PDA

View Full Version : Lamy 2000 - Slippery Section?

gbryal
September 13th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Considering the Lamy 2000 but haven't tried one and am a little concerned that if I get one, the taper of the pen and the material will lead to my fingers sliding down to the nib. This happens to me with smooth metal sections. Is the makrolon and the texture sufficient to keep a loose grip and not slide around on the pen?

Laura N
September 13th, 2014, 12:40 PM
For me, there's absolutely no problem. The section is metal, not the same material as the pen, but as you say it's brushed. I personally find this a very comfortable pen for long writing sessions.

The only issue I've ever read is with a small number of people who grip very high on the pen and find their fingers hit the little bits that grip the cap. That would be uncomfortable. You'd have to grip very, very high, though. I get that myself with some normal pens when the cap threads are too close to the nib (or the section too short), but that does not happen for me with the Lamy 2000.

Of course the only way to know for sure is to try it.

LagNut
September 13th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I also have had no problem with that. I guess I am also a person who grips high, because those little ears help me find the right grip. It's not on my fingertips, but back closer to the first joint, so there's little pressure on them, but enough to know they're there. My grip in general is about as loose as possible, because I prefer writing with very slight pressure. I use 4B lead, and my pens will write with only their own weight. So I think I would notice slippery sections, but I haven't.

Try one out though, if you can. It's a different feel than any pen I can think of, and the nibs are nails, in my experience.

Cheers
Mike

Zhivago
September 13th, 2014, 08:51 PM
I do find the section a bit slippery and try to grip the pen with only very little of my fingers touching it; but this does bring the 'ears' more into play. All in all, I deal with it. The 2000 has other virtues that make me like it a lot, but the section isn't a strong point for me.

velo
September 13th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Considering the Lamy 2000 but haven't tried one and am a little concerned that if I get one, the taper of the pen and the material will lead to my fingers sliding down to the nib. This happens to me with smooth metal sections. Is the makrolon and the texture sufficient to keep a loose grip and not slide around on the pen?

You really should try one in the flesh. When I bought mine online my heart sank when it arrived and I saw how thin the tapered section was. I knew this was going to be a problem.

Now, I'm not so sure that area is where you would grip the pen. If it wasn't hooded but a full size nib you would probably be gripping nearer the ears on the makrolon which is what I do now. I don't have any problems with the grip on the body.

Jeph
September 14th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I don't find the aluminum section slippery in the least.
I do find it cold to the touch when I first start but other than that I have no issues.
I find that pens with long tapered sections are more comforatble for me to hold since they do not force any specific finger location and it allows me to place my fingers naturally.
I also agree that you should try one first if possible. That is worth more than hundreds of opinions.

Ernst Bitterman
September 15th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I've never had a problem with mine, but I've also never considered holding it as low as the metal fore-piece. It's not an inherently slippery pen.

gbryal
September 15th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I have one on the way now, so I'll let y'all know how it goes.

gbryal
September 19th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I received the pen. It's fine, so far I haven't found the section especially slippery. I actually grasp it in such a way that my index finger is on one of the ears anyway, so that holds my hand in place.

So far the pen has been exactly as most people describe it.