PDA

View Full Version : Need help listing Jinhao Replicas

Sadiq
September 13th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Hi guys & gals,

I've been reading some really interesting reviews on these Jinhao pens.

Aside from the 599 (Lamy Safari rep) & the 159 (Montblanc 149 rep)... Are there any other Jinhao replicas of other pens?

I've posted a similar question on FPN & thought I'd see what you folks at FPG could tell me. Thanx in advance:)

KBeezie
September 13th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Most of the ones still branded Jinhao are going to look 'similar-ish' but not quite so strikingly similar like the 599. I don't see the 159 being anything like a 149, at best it's a replica of just about any cigar-style classic pen you could think of.

There may be more close replicas in the Baoer name (under Jinhao), as well as in Duke/Uranus, Wingsung, Crocodile, and some others. A lot of the Baoer seem similar to some of the waterman designs. And I've noticed that some of the clips on the Fountain Pen Revolution Indian pens appear to be a near exact match to a Pelikan clip (with the eye shapes in the top, and the pelican shape bill).

Crocodile seems to be the one that makes loosely similar pens to Montblanc especially skywalker or whatever they're called with the jeweled dome, and are likely the same manufacture behind a number of MontBlanc fakes.

Sadiq
September 13th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Most of the ones still branded Jinhao are going to look 'similar-ish' but not quite so strikingly similar like the 599. I don't see the 159 being anything like a 149, at best it's a replica of just about any cigar-style classic pen you could think of.

There may be more close replicas in the Baoer name (under Jinhao), as well as in Duke/Uranus, Wingsung, Crocodile, and some others. A lot of the Baoer seem similar to some of the waterman designs. And I've noticed that some of the clips on the Fountain Pen Revolution Indian pens appear to be a near exact match to a Pelikan clip (with the eye shapes in the top, and the pelican shape bill).

Crocodile seems to be the one that makes loosely similar pens to Montblanc especially skywalker or whatever they're called with the jeweled dome, and are likely the same manufacture behind a number of MontBlanc fakes.

I do not own any Jinhao's, but from the reviews I've read, they seem to be fairly well made considering the price.

How do the other brands you mentioned stack up when compared to the Jinhao with regards to quality of writing & price?

KBeezie
September 13th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I do not own any Jinhao's, but from the reviews I've read, they seem to be fairly well made considering the price.

How do the other brands you mentioned stack up when compared to the Jinhao with regards to quality of writing & price?

I've had quite a few Jinhaos (they're a hit or miss depending on the model) and I actually have 3 of them for sale here on FPGeek (the 159, a metal 599, and plastic hooded 599).

Certain models have certain quirks and such, for example on the Jinhao 599, the 2nd version in plastic with the traditional open nib aren't all that great, the the nibs just don't seem to perform quite as well as the 1st version (metal w/ crimped nib) or 3rd version (plastic w/ hooded nib). The converters either need to be replaced, or taken apart and regreased. I had over 10 of these 599s, gave away the ones with the opened nibs.

The X450 is a decent one for a heavier pen with some of the more classy styles and colors, but I don't like the ridges on the grip, and the cap tends to be hard to remove and annoying to post (keeps slipping off). I had two of these.

The X750 is a nicer upgrade to the X450, doesn't have all the same colors and styles like the X450, but has a nicer shape to it, the grip is smooth all the way around, and the cap removes easily as well as being easily posted. I had 10 of these.

The 159 is huge compared to most of the other pens, not that much heavier than the X450/X750, has a screw on cap which I like and the grip goes on pretty decently. It's probably my favorite of the Jinhaos that can take a #6 nib (in all the Jinhaos of this size I've owned, I've replaced the nibs where I could, like the 159 I have currently is using a Goulet 2-tone Medium Nib, and a X750 I had I traded away with a Monteverde black-coated Fine nib).

There's also Jinhao 250 ( did a review of it here : http://kbeezie.com/jinhao-250-steel-gold/ ) kind of a smaller version of an X450 with a ribbed grip, but the nib is more of a #5 instead of a #6. Not something I'd use all the time.

I've also tried a Jinhao 611 which is a skinnier metal pen that had a bit of a scratch to it's extra fine hooded nib (something the orange 599 I have performs way better with). That wasn't too shabby if you like skinny pens, though a Kaigelu 363 may be more up your alley if you want more weight.

Baoer seems to be the cheaper offering of Jinhao, all the Baoers I've tried have given me more problems than some of the Jinhaos, especially the Baoer 507 with the "8 Horse" design.

Duke has a couple that are decent but they're also higher priced, such as the Chaplin, or the FatBoy Atomic pen.

I never tried a Crocodile or Picasso, but I've had a couple of Wingsung and Yiren that 'worked' but that's about it, they'd dry up sometimes which would be annoying but they worked.

I think I've had around 40-50 chinese pens since February, and having tried a wide spectrum of $15 and less, I honestly think I would have done a lot better if I just went straight to a Pilot Metropolitan for $15, had two of those both in a fine and medium nib and they've never given me a problem, reliable from the get-go. There's only been a couple Chinese pens like that, and those are the ones I mainly kept to date.

The only reason I'd get another Jinhao or similar pen now days, is if I wanted a very inexpensive body to put a #6 nib into. But by the time I do that, the price is already up over $30 since the nibs I like tend to cost $15 or more by themselves. If I just wanted a pen I could beat around and throw in my pocket for cheap, the $3 Pilot Petit1 works great for me.

edit
I also want to point out, most of the Chinese pens are very attractive, especially for gifts, as I've gifted the Baoer 507 "8 Horse" as well as the Jinhao X750 to friends/family and such, but to date they are not used. They are kept because they're attractive, but they're not used because they became unreliable for them just after a couple of days of not writing, and the 507 (all three with different inks) have dried up in less than a week evaporating the ink out of them.

For my younger brother who is now a student teacher, and for my mother, both of which who were gifted the Jinhao/Baoer pens, I've given them both Pilot Petit1 and they use those daily without issue.

Only the Jinhao 159 and the two 599 I have currently continued to stay reliable and easy flowing.

Sailor Kenshin
September 13th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I got my x450 set from xfountainpens, and in spite of swearing off metal-bodied pens, and not being able to post them, the 450 crew stays in heavy rotation, because they are garden hoses that show off the qualities of shading inks to perfection.

gbryal
September 13th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I don't know of any pens they make that are similar or inspired by other pens other than what was mentioned, but then again I mistake a lot of pens for each other. You could browse their full inventory here, though:

http://jinhaopen.com/en/product.asp?id=134

KBeezie
September 13th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I got my x450 set from xfountainpens, and in spite of swearing off metal-bodied pens, and not being able to post them, the 450 crew stays in heavy rotation, because they are garden hoses that show off the qualities of shading inks to perfection.

159 is like that, with the Goulet Medium nib on it, the feed provides a very juicy flow, especially with just a waterman intense black cartridge. I'd never put something lubricated into it again like Noodler's Black Eel or Monteverde Blue or Black because it would take forever to dry, but nearly anything else, works wonderfully.

But like the X450, it's not very practical to post, it's already a large pen. It's the only pen I have that won't fit into leather case or pen wrap and barely fits into my zipper case. I'm also surprised how with that one specifically the pain remains intact yet on my Monteverde Nighthawk it's already brassing.

Sadiq
September 13th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I've had quite a few Jinhaos...

Wow, you've given me a lot to think about...thanx

I've gotten a few responses on FPN & would still like to know if there are any other replica/substitudes. Some that were mentioned were the Jinhao 500 vs Pelikan M400, also the Jinhao 15 vs Waterman Serenite. I'd like to hear about more :)

PS - that's a pretty awesome review of the Jinhao 250!

Sadiq
September 13th, 2014, 11:26 AM
....You could browse their full inventory here, though:

Thanx...will do! There are tons of models, this is going to take some time:)

KBeezie
September 13th, 2014, 11:31 AM
....You could browse their full inventory here, though:

Thanx...will do! There are tons of models, this is going to take some time:)

Is there a specific goal in mind?

Sadiq
September 13th, 2014, 12:00 PM
...Is there a specific goal in mind?

As per my original post, I'd like to know of any other Jinhao pens that are similar to other branded pens...some I or other newbies might not be able to afford but would like a cheaper nice looking & working substitute pen (even if they need some tweaking).

Out of the ones listed already, the 159 seems like something worth trying. I wouldn't mind checking out some more.

KBeezie
September 13th, 2014, 12:04 PM
...Is there a specific goal in mind?

As per my original post, I'd like to know of any other Jinhao pens that are similar to other branded pens...some I or other newbies might not be able to afford but would like a cheaper nice looking & working substitute pen (even if they need some tweaking).

Out of the ones listed already, the 159 seems like something worth trying. I wouldn't mind checking out some more.

I guess what I mean to say is, are you looking for a specific pen or are you just simply after a pen that is a knockoff/replica of a known brand.

Sadiq
September 13th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I guess what I mean to say is, are you looking for a specific pen or are you just simply after a pen that is a knockoff/replica of a known brand.

There is no specific pen I'm looking for, but I would like to read reviews of Jinhaos listed in this thread & maybe find a few replicas I'd like to try.

At the moment the Jinhao 159 is a definite. Maybe after a few more posts I'd be looking at ordering 3-4 different Jinhaos.

Just as a side note - I'm a newbie, been using FP's for about 2yrs now. I have 4 FP's currently & don't even know the half of what's out there :)

mrcharlie
September 13th, 2014, 08:04 PM
The 500 has the finial shape and overall shape of a Pelikan, but is not even close to being a replica. It is as far away from being a replica as the 159 is from a MB 149, if not more so.

Sailor Kenshin
September 14th, 2014, 07:24 AM

There is no specific pen I'm looking for, but I would like to read reviews of Jinhaos listed in this thread & maybe find a few replicas I'd like to try.

At the moment the Jinhao 159 is a definite. Maybe after a few more posts I'd be looking at ordering 3-4 different Jinhaos.

Just as a side note - I'm a newbie, been using FP's for about 2yrs now. I have 4 FP's currently & don't even know the half of what's out there :)

Just be aware that the 159 is HUGE. And heavy. I wish I had ordered mine in black, rather than the garish mirror-finish that makes it look like a sci-fi invader.

Sadiq
September 14th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Just be aware that the 159 is HUGE. And heavy. I wish I had ordered mine in black, rather than the garish mirror-finish that makes it look like a sci-fi invader.

:) haha, thanx for telling me. Luckily I prefer black pens to any other colours.

I do realize how big the 159's are & after reading a few more Jinhao reviews, I may decide to purchase an x750 instead of the 159. It also has the cigar look & I like the black with chrome trim.

AtomicLeo
September 14th, 2014, 09:01 AM
I own a Jinhao x450, 321 and 599 (PIF from KBreezie). The x450 is too heavy for me but writes well. The 321 is a "51" clone and it is a great little pen. Too bad they do not make them anymore and the 599 I haven't made my mind up yet. I'm still breaking it in at work.

I own one Picasso and I have to say it is the best built Chinese pen I own. Cap fits snug and posts well. A bit of a dry writer, so it doesn't get much use.

gbryal
September 14th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I do realize how big the 159's are & after reading a few more Jinhao reviews, I may decide to purchase an x750 instead of the 159. It also has the cigar look & I like the black with chrome trim.

I like the thicker section in the 159, and kind of like the screw-on cap more than the friction cap on the 750, but they are both good pens. The matte black 750 is much better for fingerprints, and IMHO has a less silly clip (the little shield on the clip of the 159 sort of bothers me).

I have had good luck with Jinhao nibs though they have tended to be a little too smooth IIRC and I kind of had to press and slide the nib in an unpleasant way (but respond well to some mylar paper). I replaced all of them with Goulet's JoWos, as I have found those to be consistently good. I only wish I had gotten my ink drop membership before that and just bought the full set of GP nibs at once for a discount.

I've been considering getting a Jinhao 650, still not sure about it yet. And it will mean I'll probably be buying yet another JoWo nib.

KBeezie
September 14th, 2014, 11:04 AM
A little while back a friend asked me for some kind of comparison to the Jinhao 159 to a Sailor 1911M (Midsize/Standard) so I quickly snapped these three shots showing capped, uncapped, and posted. The 1911M is just a tiny bit smaller than a Platinum Century 3776.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/1911M/159_capped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/1911M/159_uncapped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/1911M/159_posted.jpg

And you can see it compared to some of the others I have in this tray I'm selling:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/sales/sept_2014/capped.jpg (http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/sales/sept_2014/capped_large.jpg)

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/sales/sept_2014/uncapped.jpg (http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/sales/sept_2014/uncapped_large.jpg)

The orange and green one next to the 159 are Jinhao 599s one 1st generation metal, and one 3rd generation plastic. Also that is not the nib the Jinhao 159 comes with, that's a 2-tone Goulet Medium, much nicer than the Jinhao nibs.

Sadiq
September 14th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I like the thicker section in the 159, and kind of like the screw-on cap more than the friction cap on the 750...

If I had a choice I'd take the screw-on cap. The friction cap on the 750, is it similar to the Parker 45 friction cap (smooth slide action) or does it slid & click closed like the Vector? I do like the P45's cap a lot.

A little while back a friend asked me for some kind of comparison to the Jinhao 159 to a Sailor 1911M...

Thanx so much for the comparison pics. I'm assuming the Jinhao would be the heavier of the 2?

Can you send me a link to your ad? I've tried searching but can't seem to find anything.

KBeezie
September 14th, 2014, 12:47 PM
A little while back a friend asked me for some kind of comparison to the Jinhao 159 to a Sailor 1911M...

Thanx so much for the comparison pics. I'm assuming the Jinhao would be the heavier of the 2?

Can you send me a link to your ad? I've tried searching but can't seem to find anything.

Oh yea, definitely heavier. Around 50 grams (31g body, 19g cap) instead of a little under 20 grams. (The Platinum Century 3776 is exactly 20 grams, with the cap being 10, and body being 10).

The 159 is essentially a brass pen with a thick black lacquered paint on it. It's the largest pen I currently own.

Also the ad is here http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/8617

You can find it normally by scrolling down the forums to the 'classified' section then 'for sale' subforum.

Also if you're curious.

A write sample of the Jinhao 159's stock medium that I had to smooth a little bit with waterman intense black:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jinhao159/jinhao_wib.jpg

compared to the Goulet 2-tone Medium nib that's currently installed on it

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jinhao159/goulet_wib.jpg

The Goulet is smoother and more consistent, ink stays right where it starts down to where it ends (where as on the Jinhao nib you might notice how it sometimes doesn't quite 'catch' the ink onto the paper when starting the stroke).

The Jinhao X450, X750, and 159 accept typical #6 nibs (ie: Knox K35, Nemosine, Goulet, Jowo #6, Monteverde, larger TWSBI nibs, some Edison nibs, etc).

Those are sheets from Rhodia No.10 pad so no bigger than 2x2.9in

Sadiq
September 14th, 2014, 01:19 PM
A write sample of the Jinhao 159...

Wow, that goulet nib sample looks good hey!

Thanx for the link, will check it out.

KBeezie
September 14th, 2014, 01:25 PM
A write sample of the Jinhao 159...

Wow, that goulet nib sample looks good hey!

Thanx for the link, will check it out.

The nice thing is you can get the Goulet nibs anywhere from Extra-Fine up to 1.5 Stub. (based on western/jowo sizing, not Japanese).

Can see both the Goulet EF (in the Nighthawk) And the Goulet 1.5 (In the Nemosine Singularity) on this write sample I did back in late August.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/inked/aug_27_augmented.jpg

I see the Jinhao and similar pens that can take a different nib as sort of a "barebone" fountain pen, meaning you can replace the nib and converter to tweak it up a nicer pen if you prefer the weight and girth of them, but wanted to keep the price under 50 (Since you can get heavier western pens over that, but then pricing becomes a factor).

You can even spend a bit on a Franklin-Christoph #6 nib (http://www.franklin-christoph.com/fountain-pen-nibs.html), take it out of the collar and put it into a Jinhao. I even seen a guy spend a $100 for a 14K Gold nib to put in his Jinhao X750 (a bit crazy to me but...)

gbryal
September 14th, 2014, 01:33 PM
If I had a choice I'd take the screw-on cap. The friction cap on the 750, is it similar to the Parker 45 friction cap (smooth slide action) or does it slid & click closed like the Vector? I do like the P45's cap a lot.

My 750 needs a fair amount of force to open and close, and closes with a firm click. That also means that when you open and close it, you are pushing and then it suddenly jumps forward or back and could possibly splatter ink inside the cap, though I don't think that has happened with mine.

KBeezie
September 14th, 2014, 01:35 PM
My 750 needs a fair amount of force to open and close, and closes with a firm click. That also means that when you open and close it, you are pushing and then it suddenly jumps forward or back and could possibly splatter ink inside the cap, though I don't think that has happened with mine.

I had this problem on both my X450 FP and X450 RB, but not with any of the 10 X750s I had (one of them was very loose, but the others were decent). So seems to be more an issue with the X450.

mrcharlie
September 14th, 2014, 02:39 PM
The X750 requires a firm click and makes more noise than I'd like, especially capping. I wouldn't want to need to take the cap on and off to make notes in a conference room during a business meeting. The 500 I have is even more so (louder both capping and uncapping, more pressure needed). Small sample size (one of each) so I don't know if all 500s are louder than all X750s, etc. But both are loud relative to other brands of pens with snap caps, or even a Jinhao 599.

Both are much louder and require more force than a Vector.

KBeezie
September 14th, 2014, 02:48 PM
The X750 requires a firm click and makes more noise than I'd like, especially capping. I wouldn't want to need to take the cap on and off to make notes in a conference room during a business meeting. The 500 I have is even more so (louder both capping and uncapping, more pressure needed). Small sample size (one of each) so I don't know if all 500s are louder than all X750s, etc. But both are loud relative to other brands of pens with snap caps, or even a Jinhao 599.

Both are much louder and require more force than a Vector.

It's funny you mention that, as someone who has severe-to-profound hearing loss, The X750 and X450 both had a noticeable click to it. I could really feel it, but its also somewhat startling how easily it's heard even in a mild environment.

And speaking of not wanting that loud clicking noise in something like a business meeting, both of my Pilot Vanishing points (Capless) click just as loud if not louder than capping an X750 when you go to extend or retract the nib.

The Jinhao 250 I reviewed which is about the same size as an X750 but smaller nib, does the same kind of click, but it has a certain vibration to it like it's padded with rubber down near the bottom of the cap.

The Lamy Safari also has a noticeable click when capping but it's more ... dulled? (hard to explain), but the Pilot Petit1 is nearly silent (least to me) when capping, but the section where it grips onto is not a 'ring' or grove bit some softer nubs around the section.

It might be one of the reasons why the 159 was more desired outside of it's size, it just screws on.

KrazyIvan
September 14th, 2014, 04:05 PM
I forgot the model but I have one that is an obvious Parker Doufold homage. Edit: it's the Century.

http://flic.kr/p/a6iSHB

Sadiq
September 14th, 2014, 04:28 PM
... the 599 I haven't made my mind up yet...

I like the 599c models, they look like safari demonstrators in various colors.

I'll have a look at some Picasso pens, thank you.

Sailor Kenshin
September 14th, 2014, 04:55 PM

A friend showed me his technique for that and I've been using it ever since, but it's tough to describe. Ease the cap off, using the fingers of the hand that holds it.

mrcharlie
September 15th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Yeah; always do the one hand technique with snap caps. Always.

Sadiq
September 15th, 2014, 02:47 AM
A friend showed me his technique for that and I've been using it ever since, but it's tough to describe. Ease the cap off, using the fingers of the hand that holds it.

Yeah; always do the one hand technique with snap caps. Always.

This makes sense...such a simple solution to jerking your pen & having to deal with ink splatter :)