PDA

View Full Version : Could you confirm Terminology for me please

Silverbreeze
September 11th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Captive Converters are when the pen has a converter that is welded or glued into the section, and you can tell its a convert simular to a Pilot Con 20 or Con 50. You still take off the barrel like a normal CC pen its just you can't swap convertors?

Thanks

Tom

Trying to make sure I am understanding the Delta Post Dan made correctly

tandaina
September 11th, 2014, 10:29 AM
A captive converter is a converter that has been "built in" to the pen.

The Visconti Ragtime Limited Edition 20th Anniversary (jeez long name) is a good example. It was marketed as a "piston filler" and because it was all glued together and couldn't be taken apart easily it wasn't obvious that the "piston" part of "piston filler" was a trapped converter. IE a converter they put in and then sealed the pen around. Such converters cannot be removed and swapped out easily, no. In the case of the visconti the converter is so built into the pen that you couldn't replace it with a different conveter (the barrel actually is built just for this one to reveal its piston knob at the end of the barrel for filling.)

And in some cases no, you don't remove the barrel to fill the pen. In some cases the barrel cannot be easily removed at all. Filling is done by removing a blind cap, the barrel actually has a hole the end of the converter emerges from so you can twist it to fill.

Some captive converters *might* need you to remove the barrel but that would seem to defeat teh purpose really. Why glue the converter in if someone still has to look at it. Usually (in my experience) this is done when the company is hiding the fact that there *is* a converter.

Laura N
September 11th, 2014, 04:53 PM
In my opinion a captive converter system is not the best idea. It's got the smaller capacity of a converter but it lacks the convenience of accessing the converter for cleaning (or replacement).

Tony Rex
September 11th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Look up Sheaffer Intrigue.

Frank
September 12th, 2014, 09:39 AM
The 90's models of the Eversharp Skyline pens also had this type of setup......

Murfie
September 17th, 2014, 02:33 AM
In my opinion a captive converter system is not the best idea. It's got the smaller capacity of a converter but it lacks the convenience of accessing the converter for cleaning (or replacement).
Agree entirely Laura. My Marlen Basilea has a captured converter and the barrel cannot be separated from the section making replacement somewhat impossible. I'm one of those who find that the limited ink capacity of most converters (CON 70 excepted) is more than offset by the ease of flushing and replacement. But you negate that advantage entirely by restricting access to it. I would never buy another pen with a captured converter filling system.