try re-shellaccing the sac

Other possible problems:

- Incorrect filling technique: not immersing the nib up to the section, or failing to leave the pen immersed long enough for the sac to expand
- Clogged feed
- Missing or detached pressure bar

--Daniel

That was why I suggested testing first with the section and sac away from the barrel, a process of elimination

Yes, but your set of resolutions did not include several possibilities that would pertain to the success or failure of the test you suggested, so I was pointing that out.

--Daniel

TDolce
September 12th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the incredible knowledge sharing guys! I'm betting it may be an air leak.
I sent it off to Danny, so we will see what he says....and I WILL report back to close this out. I'll feel so stupid if it was just a shellac oversight.

We'll soon see.

td

Austin_Malone
September 12th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Dan is great, has a wonderful reputation.

lowks
September 17th, 2014, 02:55 AM
On that note, I have got a couple of old favorites that needs some TLC. Anyone know good pen restorers in the South East Asia region ? Shipping just kills me every time the pens need to go out.