PDA

View Full Version : Hi from NY

set2374
September 12th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Hi guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the community. I am Steve and from Long Island, New York (USA). I am 40, married and have a beautiful 3 year old daughter and two Australian Shepherds. I have been collecting watches for years and started developing an interest in fountain pens in the past couple of years.

I had been using disposable Bic pens for years in the office, which hurt my hands and were hard to write with. I don't have great penmanship and disposables didn't help matters. I moved up to cheap and moderately priced rollerballs, which helped a bit. Then serendipity struck. After a long day in court, I found a what I later learned was a Waterman Carene laying on the floor of a deserted courtroom (I am an attorney). It had a super-smooth fine 18k nib. I was in love!!!! After a week with that pen, my hand cramps were gone and my handwriting didn't look like chicken scratch any more!!! Since then, I tried a bunch of cheap Chinese fountain pens with mixed results. I bought a couple of monteverde invincias and a Visconti Rembrandt (black, medium steel nib). I recently added a Montegrappa Deluca (black with rose gold, medium steel nib) and a Montegrappa Classica (blue resin, silver findings and 14k medium nib). I guess I have a thing for sexy Italians. :-). I am just beginning this hobby, but after watching Matt Armstrong and Steven Brown's video reviews, I a fear for my wallet's safety. :)

Any, I am looking forwarding to getting to know you guys and making some new pen pals.

--Steve

Sailor Kenshin
September 12th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Howdy, neighbor, and welcome aboard!

What color was the Carene? I have a Coral M from the ’90s and a more recent Amber Shimmer B.

set2374
September 12th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Howdy Sailor:

I just took a couple of pictures of my starter collection and I'll add a mini-review for each of these pens:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AYFKtY4Be3Q/VBMf4kRaY3I/AAAAAAAAtOk/TI1-3MtJe7Q/s800/IMG_20140912_120935.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nMgyZy3iQoU/VBMf4p2tIzI/AAAAAAAAtPI/PaX-nRUsi80/s800/IMG_20140912_120904.jpg

From left to right:

Montegrappa Ducale (Black resin w/ Rose Gold with rose gold plated medium steel nib): Great looking pen, decent writer. It's a new(er) model and I haven't seen any reviews on it yet, so maybe this will be my first review for the forum. In short, tt looks like it shares a nib with the Fortuna model, if that means anything to you guys. This is a BIG, LONG, Heavy pen. I am not kidding, it's 145mm capped and over 170mm posted (estimated, need to get accurate measurements though). It also weights over 50g, when posted. I am guessing it's right up there with a Montblanc 149 in terms of size. While it does post securely, it's way too to heavy to write with it posted.

Montegrappa Classica (Blue marbled/pearlized resin with silver (925) findings and 14 medium nib [correction, 18k nib]): I just got this pen heavily discounted from the bay a couple of weeks ago. This is a one gorgeous pen---the best looking in my collection thus far. It's a classic cigar shape pen, but the pearlized blue resin is amazing. It is also a great writer so far--much better out of the box than the Ducale. Both the Ducale and the Classica (which I guess I bought as NOS) were the same price (although the Classica's MSRP was $575.00), the classica is by far the better pen and value. Although it is also a big pen (will get measurements later), it posts deeply and securely and I can comfortably write with it posted or unposted. This one looks to be a keeper so far. I saw a red one on the bay that the seller claims is new (nos), for $225 shipped). It's a steal at that price.

Visconti Rembrandt (black marble resin with chrome findings and medium steel nib). This was the first "expensive" pen that I bought for myself. Obviously expensive is a relative term, but it was more than $100,so that was expensive for me at the time. I love the magnetic cap, which does a great job securing the cap to the section/body of the pen. I didn't love the performance out of the box, but after a few days of regular use and a ink change to noodlers eel, the pen broke in nicely and has become a very smooth writer. I also love the clips on visconti pens. They are spring loaded and easy to open, but hold the pen securely in place. Those are the good points. On the negative side of things, the pen isn't well made. the cap band was not securely attached out of the box and I had to epoxy it in place. Six months after purchase the magetic visconti insert on the top of the cap fell out. It ordered a replacement since the piece is meant to be swappable for personalization and is held in place via magnet. Well, apparently the magnet was not properly glued in place and I had lost that as well. So, I had to epoxy the replacement back. This is unacceptable for a $150 pen.

Waterman Carene (Black metal (brass?)barel, lacquer finish, resin/plastic section and 18k fine nib--I think the cap is SS, but not sure). This is the lucky pen that I found and which introduced me to the fountain pen world. It will never leave the collection. It's actually not my taste, but it was a lucky find on the floor and it introduced me to fountain pens. As such, it's a permanent member of the collection and my lucky pen. Others may be more beautiful (more my taste), but no other pen can be my lucky pen. :)

Montblanc XXX. I actually don't know the reference no. on this one. It's a rollerball and I believe it's stainless steel (I don't see any 925 markings). It was given to me as a gift for my birthday (8 years ago?), but it hasn't seen a lot of use. It's a nice pen, but it does not post securely. The cap has a tendency to fly off the pen while in use. I also find it a bit on the small side to use unposted. Anyway, rollerballs have their place, but they just aren't my cup of tea. If I could figure out how to price it, it's one I would consider selling for sure. [Update: Just googled the serial number and found out it's a fake!!! As such, I do NOT have a montblanc in the collect, just a cheap chinese fake with an expensive MB cartridge---which I put in last year].

One last picture:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AnkrnXZb23k/VBMf4pcpk-I/AAAAAAAAtOk/1Jo6t5_Yqr8/s800/IMG_20140912_121000.jpg

Sailor Kenshin
September 12th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks! Oooo, metal cap. Makes the pen look very significant.

There's a MB sub-forum here. Once you know the rollerball's number and approximate value, you can either post it for sale here in Sales or on fleabay.

See you 'round the water cooler.

Winnie
September 12th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Welcome Steve! I am a fellow New Yorker on LI! I have been enjoying FP's for over a year and love them and have gotten my husband using them too. My husband gave me my Visconti (Self Portrait) for my bday, and I am in love with it! Happy writing!

set2374
September 12th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks! Oooo, metal cap. Makes the pen look very significant.

There's a MB sub-forum here. Once you know the rollerball's number and approximate value, you can either post it for sale here in Sales or on fleabay.

See you 'round the water cooler.
Thanks Sailor. I actually brought the mb to the MB boutique in NY a while ago. They couldn't tell me the reference number and apparently couldn't look it up by the serial number. I was unimpressive. It seems they are more interested in selling watches, leather goods and LE pens and their sales people know nothing about the pens they sell. Pathetic!

[Update: I just got a loupe and looked goodled the serial number. Turns out it's a fake!!! My dreams of selling it to fund a more interesting fountain pen just went up in flames. On the bright side, I have more room in my case.]

set2374
September 12th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Welcome Steve! I am a fellow New Yorker on LI! I have been enjoying FP's for over a year and love them and have gotten my husband using them too. My husband gave me my Visconti (Self Portrait) for my bday, and I am in love with it! Happy writing!
Thanks!!! I am glad you are enjoying your Visconti. I wish I had a better experience with mine. I am sure I will add another in the future, but it won't be a Rembrandt (unless it's on clearance for under $100).

Sailor Kenshin
September 12th, 2014, 12:40 PM
The MB Boutique needs to get some pen associates in there.

I know there's a pen club that meets at Hofstra...or there used to be. Wonder if it's time for a more easterly meetup? *crosses fingers*

set2374
September 12th, 2014, 01:11 PM
The MB Boutique needs to get some pen associates in there.

I know there's a pen club that meets at Hofstra...or there used to be. Wonder if it's time for a more easterly meetup? *crosses fingers*

Sailor, Are you on the LI? I wouldn't mind going to a FP meetup! I know they host a pretty large pen show at Hofstra every March. I have never gone before though. I have to usually enjoy my hobbies late at nights when my wife and little girl are asleep. :) I guess that's why I gravitate to watches and now pens...both are small enough that you can tinker with them without needing a lot of space and making a lot of noise. :)

rgperedo
September 12th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Long Island !! I live on the cusp Long Island/Queens

set2374
September 12th, 2014, 04:49 PM

The cusp??? Well, I grew up in Hewlett and my wife is from Rosedale--so we're from the cusp. :) I live in Bellmore now.

rgperedo
September 12th, 2014, 05:17 PM
No way!! I live in Valley Stream and I grew up in Inwood/Far Rockaway. I went to Lawrence High School and Hewlett was our rival school!
Welcome to the forum. I heard of a pen shop out in Melville I haven't done any research I always just go to the Fountain pen hospital, but have you found any shops on LI?

Sailor Kenshin
September 12th, 2014, 05:32 PM

The cusp??? Well, I grew up in Hewlett and my wife is from Rosedale--so we're from the cusp. :) I live in Bellmore now.

No way twice.

That's where I came from.

RonLyke
September 12th, 2014, 05:57 PM
No way!! I live in Valley Stream and I grew up in Inwood/Far Rockaway. I went to Lawrence High School and Hewlett was our rival school!
Welcome to the forum. I heard of a pen shop out in Melville I haven't done any research I always just go to the Fountain pen hospital, but have you found any shops on LI?

No way! I grew up in Freeport, and was in Lawrence High School for a music festival when JFK was killed. Live about 4 hours north now.

set2374
September 12th, 2014, 11:40 PM
It looks like we have a club going already. :-) Are you guys still in the area? Btw, I graduated from hewlett in 1992, so the JFK assassination pre-dates me by ten years. My dad and mom, however, ..... :-)

RonLyke
September 13th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Ouch.

scrivelry
September 13th, 2014, 07:18 AM

I am quite familiar with the cusp...

Sailor Kenshin
September 13th, 2014, 07:51 AM
I'm the odd one out.

set2374
September 13th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Sailor, you are welcomed to join the party anytime.

Sailor Kenshin
September 13th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Sailor, you are welcomed to join the party anytime.

I meant, geographically speaking! :rofl:

cwent2
September 13th, 2014, 03:54 PM
:welcome:to the obsessio.... er Hobby.

set2374
September 13th, 2014, 04:28 PM
:welcome:to the obsessio.... er Hobby.
The watch obsession is pretty strong too, so I'll have to see if I can handle two hobbies. :-)

scrivelry
September 13th, 2014, 06:37 PM
While there is a regular Long Island pen club, I don't see why we couldn't call a Pen Posse... maybe if we're willing to go North Shore and Nassau/Suffolk line we could even get the Sailor to attend...

rgperedo
September 13th, 2014, 07:55 PM
There is an amazing Coffee shop in Valley Stream called Sip This and I know they wouldn't mind if we met up here. I can speak to the owner so they can reserve a table for us. That is if anyone is interested.

VertOlive
September 13th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Well, er, Welcome from Michigan! Nice collection going, Steve!
Now, what about your inks?

scrivelry
September 13th, 2014, 08:40 PM
A Pen Posse meetup sounds awesome - when do you think is a good idea?

speedy400
September 14th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Hi all. I'm from Coram, near Port Jeff.

Mags
September 14th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Sailor Kenshin
September 14th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Hi all. I'm from Coram, near Port Jeff.

I'm going to lobby for a PP nearer to PJ. ;)

DaddysAGeek
September 16th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Hi I'm on Long Island too, Nassau county near Melville. Grew up in PJ.

Sailor Kenshin
September 16th, 2014, 10:43 AM
PJ has changed a LOT.

scrivelry
September 16th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Even in the time I've known it, PJ has changed...

Do you have a suggestion for a PJ PP location? I don't mind driving that far.

rgperedo
September 16th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Maybe we'll do one in Nassau one in Suffolk!

Sailor Kenshin
September 16th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Even in the time I've known it, PJ has changed...

Do you have a suggestion for a PJ PP location? I don't mind driving that far.

Hmmmm...I'd like to come up with someplace that has good hours AND good parking..The PJ library would have the space but zero parking and might frown on our pen squee. The Setauket library has downstairs rooms but I'd have to ask if they can be used.

Most restaurants, while they have good parking and hours, seem far too noisy to host a posse. I know there's a place or two, just can't dredge one up at the moment since I am recovering from a horrible ink-ccident involving my last half-vial of BSIAR.

southpaw52
September 16th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Hello, welcome fellow fp geek.

DaddysAGeek
September 16th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Where is there an existing LI pen group?